Calories Counting or Low Carb?

Options
Just getting back into my fitness and putting my health first. I walk about 17,000 steps a day and am pretty active. I’m losing my butt so I will start doing the stair master at the gym next week LOL.

However I need to lose my stomach. I know I can’t pick and choose where I lose it from but I think what I’m eating has a pretty large impact (I consume a ton of sugar, it’s my weakness).

Which route is more beneficial for wait loss; low carb or calorie counting?!

Replies

• zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    You can't spot reduce fat off your stomach by what you eat, it just doesn't work like that. If you're at a lower weight already, reducing carb intake may diminish the appearance of bloating due to water retention. But that's not fat loss and it will come back when you up your carb intake again.

Weight loss comes down to being a the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. Macros ratios comes in a distant second and is what helps with satiety levels and then people with certain medical conditions may also have to follow certain ratios.

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    They aren't mutually exclusive. You need to be in a calorie deficit to lose weight. Some people, like myself, find calorie restriction easier by eating a low carb diet. Some people find simply restricting their calories works for them. At the end of the day, you need to learn what will work best for you and what you will be able to stick with for the long haul.

As for losing your butt, just adding more cardio won't help, I strongly suggest that you look in to Strength Training. The New Rules of Lifting Weights for Women is a great book and can definitely help get you started if you aren't already familiar with it.
  • Joie_de_vivre17
    Joie_de_vivre17 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    It’s all about input vs output. You simply have to eat a surplus of calories to gain weight and a deficit to lose weight.

From my experience though, the most success I have is when I also prioritize my calories within that intentional deficit to be low carb. I find that a high carb diet leaves me hungry all the time, craving High calorie foods with sugar and I end up sabotagging my own success by succumbing to the hunger pains and high calorie sugar cravings. If you eat restricted calories and simultaneously keep your carbs low, you won’t feel AS hungry and your cravings will be reduced.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    It’s all about input vs output. You simply have to eat a surplus of calories to gain weight and a deficit to lose weight.

From my experience though, the most success I have is when I also prioritize my calories within that intentional deficit to be low carb. I find that a high carb diet leaves me hungry all the time, craving High calorie foods with sugar and I end up sabotagging my own success by succumbing to the hunger pains and high calorie sugar cravings. If you eat restricted calories and simultaneously keep your carbs low, you won’t feel AS hungry and your cravings will be reduced.

Just as far as the bolded, this is not true for everyone. Some folks (like me!) find fats such as nuts, cheese, and some meats very easy to overeat, and find carbs (especially starchy or fibrous carbs) quite satiating. But some folks are like you finding fats filling and carbs not so much :smile:

Yup! A piece of fruit will hold me over better than fatty things ever will. It is all personal preference.

As far as the OPs question, calorie counting and low carb aren't mutually exclusive. You could do both, but there isn't any special weight lost benefit to low carb. As mentioned for some people, it will help them feel fuller. For others, that's not the case. But outside of that, you lose weight by being in a calorie deficit, regardless of how you achieve it.
  • Joie_de_vivre17
    Joie_de_vivre17 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »

Just as far as the bolded, this is not true for everyone. Some folks (like me!) find fats such as nuts, cheese, and some meats very easy to overeat, and find carbs (especially starchy or fibrous carbs) quite satiating. But some folks are like you finding fats filling and carbs not so much :smile:

Good point! I think it is important to figure out what keeps you feeling full so you can stay within the calories you have allotted yourself. I guess it is subjective what makes one person feel full versus another. Good luck on your journey!
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    jmachiejr wrote: »
    I don't know why people think a low carb diet isn't sustainable. I've been in ketosis for 3 months and it's actually quite easy. I've lost around 60 lbs so far eating this way and I'm never hungry.

Being never hungry is problematic in and of itself, just fyi. 60lbs in 3 months works out to 20lbs a month, and that's not safe for a lot of people.

This is exactly what I'm dealing with right now. I recently switched to a lower carb woe, and while I'm really enjoying this style of eating, it's been acting as an appetite suppressant and I can't get my weight to stabilize/stop losing. I'm in maintenance and already at a lower BMI, not looking to lose weight. It's becoming a pain in the bum and I'm forcing myself to eat more, just to get in enough calories.