Gym / Calories / Supplements

Options
Hey I’m new to all this dieting stuff. When I first started i was only lightly active. Now that I’m determined to lose some pounds I’ve become moderately active and my calorie max is 1530 or so from what the app told me. Anyways, I am having trouble meeting my calories and everything else really. I’m not sure what foods I should eat more. Every time I ask someone I’m told to stay away from carbs, and to stay away from sodium. What are some things or ideas I can do to meet my intake. Also, if I meet my goal and then go to the gym it will say I have a total of carbs left to meet. Do I over eat since I go the gym or how exactly does that work? I hope that makes sense. Also, what are some good supplements I can use to help me reach my goal. As of right now I’m using BCAAs and keto friendly protein mix. Im not strictly keto just really staying away from bread and pastas.

Replies

• yanethr721
    yanethr721 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thank you for responding. I’ll stop listening to everyone else. It gets very confusing.
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I’d say pay attention to your macros. Eat what you want but try and fit it in there.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    BCAAs are, as far as I've read, completely pointless.

The supplements I've been advised will actually help with various things are fish oil pills (for the omega 3), vitamin D because pretty much nobody gets enough sun, and some kind of protein powder.

None of those things are necessary. None of them have a significant impact on weight loss. They just kinda help your health in a general way.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    If I filled half my plate with fruit I’d be way over my calorie goal. Also, fruits and vegetables are carbs.
  • TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    BCAAs are a complete waste of money. You get them from food you don’t need to supplement them. The golden rule for supplements is unless your doctor says you need it then don’t bother with it.

Pastas and bread are delicious, no need to avoid it. Just fit it in your calories.

• TrishSeren
    TrishSeren Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    bessmertni wrote: »
    When you prepare your meals your plate should half fruits or vegetables for every meal. Every meal! The fruits and veggies give you much needed fiber, less sodium, less carbs and fewer calories. When going to the gym hit the weights. This will inc rease your muscle mass which in turns boosts your resting metabolism and also makes you a little stronger. A good protein supplement (I like whey protein power) after your workout will help with your muscle recovery. As far as eating extra on gym days you can just don't gorge yourself on chips and icecream. Keep it clean if you can; nuts, apples, etc. You burn more calories when you work so you need to replenish some of that otherwise you're just making yourself hungry and more likely the binge eat. Don't try to completely cut out carbs, things like rice, pasta, whole wheat bread on good and necessary, just keep it balanced. And don't forget your veggies!

Protein powder doesn’t help with muscle recovery. It’s a marketing myth.

Stop demonising food with labels like “clean”. Food is food, it isn’t dirty or clean or good or bad.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    whmscll wrote: »
    If I filled half my plate with fruit I’d be way over my calorie goal. Also, fruits and vegetables are carbs.

and there is NOTHING wrong with carbs MUCH less those in fruit and vegetables. I don't eat a crazy amount of fruit but i do eat a ton of vegetables even starchy ones and haven't had issues with weight loss.