Package Handler - How do I know how many calories I burn?

Options
Hi everyone!

I've been working at FedEx Ground for a while and have not been able to figure out a good way to figure out how many calories I burn. They are strict about electronics and won't let anyone wear Fitbits or similar electronics inside the building. (We DEFINITELY are not allowed to bring in and wear phones, either!)

I start my shift loading trailers for 15 minutes (prime) and then I pick-the-belt (so I'm called a "belt picker") for about 4 hours. That particular package handler position involves moving ICs, which are objects like tires of all sizes, trampolines, carpets, furniture, bikes, bumpers and car parts, hazmats (hazardous materials), and basically anything that is odd-shaped, metal, or packages over 60lbs.

For my second shift, I load boxes for about 4 hours and IC load as well. (IC loading involves loading down trailers with the items mentioned above. *Note: An IC loader and belt picker are two different but similar jobs. )

Would anyone happen to have similar experiences or suggestions to try to get my exercise portion as close as accurate as possible?

FWIW This is not only for my own curiosity, but I have some health issues and my doctors keep telling me to exercise, and I don't think they quite understand my work. I would like to show them my exercise in as accurate way as possible with numbers.

Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,996 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    iwrluia wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

I've been working at FedEx Ground for a while and have not been able to figure out a good way to figure out how many calories I burn. They are strict about electronics and won't let anyone wear Fitbits or similar electronics inside the building. (We DEFINITELY are not allowed to bring in and wear phones, either!)

I start my shift loading trailers for 15 minutes (prime) and then I pick-the-belt (so I'm called a "belt picker") for about 4 hours. That particular package handler position involves moving ICs, which are objects like tires of all sizes, trampolines, carpets, furniture, bikes, bumpers and car parts, hazmats (hazardous materials), and basically anything that is odd-shaped, metal, or packages over 60lbs.

For my second shift, I load boxes for about 4 hours and IC load as well. (IC loading involves loading down trailers with the items mentioned above. *Note: An IC loader and belt picker are two different but similar jobs. )

Would anyone happen to have similar experiences or suggestions to try to get my exercise portion as close as accurate as possible?

FWIW This is not only for my own curiosity, but I have some health issues and my doctors keep telling me to exercise, and I don't think they quite understand my work. I would like to show them my exercise in as accurate way as possible with numbers.

Don't count it as exercise...it is your job, you should be picking an activity level that best describes your day to day work per the descriptors and let MFP give you an estimate.

In regard to your doctors, you just need to explain to them that you have a physical job.

Have you been logging your food on MFP? If you have been, or if you start, you can figure out how many calories you are burning in a day based on calorie intake and the changes (if any) in your weight over time. Two months of data should give you a pretty good handle on your TDEE. Then you can reverse engineer from a calorie calculator's estimate of your sedentary maintenance needs to figure out the difference which -- assuming you're not doing exercise outside of work, which it sounds like you're not -- should be your work-related activity burn.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,051 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I would set up Myfitnesspal using the highest Activity level they offer in Goals.

Log food as accurately as you can for a couple months and see what happens with your weight. I lost all my weight without any kind of body-tracking device. I just worked at it and adjusted as I went along.

• apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Your normal daily routine does not "count" as exercise in MFP. "Exercise" according to MFP's model is intentional physical activity that you do in addition to your normal routine. That activity would be logged separately. Your normal routine is accounted for in your MFP activity level.

Set your activity level to the highest one available, see what your weight does over the next month, and adjust accordingly.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

"Exercise" is so generic - depending on the particular health issue, even more so. You are certainly very active through your day, with a lot of it involved with full-body functional lifting. That "get more exercise" prescription probably needs to be made more specific. Good luck. I also like nowine4me's suggestion of a "stealth" tracker if you could get away with it.
  • iwrluia
    iwrluia Posts: 6 Member
    Options

Have you been logging your food on MFP? If you have been, or if you start, you can figure out how many calories you are burning in a day based on calorie intake and the changes (if any) in your weight over time. Two months of data should give you a pretty good handle on your TDEE. Then you can reverse engineer from a calorie calculator's estimate of your sedentary maintenance needs to figure out the difference which -- assuming you're not doing exercise outside of work, which it sounds like you're not -- should be your work-related activity burn.

I just recently had to make a new account since I couldn't get into my last one, but I've been logging everything I've had to eat so far. That is good advice, I didn't even think of something like that. I still do a bit of exercise outside of work, but it's more of going on walks, running with or chasing my son, house cleaning, that general stuff. I don't sit down much. I try to rest a bit but I do a lot of stretching. I also do physical therapy exercises and a bit of Pilates, since those two seem to go hand in hand most of the time.
  • iwrluia
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Hi everyone!

Don't count it as exercise...it is your job, you should be picking an activity level that best describes your day to day work per the descriptors and let MFP give you an estimate.

In regard to your doctors, you just need to explain to them that you have a physical job.

Thanks for helping me get that clarification! :smile: The doctors will take a bit of work. I've explained it several times before. I've had a few lab doctors that have been package handlers and totally understand my position, but my primary and her assistant (both very sweet) are having a bit of trouble. Perhaps I can get in touch with one of my lab doctors to also help clarify some things with my primary.
  • iwrluia
    Options
    apullum wrote: »
    Your normal daily routine does not "count" as exercise in MFP. "Exercise" according to MFP's model is intentional physical activity that you do in addition to your normal routine. That activity would be logged separately. Your normal routine is accounted for in your MFP activity level.

Set your activity level to the highest one available, see what your weight does over the next month, and adjust accordingly.

