How do you tone up (woman)?

tarisa01
tarisa01 Posts: 26 Member
Hi, I’ve lost about 70 lbs through only cardio this last year. I’ve gone from 240lbs to 170lbs. I’m female and 5’3”, 23 years old. This being said, I’ve done no strength training and I need to tone up. I have NO idea how. I’ve googled and googled and watched YouTube and just have no clue where to start. I can’t even do a single push up (that’s how beginner I am). What sort of workout should I be doing? How often? How long? I’m just so completely lost.

Replies

• ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    By the way, it is entirely normal to not be able to do a push-up. Compared to men (who most programmes are written for) women have much less upper-body strength. You need to start with knee push-ups or wall push-ups and slowly work up to 'proper' toe push-ups. After a year of regular BodyPump, I can do... five? And I'm not sure I'm quite getting as low as I should :)
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    edited April 2019
    I've been strength training for a couple of years and still can barely do one push up :lol: even though I have a lot of upper body strength from competitive rowing. I sub with wall push-ups and do planks instead if they are in a routine I am doing.

I found this video a good starting point, can be done at home with light dumbbells or even water bottles to start with and then you can increase weight as you are comfortable. I still do it as an extra full body workout with much heavier weights, years later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIHy-ZnSndA

• tirowow12385
    tirowow12385 Posts: 698 Member
    Lift heavy.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I started with Stronglifts 5X5, personally. There's a free app you can download that will track your lifts and weights. Their website has videos showing how to do the lifts.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    you can do resistance training. you can lift. you can do body weight exercises. whatever floats your boat
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,961 Member
    ceiswyn wrote: »
    By the way, it is entirely normal to not be able to do a push-up. Compared to men (who most programmes are written for) women have much less upper-body strength. You need to start with knee push-ups or wall push-ups and slowly work up to 'proper' toe push-ups. After a year of regular BodyPump, I can do... five? And I'm not sure I'm quite getting as low as I should :)

In my experience, starting with wall push-ups (or whatever surface gives you an angle you can manage) is a much better way to progress to standard push-ups than starting with your knees on the ground. It was the one really good use I found for the Smith machine. Do your push-ups with your hands on the weight bar and keep moving it down as you gain strength.
  • nocgirl72
    nocgirl72 Posts: 139 Member
    I have been strength training and doing cardio for going on 4 months. You are off to a fantastic start with all that weight loss. GREAT job.

I hired a trainer who showed me exactly what to do. It is all about the weights and resistance. There are also a couple good apps one is called Sweat and it will help you develop a workout. You basically need to focus on 1 body part per day. I have lean toned arms for the first time ever because every 3 days or so it arm day. I do 4 sets of 4 different exercises, then usually 3x3 or 4x3 of more. Then off to do cardio. Workout over. Then the next day abs. Then the next day legs-quads, gluts, calves, squats and lunges are GREAT for legs and butt. You will see results but it will take time. After about 60 days I started to see muscle definition and toning up.
  • whoami67
    whoami67 Posts: 297 Member
    I'll second the above poster who recommended HASFit's Youtube channel and website. I use them a lot for stretching, balance, warmups and cool downs. The trainers have a really nice manner and way of explaining things. It's free and you don't need much equipment, if any. My preferred exercise is Tracy Anderson's workouts these days.