I have a muffin top and belly fat I want to tone, but the trainer claims you can't spot reduce?

Options
Okay I'm very confused.

I just gave birth a few months ago and I'm back to my normal weight at 114 pounds at 5'3. My legs and arms are very thin like they've always been. And I'm at a nice healthy weight. But I have belly fat and a muffin top from pregnancy. I have consulted with a trainer in attempt to help me tone the area and get rid of it and he claims "You can't spot reduce so we'd have to work your whole body" Huh?!!! I'm at a healthy weight and my arms and legs are very thin already. This makes no sense. Why would I have to tone my whole body in order to get a toned belly and get rid of the muffin top? He also claims I'd have to eat healthy.

I calmly explained this was due to pregnancy and wasn't there pre-pregnancy. I explained that in the past, I have gotten really toned legs from running while eating Chick Fil A. So what he's saying makes no sense. If someone eats McDonald's bfast, lunch, and dinner but they do 100 squats a day, they're going to have toned legs.

Replies

• dpandolfo0928
    dpandolfo0928 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Most likely from your story is that you have a combo of loose skin and extra fat storage from giving birth. Female bodies tend to hang onto fat especially after pregnancy. Trainers are good but over hyped for today's ability to get fitness information. He is right, tho, you can not spot reduce fat, I've tried. My advice is to do resistance training. You will NOT get jacked unless you are taking roids. You will tone out nicely and get back to where you want.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    UroIogist wrote: »
    We all store fat in different places. You may store less fat in your legs, so while your legs may convey a lower body fat percentage, your actual body fat percentage may be higher.

Here is some helpful information:

"Eat right. Choose a balanced diet that helps you achieve and maintain a healthy weight. Include plenty of calcium: according to another study from the University of Alabama, Birmingham, the more calcium a woman consumes, the less visceral fat she gains. Avoid products that seem to encourage belly fat deposition, including trans fats (hydrogenated vegetable oils) and fructose-sweetened foods and beverages" (https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/taking-aim-at-belly-fat).

"Diet is also important. Pay attention to portion size, and emphasize complex carbohydrates (fruits, vegetables, and whole grains) and lean protein over simple carbohydrates such as white bread, refined-grain pasta, and sugary drinks. Replacing saturated fats and trans fats with polyunsaturated fats can also help"(https://www.health.harvard.edu/staying-healthy/abdominal-fat-and-what-to-do-about-it).

Seems like the restrictions are only there as a means to promote overall body fat loss for people who dont calorie count. Those foods are easy to overeat, hence why they would say to simply avoid them when trying to lose weight. However, if someone is counting calories there is zero reason to avoid those foods so long as they can maintain a calorie deficit while eating them.
  • motivatedmartha
    motivatedmartha Posts: 1,108 Member
    Options
    OP - strikes me that your trainer is right - can't spot reduce and exercising your whole body is key to looking leaner and fitter - provided your calorie intake is right! A full body exercise routine won't make your slim legs skinnier - it may help the rest of you look as toned as you want it to. I have heard the term skinny fat on these boards often, where people have reached a healthy weight, may have slim limbs but still fell soft and untoned. I have also seen many people use resistance exercise and weight training to give them the toned body they want. Read back through the threads on here and you will find some good advice - :)
  • jdog022
    jdog022 Posts: 693 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Misread - deleted response