Community advice on designing a running schedule?

So I’m not training for a race or anything, but in the interest of getting fit and actually using my body for something, I’ve been putting together my own running program, which I’ve followed for several weeks now:
f9de4uhoc7b5.jpeg

I basically pulled the four day cycle and running times out of thin air, and I wanted to get some more educated advice. What are your thoughts on the long - short - long - rest cycle? Is it sustainable over the long term (like, not that I’ve committed to it, but could I run six days of every eight for the rest of my life without physically wearing myself down)? Is it a good way to improve?

Right now I’m increasing my long days by five-minute increments approximately every week - should I be increasing more than that? And, I have yet to increase my short days. Since my brain rounds 5min down to 0, they function psychologically as a rest day while still keeping me in the habit of getting out and running. Do I really need every other day to be a rest day, though, or should I be increasing my short days too?

Finally, obviously I can’t keep adding time forever, or I’ll eventually run out. When should I switch from endurance, by working on time, to performance, by working on speed? I don’t think I’m ready for it now but I do want to have it in mind so I know the basic shape of what I’m working towards.

Anyway, I know this can be kind of subjective but I appreciate any feedback I get! I’ve tried googling but a lot of running advice is focused on preparing for races, which isn’t really a useful way for me personally to frame my goals.

Thanks in advance, guys 🌸

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    (Can’t read the graphic on my phone.)
    Follow an established program like Couch to 5k or 10k, then a half marathon training program even though you’re not training for a specific event.
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,676 Member
    edited May 2019
    I have a really hard reading that pink type, but I gather you are only running 5 minutes some days? That really isn't going to do you any good. If you want a rest day, then rest or do cross-training. On the other hand, 5 minute increases to your daily runs are good when you are starting out. I followed the One Hour Runner plan after I finished C25k, and it does the 5 minute increase. The basic rule of thumb is no more than 10% increase in your total mileage per week, though that has obvious limits. Work up to 30 minutes, 4 or 5 days a week. That is really all you need for basic fitness, or alternately, 45 minutes 3 days a week.

If you are enjoying running and want to do more, or want to try racing (it can be surprisingly fun) then slowly, gradually increase the time/distance so some runs are longer. If you decide you want to race, then find a plan. It will help you build up your base with less chance of getting injured.
  • Spiegelchan
    Spiegelchan Posts: 78 Member
    edited May 2019
    Sorry about the pink type 😅 here are the past days typed out:

4.16 15min
    4.17 5min
    4.18 10min
    4.19 rest
    4.20 15min
    4.21 5min
    4.22 10min
    4.23 rest
    4.24 20min
    4.25 5min
    4.26 15min
    4.27 rest
    4.28 rest
    4.29 20min
    4.30 5min
    5.1 15min
    5.2 rest
    5.3 20min
    5.4 5min
    5.5 15min
    5.6 rest
    5.7 25min
    5.8 5min
    5.9 20min

I finished C25K, but it was miserable. Some of the jumps were much bigger than I thought reasonable, and when it was over I was like ok, now what. It was very unmotivating. The way I set my current schedule up is to get a prize at the end of every four cycles (barring any unplanned rest days like April 28th).

I am actually enjoying running! I’ve been walking for fun for years, and the last couple runs I’ve actually made it to that mental state on some downhill stretches, which was really awesome. Races aren’t tempting but I think maybe I eventually want to do trail running. That’s going to be an uphill battle though since I’ll have to drive out to a trail (and back) instead of just heading out the door. So I definitely want it to be a firmly entrenched habit before adding that hurdle.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Trail running is a lot more fun than road running. It's more difficult, but less impact. Go this weekend! Do a short one, see how you feel about it.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,593 Member
    I finished c25k a few weeks ago and wasn’t really sure what to do next. I downloaded some of the NHS podcasts but they seemed a little too tough for me too. So I decided to join a runbet game designed for beginners. It’s 21 runs in 28 days. The first 3 are 0.5 miles. The next 6 are 1.0 miles. The next 6 are 1.5 miles. The last 6 are 2.0 miles. I’m halfway through and enjoying having a plan laid out for me. All the apps sync my progress and I enjoy the social engagement. If I don’t meet all the goals, I’m out $30. I decided before I started that this experiment was worth $30 of entertainment to me.
  • keithwp99
    keithwp99 Posts: 83 Member
    edited May 2019
    Converted road to trail runner here too. Agree that it is harder but much more enjoyable. However, I would be cautious on using time as how you increase. Trail conditions can vary quite a bit ie elevation + rocks+ tree roots+ mud that will really impact your pace (or should impact your pace).

