Cheap foods to gain weight

Options
I’m really wanting to gain weight but I have a tight money budget. What foods can I get for cheap to help gain weight??

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    All food helps you gain weight, the more the better. Fatty foods are highest calorie by weight.

How cheap do you want to go? There’s lots of cheap but boring options.

Depending on where you live, a big sack of potatoes and/or rice can be pretty cheap. There’s also oatmeal for a little variety.

For protein pick the meat that’s on sale then google a recipe before you get home. Pick up what you need before you go home. Stews can transform tougher cuts of meat.

Root vegetables like turnips and carrots are usually cheap. And cabbage.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    In addition to the suggestion above, higher fat ground beef is a good choice too, as it has more calories and is cheaper then lean beef.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Probably the cheapest fats are the fat you render off that cheap cut of meat, or a bottle of vegetable oil.

You can fry foods to increase the calorie count. Think French Fries.
  • IrishMustangBabe93
    IrishMustangBabe93 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Pinterest is a good place to start with Recipes
  • IrishMustangBabe93
    IrishMustangBabe93 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    @tabbiemarie16 can i add you on here?
  • JohnnytotheB
    JohnnytotheB Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and white bread.
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    Eggs
    Potatoes
    Cheaper cuts of meat
    Beans and rice

I don't know where you are but here in the UK there's an app called Too Good to Go, where you can buy a mystery bag of food that the restaurant/cafe would have to throw out anyway. The other day I spent £4 and picked up food from a vegetarian/vegan cafe that's usually pretty expensive. I got tomato red pepper soup, a cheese scone, two servings of veggie curry, 3 pieces of vegan pizza, a donut, a lemon poppy seed scone, and a croissant. For £4! It's amazing and reduces food waste. Win.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    Lot of people have successfully gained weight following the GOMAD diet. I’ve not tried it nor can I recommend it but share it in response to your question.
  • mpca66
    mpca66 Posts: 6 Member
    Options

I don't know where you are but here in the UK there's an app called Too Good to Go, where you can buy a mystery bag of food that the restaurant/cafe would have to throw out anyway. The other day I spent £4 and picked up food from a vegetarian/vegan cafe that's usually pretty expensive. I got tomato red pepper soup, a cheese scone, two servings of veggie curry, 3 pieces of vegan pizza, a donut, a lemon poppy seed scone, and a croissant. For £4! It's amazing and reduces food waste. Win.

What a GREAT idea !!
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    Eggs
    Potatoes
    Cheaper cuts of meat
    Beans and rice

Dig this.
  • tabbiemarie16
    tabbiemarie16 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you guys!!
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Ramen?
  • mikeski52
    mikeski52 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Bananas. You can get 3lb bunches from Costco for ~$1.29. They also have large bags of rice for super cheap. Costco is your friend when bulking, essentially.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    Here is a list of calorie dense foods, calorie dense means more calories per "bite" (gram?) so you do'nt need as much. Some may be expensive but stocking up when you see them on sale could be terrific. bulk food places (where they sell in bins) can be terrific if you watch for sales for things like nuts which can be $$

https://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10142490/a-list-of-calorie-dense-foods/p1