How to tell if you're in starvation mode

2»

Replies

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    I'm genuinely confused ...I'm in treatment right now and our dietician literally just ran a group the other day about starvation mode being very real...

Dieticians can be idiots just like any other people. So can doctors. There’s an old joke: What do you call the doctor who graduated last in the class? Doctor.

It’s possible your dietician is using the term to refer to adaptive thermogenesis, or that they were taught bad information, or that they just are not qualified to do the job.

Or trying to scare you to eat more.

Which is not an excuse to give people bad information.

No, but when someone says they are in "treatment" it's a reasonable suspicion.

Also could be a different understanding of starvation mode, but I think this thread has been clear about what's being debunked.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    I'm genuinely confused ...I'm in treatment right now and our dietician literally just ran a group the other day about starvation mode being very real...

Yes... you can starve to death..
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Terytha wrote: »
    Well, speaking of doctors, mine gave me permission to eat nothing but a little broth for around three or four weeks once. I was incredibly, unbelievably ill with some unknown problem and food was impossible for me. Since it seemed viral my doctor advised me to try wait it out, because in the long run not eating for a few weeks wasn't such a big deal as long as I was hydrated.

That scale number dropped. Hard. And didn't really go back up for quite some months. If starvation mode was a thing you'd think that would have caused it.

Anyways. I don't recommend the broth diet or the stomach virus, they sucked.

Samesies. I had mono in middle school. I lost an enormous amount of weight and didn't even come close to putting it back on until I was in my 30s. I can't recommend it either.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,889 Member
    edited May 2019
    @guacassassin what we are talking about here is the impossible "not losing weight or gaining weight despite having a calorie deficit due to starvation MODE".

If you are in treatment for anorexia, the dietitian was probably referring to starvation RESPONSE, which is different:
    Terytha wrote: »
    It's the difference between starvation MODE, which is the non existent thing where you somehow gain weight while eating too little or nothing, and the starvation RESPONSE, which is the real thing that is how your body reacts to being starved in order to protect itself.
  • guacassassin
    guacassassin Posts: 26 Member
    Thank you all for clarifying that. It helps!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Simply put it seems like a very vague concept with little or no scientific evidence to back it up.

As recommended I increased my calories and protein and focus on strength training with weights and I've lost pretty much no fat looking muscle and places too much then desired.

My boyfriend believes in skipping a meal rather than eating a nutritious one which is what I do. I've also made it a point to eat snacks throughout the day healthy wants of course that are within my calorie budget but I really feel like I did much better when I just reduced my calories a lot.

If starvation mode is a thing how do you know if you were in it!? it seems counterproductive to me to force myself to eat if I'm not hungry and I don't feel sick and I have energy.

Around day 60 one dies without food if not before. Basically anyone one posting here is NOT in starvation mode. A healthy human body does not die easily just because we do not eat for a few weeks. When I went low carb I thought I was dying for the first 2 weeks of low carb then the ship righted itself and that was back in 2014 and now all is still well eating low carb in 2019.

Check out Ireland inmates that refused to eat and died.

https://irishtimes.com/culture/books/why-h-block-hunger-strikers-were-not-force-fed-1.2706786