Antidepressants (sertraline) and Weight Gain

Options
Has anyone else noticed a correlation between taking anti depressants (namely sertraline) and weight gain? It's making me even more depressed :(

Replies

• puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I have been taking Sertraline for 3 years with no effect to my weight. It is a common side effect of SSRIs to increase appetite leading to weight gain.
  • ccjlgrider
    ccjlgrider Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I gained 35# in five years of being on amitriptyline and propranolol for migraines. It was a combination of decreased exercise tolerance due to the beta blockers making me less likely to excercise which got me more out of shape which made me even less likely to exercise, etc and the meds made me become very impulsive about my food choices in a way I have never ever been and have cravings for things I never in my life have had an affinity for. All of my efforts to try to lose weight just felt like an impossibility to me until I was able to stop my meds in the middle of March. I have lost 11 lbs in that time and though there has certainly been effort in doing so, it has come off with much more ease than a single pound ever did while on those meds. I’m back to my old self without the impulsivity and I have gotten back to where I was fitness wise (or very close) in that time. I switched to Aimovig for my migraines which is why I was able to stop the other meds. (ps I’m a doctor).
  • jaymijones
    jaymijones Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I gained on Lexapro, different SSRI. But it has both weight gain and weight loss as possible side effects.

My issue was that it definitely increased my appetite, which I expected and felt I was prepared for. What I did not expect was that it also blocked or suppressed my motivation to do anything about it. I was taking it for anxiety, and it worked great for that no more random anxiety attacks. But I was having trouble caring about anything. I knew I was gaining weight, and it bothered me, but I could not find the drive to do anything about it, I spent a year telling myself I would get back to my healthy eating habits “tomorrow” or “next week.” It took me a year to realize that the Lexapro was the issue and it wasn’t just the increased appetite. My eating habits weren’t the only problem, finding the motivation to do anything in my life was HARD. But I wasn’t having anxiety attacks anymore so I didn’t put the two together for awhile and just chalked it up to increased stress, due to my spouse’s deployment followed by moving to a new state. But 6 months after those things were over when I still couldn’t get my act together I realized I was having a bad reaction to the medication and tapered off.

I dropped 10 of the 40lbs I gained in the first month, with minimal effort. The last 15 have been a bit more work, but it’s still coming off fairly easily compared to past experiences.

Go talk to your Dr, of you are still feeling depressed you may be on the wrong medication. Sometimes it takes a few tries to find a good fit.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Weight gain for SSRI's is pretty small in magnitude (+/0 to 0/-) vs. other antidepressants (too much of the general public associate antidepressants with weight gain without acknowledging/considering the actual mechanism of action of the drug he/she is talking about). The TCA other posters are mentioning (amitriptyline) has a much worse side effect profile for weight gain (+++) vs. SSRIs mainly due to strong histamine antagonism & anticholinergic effects.

Sertraline is considered to be slightly more activating among the SSRIs & some people can actually lose weight (small) on this medication (variable/individual response). Can not compare apples to oranges

For the love of god, Beta blockers do not simply slow metabolism...><. Internet + drug information + forum posts = great source for bastardizing information/making incorrect generalizations based on acecdote or even opinions. Do yourself a favor and consult with a nurse, pharmacist, or doctor for questions/concerns about medications. Registered Pharmacist

@Keto_Vampire I did mention to my doctor that I have less stamina and more appetite since I've been taking Metoprolol and she wasn't familiar with this as an issue. Dr Google was no help either. Do you have a source of information?
  • Keto_Vampire
    Keto_Vampire Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Weight gain for SSRI's is pretty small in magnitude (+/0 to 0/-) vs. other antidepressants (too much of the general public associate antidepressants with weight gain without acknowledging/considering the actual mechanism of action of the drug he/she is talking about). The TCA other posters are mentioning (amitriptyline) has a much worse side effect profile for weight gain (+++) vs. SSRIs mainly due to strong histamine antagonism & anticholinergic effects.

Sertraline is considered to be slightly more activating among the SSRIs & some people can actually lose weight (small) on this medication (variable/individual response). Can not compare apples to oranges

For the love of god, Beta blockers do not simply slow metabolism...><. Internet + drug information + forum posts = great source for bastardizing information/making incorrect generalizations based on acecdote or even opinions. Do yourself a favor and consult with a nurse, pharmacist, or doctor for questions/concerns about medications. Registered Pharmacist

@Keto_Vampire I did mention to my doctor that I have less stamina and more appetite since I've been taking Metoprolol and she wasn't familiar with this as an issue. Dr Google was no help either. Do you have a source of information?

Fatigue is a common complaint for beta-blockers. Appetite is typically not affected by beta blockers (plausibly with propranolol; has minor effect on suppressing T4...this is pretty unique to propranolol, not other beta blockers)

Metoprolol is beta-1 selective; it does reduce heart rate & heart contractility. Beta blockers can reduces exercise tolerance; however, this is more common with non-selective beta blockers (propranolol) with beta-2 antagonism - can cause bronchoconstriction. In general, Beta-blockers do not alter BMR/have no effect on metabolism; propranolol can possibly change BMR (can be used adjunctively for people with Hyperthyroidism).

All beta blockers =/= Propranolol. Stop stereotyping drugs

Lexicomp online/Clinical Pharmacology/Epocrates are much more credible resources than internet forum trolls
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I lost 27 pounds a few years ago when I was still on sertraline (have since weaned myself off it).
  • weightwatcherjoan
    weightwatcherjoan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    jaymijones wrote: »
    I gained on Lexapro, different SSRI. But it has both weight gain and weight loss as possible side effects.

My issue was that it definitely increased my appetite, which I expected and felt I was prepared for. What I did not expect was that it also blocked or suppressed my motivation to do anything about it. I was taking it for anxiety, and it worked great for that no more random anxiety attacks. But I was having trouble caring about anything. I knew I was gaining weight, and it bothered me, but I could not find the drive to do anything about it, I spent a year telling myself I would get back to my healthy eating habits “tomorrow” or “next week.” It took me a year to realize that the Lexapro was the issue and it wasn’t just the increased appetite. My eating habits weren’t the only problem, finding the motivation to do anything in my life was HARD. But I wasn’t having anxiety attacks anymore so I didn’t put the two together for awhile and just chalked it up to increased stress, due to my spouse’s deployment followed by moving to a new state. But 6 months after those things were over when I still couldn’t get my act together I realized I was having a bad reaction to the medication and tapered off.

I dropped 10 of the 40lbs I gained in the first month, with minimal effort. The last 15 have been a bit more work, but it’s still coming off fairly easily compared to past experiences.

Go talk to your Dr, of you are still feeling depressed you may be on the wrong medication. Sometimes it takes a few tries to find a good fit.

• tawtyping
    tawtyping Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I’m on sertraline and have been for about 2 years. I have gained about 3 stone or more in the last 14 months as I had a stroke (I’m 48) and was put on steroids for about 5 months. They made me so hungry but I’ve not been able to shift the weight due to extreme fatigue (after effect of my stroke). I’ve got a knee problem probably due to my weight gain but have got 6 gym sessions at the hospital starting on Monday. I just feel so hungry!