Anxiety/Emotional Eating/Night Binges

Options
I do really great all day but have a problem with night bingeing! I know it is related to my bipolar disorder & anxiety/emotional eating. Anyone have any advice on how to get control over this?

Replies

• GaiaGirl1992
    GaiaGirl1992 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    maybe try to redirect the urges? instead of eating, try cleaning something, or doing something that takes your mind off
  • jenvens
    jenvens Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Throw away all of the junk food at home and fill up your stock with healthy fruits and veggies...nothing better than snacking on some celery/carrots with a bit of ranch or even butter-free popcorn...you can do it!
  • webfam3
    webfam3 Posts: 1
    Options
    I, too, deal with emotional eating. First of all, I find that I must track the food. I am grateful for this site! Second, try some mindfulness meditation if you haven't done it already. It has helped me a lot. If you find that you binge at night, maybe do 10-15 minutes of meditation/prayer after dinner to center yourself. Third, I am learning to not eat in front of the tv. I am never quite aware of what I am eating when I am distracted. I am taking the weight off slowly but surely.

I see a nutritionist. She advocates eating only fruits and vegetables as snacks. That has really decreased my unhealthy snacking. Even though a food looks "healthy", it probably has too much salt or sugar, and that increases our appetite overall.

I hope this helps!
  • dubbz22
    dubbz22 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    When I feel a binge coming I try to do it on something healthy and/or zero calorie. Last night had the late night munchies and pound 15 baby carrots and Fresca zero. As opposed to the cookies that I thought about driving to the story to get...
  • speedyme
    speedyme Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    A good friend of mine who has lost over 100lbs would do puzzles to keep her mind busy. You have to distract yourself and always have a bottle of water with you.
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I used to do this as well. I think for me it has gotten better over time. Also, the more focus I am on losing the weight, the less I feel the urge to binge.
  • nicolapowell2004
    Options
    Hi,

I found the Paul Mckenna eat yourself slim CD really helped to curb my appetite. I also find that exercise helps me to reduce binges because it releases those "happy hormones" that you are seeking from food. Counselling or reviewing your bipolar meds are also something you may want to consider.

Nicola
  • kathvg
    kathvg Posts: 68
    Options
    i do this too so i try to drink lots of water or green tea...fills me up and kills the urge :)
  • HisSonbeamer
    Options
    Wow...thank you all for your amazing response! I will be utilizing all of your advice and continue to think positive and move forward. NO guilt tripping! Change, change, and more change....it will happen! Thanks again everyone!