My suggestion is to never increase mileage more than 10% per week. Candidly, at 59 YO I am only doing 10% more distance every month. And, build in one deload week every 4th week. Reduce your mileage for that week by 20-25%. The following week, you can pick up your 10% adder.

My suggestion is also don't knock rest. Your body needs time to recover. If you don't rest strategically like I mentioned above on the deload weeks, you risk injury.

If you want to stay strong and healthy, add some strength training too. I am convinced that the heavy lifting I do has kept me injury free.

Good luck~!
  • Spiegelchan
    keithwp99 wrote: »
    And, build in one deload week every 4th week. Reduce your mileage for that week by 20-25%. The following week, you can pick up your 10% adder.

That’s a good idea, thanks! I’ll add it in. I’ve heard the 10% thing thrown around a lot, but for now time is easier to track for me. And the trail is like a twenty minute drive for me, so it would have to be a weekend-only thing anyway.
  • Spiegelchan
    Trail running is a lot more fun than road running. It's more difficult, but less impact. Go this weekend! Do a short one, see how you feel about it.

I did one a few months ago and it was awesome! Just that I spent a lot of time worrying about bumping into a bear 😂 I’ll have to pick up bear spray before going again.

I finished c25k a few weeks ago and wasn’t really sure what to do next. I downloaded some of the NHS podcasts but they seemed a little too tough for me too. So I decided to join a runbet game designed for beginners. It’s 21 runs in 28 days. The first 3 are 0.5 miles. The next 6 are 1.0 miles. The next 6 are 1.5 miles. The last 6 are 2.0 miles. I’m halfway through and enjoying having a plan laid out for me. All the apps sync my progress and I enjoy the social engagement. If I don’t meet all the goals, I’m out $30. I decided before I started that this experiment was worth $30 of entertainment to me.

I’m glad it’s working for you! That sounds way too stressful for me 😂 buying an eight dollar marker every two weeks seems more fun, but you’re right that social engagement can be really motivating!
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 694 Member
    Personally I don't see how a 5 min run would help improve anything.

My suggestion would be you aim for a minimum time on your feet, and divide it into walk/ run sections.
    So for example, 30 mins.
    These days I go by how I feel rather than the clock, and try to make it to certain places, so the target will be the next tree/ lamp post or whatever, at the moment the goal is the top of the hill!
    Or it could be shorter run sections, but trying to go faster.

Have a look at fartlek training, you might find that helpful.

I will happily drive 15 mins down the road to go trail running on week nights, give it a go, you might find the rewards are worth it.
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Sorry about the pink type 😅 here are the past days typed out:

4.16 15min
    4.17 5min
    4.18 10min
    4.19 rest
    4.20 15min
    4.21 5min
    4.22 10min
    4.23 rest
    4.24 20min
    4.25 5min
    4.26 15min
    4.27 rest
    4.28 rest
    4.29 20min
    4.30 5min
    5.1 15min
    5.2 rest
    5.3 20min
    5.4 5min
    5.5 15min
    5.6 rest
    5.7 25min
    5.8 5min
    5.9 20min

I finished C25K, but it was miserable. Some of the jumps were much bigger than I thought reasonable, and when it was over I was like ok, now what. It was very unmotivating. The way I set my current schedule up is to get a prize at the end of every four cycles (barring any unplanned rest days like April 28th).

I am actually enjoying running! I’ve been walking for fun for years, and the last couple runs I’ve actually made it to that mental state on some downhill stretches, which was really awesome. Races aren’t tempting but I think maybe I eventually want to do trail running. That’s going to be an uphill battle though since I’ll have to drive out to a trail (and back) instead of just heading out the door. So I definitely want it to be a firmly entrenched habit before adding that hurdle.

Trail running is great, but keep in mind that running on a paved, even surface and running on a dirt trail, especially typical single track, are two very different things. You cannot expect to compare your progress on one against the other. Most people are significantly slower on trails than on road, but the effort is often greater on trails. Trail running helps to develop power, agility and balance. I hope you are able to enjoy some of both types of running!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Hi..
    I do things a bit different.
    I try to keep a running total time of 30min.
    I try to keep a break time ( time between laps) to 2 min.
    I try to increase my lap time by 10 seconds per day.