Do I need to cut more or lift more for slimmer thighs?

Options
33bbcc33
33bbcc33 Posts: 59 Member
mmo1m1065h5c.jpg
Thought 125 at 5'5" would be a good stop and re-evaluate weight but my thighs have stayed pretty much the same since my high weight as you can see. Wondering if I need to incorporate exercises I'm not already doing? I cycle and take spin class around 3/week, bodyflow class, some but not very consistent squats, leg press, lunges, barbell lifts, kettle bell. Kind of want that thin but fit Instagram aesthetic so do I just need to suck it up and lose 10 more pounds? Or lift heavier? Not really looking for you look fine comments lol

Replies

• 33bbcc33
    Options
    Thanks gals! Yea I guess I do just need to accept that my thighs are gonna be big. I think maybe I won't go for 10 pounds but maybe 3-5 more, re-evaluate again and then start incorporating more lifting rather than cardio maybe. I just chose 10 cause I'd still be in the healthy range for my BMI, just on the lower end.
  • Spadesheart
    Spadesheart Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I know you said you don't want to hear the you look fine comments but you honestly do look very attractive.

Isn't the Instagram aesthetic larger lower body? All the women at the gym seem to be going for that. Or am I out of the loop here; I refuse to get social media I don't need. What they seem to be doing is all lower body all the time.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    Also, remember that if you lose more weight, it might come from somewhere you don't want it to.
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    You look great! I have pretty narrow hips myself so at my lowest of 115 and highest of 135 my thighs have always looked like yours on the right. They dont look disproportionate to your body at all. I wouldn't suggest losing any more, and while lifting more wont result in slimmer legs you may like the results anyway.
  • Lolalikeslolagets
    Lolalikeslolagets Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Instagram aesthetic includes photoshop, which is pretty easy to learn. Also, you look great so...?
  • bannock_and_biceps
    bannock_and_biceps Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    @DancingMoosie exactly! when i lost 20 lbs - it was all in my face, boobs and butt. wanted to lose in my belly - ha! joke was on me :D
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Your thighs def look smaller and better/more muscular in the pic on the right. I also wish I had slim thighs, but I know I never will because genetics. Instead, my goal is to have thighs that look like yours.i think they rock.
  • 33bbcc33
    Options
    Also, remember that if you lose more weight, it might come from somewhere you don't want it to.

That would suck lol I think maybe the phrase I should have used from the beginning was "more defined thighs" instead of slimming? I will try to lift at a deficit to lose 3-5 more pounds and cross my fingers the fat will come off a bit more from my thighs. Thank you for the kind comments.
  • TanyaHooton
    TanyaHooton Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Based on your photos, it looks like you have broad shoulders and narrow hips. It's a bit hard to judge for sure from the angle of the photo, though, so forgive me if I'm wrong.

If that is true (i.e. you have narrow hips), you are probably never going to lose enough weight to have the "thigh gap." It's literally because women who have wider hips have their legs spaced farther apart, so when they lean out, their legs appear slimmer due to the gap. Women with narrow hips have an easy time losing weight on the lower half, including the legs, but their legs will usually look muscular and firm (which is very desirable) and not...fat, per se, but not super lean and skinny.

If that's not your body shape, then never mind. Just wanted to throw that out there.

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Can we trade? I would love the belly definition you have in exchange for a bit of my thigh muscles, though to be fair my thighs carry fat mostly on the inside, so they only look well defined on the front/back/outer sections.

That being said, I have noticed that as little as 3 pounds can make a huge difference in my level of definition, so adding some strength training consistently 3x/week and eating at a slight deficit might get you the look you are seeking without needing to lose 10 pounds.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I carry fat on my thighs/legs. Building muscle has helped. I would look into recomp if you want more defined legs to build muscle and lose fat over time. So eat at maintenance, follow a lifting program (if not already) and get adequate protein. And have lots of patience.
  • MichelleMcKeeRN
    MichelleMcKeeRN Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Weight training gives that toned look I am guessing you are going for. Weighted Squats, lunges and deadlifts! Putting on some muscle mass is probably all you need. This might cause you to GAIN weight but muscle looks slimmer than fat.
  • littlebuffbiddy
    littlebuffbiddy Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Depending on genetics, women tend to lose weight from their legs last. Your best bet is to do more of everything (progressively heavy lifts also with high rep burn out finisher type of exercises, and cardio) and make sure you are eating clean.
  • HollyPFlax
    HollyPFlax Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I just fixed this issue on myself. I'm 5'7" and was 128 when I started lifting 7 months ago. I'm now 131 after a slight bulk/ recomp. My body had always stored fat in my upper thighs. As a lifelong equestrian, it was really embarrassing - shouldn't there be no fat on my strongest muscles?!?! Now, after starting powerlifting, there is very little fat in that area. I think it's the second place where my body stores fat, so I had to decrease my body fat percentage.

Based on your photo and weight, I don't think you should cut. Eating at maintenance and lifting heavier should do the trick in time.