Thank you! That helps clarify things even further for me.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I'd choose an activity level of either active or very active, and see how it works for you. Then after 4-6 weeks you can reevaluate.

Don't do anything that is going to get you fired from your job.
  • iwrluia
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »

"Exercise" is so generic - depending on the particular health issue, even more so. You are certainly very active through your day, with a lot of it involved with full-body functional lifting. That "get more exercise" prescription probably needs to be made more specific. Good luck. I also like nowine4me's suggestion of a "stealth" tracker if you could get away with it.

That is true. I didn't think of it that way, but you're right that "get exercise" is generic. That is what seems to be confusing me, so I will communicate that with my doctor. My particular health issue is 'fatty liver', so I know I need to make modifications to both diet and exercise. I guess the communication between myself and my doctors seems to be the key to fixing this confusion.
  • iwrluia
    edited May 2019
    Options
    onepebble wrote: »
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    tvkoo wrote: »
    Misfit Shine doesn’t look anything like a fitness tracker and you can attach it to your sock or bra or put it in your pocket.

If her place of work has a rule of not wearing any electronics (it may be a reason for that), the OP may get in trouble for disobeying or ignoring company policies, if cought. I don't think that is nice to recommend that she violates those rules.

Agreed - my husband has had jobs where carrying electronic devices would be a sackable offence, so this is not good general advice.

OP, I think the best advice is upthread - pick an activity level, track accurately for a month or more and use your own data to see how you are going. Oh, and to discuss further with your doctor as there are medical issues.

You are both right. It's an automatic termination if caught and you get completely banned from the property. Additionally we have to go though security to get into and out of the building (which includes metal detectors, being wanded, and emptying everything out of our pockets).

I'd be very hesitant to do it unless it was approved by a manager. However, that does give me the idea to ask my managers if there is anything that is approved or can be approved by management to bring in.

As a side note, it probably wouldn't be a good idea to wear on my chest anyways (definitely not my socks for a variety of reasons haha), because I have ripped the front of my bras and my poor chest get bruised up and hit a lot by boxes, ICs, and metal railings in trailers. >.<;; So I'd wind up breaking it or losing it for sure, haha. I go through lots of torn clothes from that job, and I've learned over the years the safest place to wear anything on my body without it breaking are arms and wrists, which even then, the only reason for that is because I can always directly see what's going on on those parts of my body.
  • kjantosh
    kjantosh Posts: 8 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Also, as a user of the Misfit Shine... it is magnetic... not sure if that would be a concern or not if they are touchy on the electronic stuff to begin with. It's not a power magnet; setting it on your phone won't damage your phone for example, but something to be aware of. Also, as of Oct '18 I believe, Misfit essentially discontinued their trackers to focus more on smartwatches and hybrids... just another point to keep in mind.

I guess I would start by asking your boss (or HR) if the reason they don't allow fitbits and such is because they are essentially smart watches now and they don't want people distracted with that stuff or if it is because the electrics mess with something where you work. Are people allow to wear regular watches? Perhaps you would be able to use a pedometer that does not connect via wireless and requires manual connection or just a step read out that you manually enter.

Final note (lol) - For me, weight lose is the primary goal, what I did was set activity to the lowest and try to stay below the calorie goal MFP provided me. Then any calories burned from steps and such are just a plus. Essentially I try not bank on steps or work outs so much to identify my calorie intake for the day. Basically, if I am losing weight in the end I don't care if my steps/calories are spot on accurate for a day because I consider them a bonus. Now I am at a desk job, so the activity level MikePTY suggested above is probably a little more accurate for you. but if after a week or so you don't see an improvement I would drop the activity level down.
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,786 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Thought I had commented; but can't see my comment.

There are a couple of questions embedded in your post. The first is how to set up MFP to help you reach your weight goals. The second is how to demonstrate to your doctors your level of exercise and general activity.

Based on your work description you are more than ticking off all basic health recommendation for length and duration of exercise including strength training by just showing up at work.

About the only thing you MIGHT not be doing in sufficiently long bouts is your cardio since if there are interruptions during your work. However to me it sounds like you are maintaining a sustained pace that would more than qualify as sustained moderate cardio and strength training for several hours a day.

How you can convey this to your doctors I don't know. You did convey it to me quite effectively with the above description of the work you do!

In terms of how to setup MFP, maybe I can toss a couple of ideas your way.

You are CLEARLY above MFP's very active level. So this would be both your starting and ending point! :smiley:

You can then adjust in two different ways.

You can introduce a custom cardio exercise called "working at my job" (or similar), assign it a value based on https://sites.google.com/site/compendiumofphysicalactivities/Activity-Categories/occupation
    I would, at a guess, place your work at between 4 and 4.5 MET

A quick calculator to convert MET and time to Calories: http://ergo.human.cornell.edu/MetsCaloriesCalculator/MetsCaloriesCalculator.htm

Alternatively I would ignore the rest of my workday and adjust by adjusting my goal.

So if my goal was to maintain, I would set MY MFP goal to gain 1 to 1.5 lbs a week based on about half your shift not getting captured in the MFP activity level.

I would then use my weight trend from trendweight.com to gauge whether I am gaining or losing as planned, though I would caution to compare to the same time in your previous cycle if subject to water retention due to hormones.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    tvkoo wrote: »
    Misfit Shine doesn’t look anything like a fitness tracker and you can attach it to your sock or bra or put it in your pocket.

If her place of work has a rule of not wearing any electronics (it may be a reason for that), the OP may get in trouble for disobeying or ignoring company policies, if cought. I don't think that is nice to recommend that she violates those rules.

Not to mention, those devices are not likely to provide the information OP is looking for.