Sesamoid Fracture

Options
ZLARZ
ZLARZ Posts: 63 Member
I have recently been diagnosed with a sesamoid fracture. We are doing the ice and rest for healing. I have took it easy for a couple months now but am ready to get back to working out. I would usually jog for 30 mins but that is definitely out now... I got a stationary bike for cardio. Tried some lunges... that's a big no. Don't know what I was thinking there....
So none of my go to are possible anymore ( running, planks, lunges, etc)
Just looking for some experience and advice on good excercises I can do.

Replies

• Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I broke the medial sesamoid on my left foot some time ago but never knew it. It healed poorly and is now arthritic, along with my big toe joint (hallux rigidus). I am a runner but my foot does a good job telling me when I need to rest it. During those times, I swim. Elliptical or stationary bike sounds like a good idea; you could also just start walking and increase your distance/add some running as you feel better. I can't do push-ups, planks, etc. for long before having pain in that area, either. What makes those do-able is doing them up against the couch or on a set of stairs -- you're not getting the use of all your body weight but it's something. You could do more upper body stuff in the meantime like rowing or weight lifting.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I fractured my foot a little higher, but similar I couldn't bend it without pain. It took about 5-6 months to fully heal. I could still lift weights no problem as long it was flat footed, so no lunges. No yoga or pushups. For cardio, I used the ski-erg.