The SCALE HAVEN'T GONE DOWN IN 2 WEEKS!!!

Options
sandlinal
sandlinal Posts: 7 Member
I have been watching carbs and sugar and stay within my calorie intake and exercise..am I the only one going through this?

Replies

• sandlinal
    Options
    So far I started drinking more water in the past couple of days. A gallon a day
  • sandlinal
    Options
    It was when I first started. Okay thank you
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    sandlinal wrote: »
    It was when I first started. Okay thank you

When you first start making changes to your eating (particularly if you've cut carbs specifically) you are likely to experience a bigger drop in water weight at the beginning. It's the trend over time that matters not the week-to-week.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    How often are you weighing yourself?
    Are you doing it at the same time and same 'situation'?

Weight management is messy. The weight you see on the scale is more than just body fat. It's also fluid, waste in your digestive system and other stuff. All that other stuff will fluctuate which can mask a reduction in body fat so the key is to minimise as many of those factors as possible, keeping in mind that it's impossible to remove them entirely.

First way to introduce some consistency is to weight in with the same scale, in the same clothes (or lack thereof), and at the same time/situation. I for example weigh myself first thing in the morning immediately after using the toilet and before I put any clothes on.

How often you weigh yourself can also be revealing. Many people find if they weigh too often they develop an unhealthy obsession with the scale so weighing once a week (or less frequently) works for them but with that you need to bare in mind that so few data points mean you need a longer timescale for weight loss trend to be revealed (we're talking months here, not weeks). An alternative that many, including myself, find better is daily trend weighing. This involves weighing yourself every day and using a weight trending app (libra scale, happy scale, etc). The benefit here is that you're gathering data every day which means you can see the downward trend your weight is taking amongst all the wild (and completely normal) ups and downs.

In any case, patience is a critical part of weight management. Our bodies change at what seems like a glacial pace so rapid changes in how we approach the processes can be a progress killer.
  • Dreamwa1ker
    Dreamwa1ker Posts: 196 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Make sure your logging is tight (food scale etc). But 2 weeks doesn't always mean much. I didn't lose anything last month despite doing everything the same and logging meticulously with a scale (Though I did have a sinus infection for about a week of it). Then this past few days it finally came back off in a spurt and I'm right where I should have been for my 1lb/week rate of loss. 17 weeks and down 17 pounds! In the long run it comes out at a nice consistent average, but week to week and day to day there is LOTS of variation. See total loss this year:
    zc12srwm28qz.png
    Vs if I looked at just April where I literally was the exact same weight at the end of the month
    yk162c4mog2x.png
    Also if you are someone who gets a period that cycle can also have an impact on any particular week. If you do this for a while you may notice a trend with it (I bloat at roughly the same time every month). But it will then come back off later in the cycle.
  • rvfamilyfour
    rvfamilyfour Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Boy do I know what you mean. I lost weight the first two weeks, then didn't lose anything then gained a pound. I have decided to stop weighing myself once a week and try once a month. I am focusing on my carbs/sugar intake, calories and increasing my exercise regime.
    You've got this. The important thing is stick with and focus on being and feeling healthy.
    I have to say I am already feeling better and I know it will only get better!
    Stay Strong
  • brittanystebbins95
    brittanystebbins95 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Mine either! I weigh myself weekly. i have been following my calories and macros to a T, and I have been running nearly every day, and lifting weights 4-6 times per week.
    My scale has actually gone UP by about a pound and a half. Talk about discouraging.
    My best advice is just trust the process. It could be recomp, it could be water retention, it could be just about anything. I am heading for my menstrual cycle so I'm assuming thats why mine is occurring, but its still disheartening to see the number creep back up when I feel like it should be going down.
    What usually happens for me is the scale won't move for a long while, then I'll drop 3 or 4 pounds out of nowhere. Just trust the process and stay consistent.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    There are many different factors which could be causing the lack of the scale going down. Water weight, muscle gain, etc. Don't get discouraged! Try to focus on the non scale victories. (:
  • ca_josh
    ca_josh Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Remember that if you are new to exercising, your body will build muscle quickly (newbie gains)!

The weight will come off, just give your body some time to adjust to the new routine 💪😎
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    *hasn't
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    Eat 100 calorie less, work out 100 calories more, until you see a change.