Calories

Options
How many calories do you eat a day? Do you do the MFP 1200 or another amount for your weight loss?

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    I eat between 2200-2400 a day. 1200 is the MINIMUM that is recommended for an adult female (plus exercise calories) , but often, many women should have more. You may be setting your rate of loss too high, which is why you have a goal so low.
  • Lenala13
    Lenala13 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    1230 for 1.5lb weight loss, plus I usually eat back all my activity calories that my Fitbit tracker gives me...so total is usually between 1600 - 1900 daily.
  • COGypsy
    COGypsy Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I eat between 1600 and 1700 and lose up to a pound a week.
  • staceymcbride8
    staceymcbride8 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Lenala13 wrote: »
    1230 for 1.5lb weight loss, plus I usually eat back all my activity calories that my Fitbit tracker gives me...so total is usually between 1600 - 1900 daily.

What kind of tracker do you use? Also, how did all of you figure up your calorie intake?
  • staceymcbride8
    staceymcbride8 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just redid my goal to lose 1 pound per week and it gave me 1320 calories. I have no problem following and staying within my range, just curious how everyone figures out their amount.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    When I started [2011], MFP set my budget at 1600.
    I lost close to 1/2 pound per week.
    Now, I maintain at 1870.
    Most days, I'm a little under that; some days I exceed it.
    But 1870 is my magic number.
    Lots of people on here complicate things with other plans like TDEE.
    I had no idea what that was -- still don't -- & I did just fine.
    Don't need it.
    The only reason to try some other approach is if MFP doesn't work for you.
    If you follow the program, it should.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

What kind of tracker do you use? Also, how did all of you figure up your calorie intake?

I weigh my food when I'm at home and use database entries that I've verified as correct, either against package nutritional information or against the USDA nutritional database.. When I'm at a restaurant, I use nutritional information from their website if they have, or log something I think is similar from another restaurant that has nutritional information (not a random entry in the database from a restaurant I'm not familiar with), or I mentally deconstruct the dish and use the insight gained from cooking and from weighing food at home to make my best guesses about the ingredients and amounts. If I'm eating at someone else's home, I mostly do the mental deconstruction process, unless it's family and they're using a family recipe I've already added on MFP.
  • Lenala13
    Lenala13 Posts: 152 Member
    Options

I used MFP to figure out my calorie intake...set it to sedentary, then have my Fitbit keep track of my activity. It’s not an exact science, but the numbers are close enough to get me into a deficit.
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    1400-1500 calories/day and I’ve been losing about 1lb per week

I only eat back exercise calories if I’m actually hungry

I’m 5’3”