Breastfeeding Mamas

Options
Hi there, I am a BFing mother to an almost 5 month old little boy :) I just wanted to ask you other BFing mothers how you are doing with the weight loss while nursing without losing your supply. Besides drinking a ton (literally) of water, what seems to help you the most? and what is your preferred exercise? I was told that it would be easy to lose the baby weight, plus some, while breastfeeding but it seems to me that it is even harder because you still have to eat a lot of calories throughout the day!!

Thanks!!!

Replies

• yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I'm not breastfeeding but I know you can add it into your diary so that you get extra calories.
  • lovetamarav
    lovetamarav Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    It's tough! I didn't do very good at it on my own, so I'm here now! My doctor said not to do any strenuous cardio, but walking 30-45 minutes every day was fine. Also be sure that you are getting good calories. Oatmeal is healthy and will help your milk supply. My daughter is one now, and I don't plan to wean her anytime soon, but I am able to cut calories a little more than I would have when she was younger because she does get solids and whole milk now as well. Just watch your supply and if you are noticing a dip back off the working out and dieting for a few days. Also look into supplements like fenugreek!
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    If you search in food "breastfeeding" you can see that you get an extra 500-ish calories a day to help keep the supply good and still be losing weight!
  • msino88
    msino88 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks! I actually created the "exercise" and add it everyday. :)
  • msino88
    Options
    Thanks, yeah all i usually do is walk on the treadmill and sometimes Zumba on the Wii. And I already take Fenugreek just in case!! lol. Ive been eating all of my calories every day and i have been losing weight I just still worry about losing my supply!
  • craftzilla
    Options
    I'm a b-feeding mum to a lovely 6 month old little boy. I have struggled a lot to lose weight, even though I'm back to my pre-pregnancy weight. I've been exercising one or two times a day, cardio plus weights, and have still only lost about 2 pounds. I've cut out all sweets/unhealthy things. From some other moms, I've heard that some women's bodies actually store fat while bfeeding. Maybe this is the case. My only bit of advice is to focus on getting enough calories and adding bfeeding as one of your "exercises" so that you can get those extra calories. Remember that the most important thing right now is giving your baby what he/she needs.
    Good luck to you!
  • stephyy4632
    stephyy4632 Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    no longer bfing but things that helped when I did

invest in some lillypads (nursing pads so you will not leak while working out) and a Goood supportive sports bra so your not bouncing all over the place

once I had those items I could do pretty much any exercise without worry

If your worried about supply of milk try buying some mothers milk tea its not super expencive like 4-5 a box and will help boost supply

and yes nursing counts as exercise you get like 500 extra calories a day to eat :)
  • lovetamarav
    lovetamarav Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks, yeah all i usually do is walk on the treadmill and sometimes Zumba on the Wii. And I already take Fenugreek just in case!! lol. Ive been eating all of my calories every day and i have been losing weight I just still worry about losing my supply!

At 5 months your supply is pretty well established. Just keep up the great work! BFing is hard working and you've made it past the most difficult part. :bigsmile:
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    I started my weight moss journey the day I weaned my daughter at 5 months old. I struggled with my supply as I was pumping at work and it wasn't very effective. I took the fenugreek too. Did you notice a maple syrup smell in your southern region? That was the wierdest side effect ever!
  • CAlivinMO
    CAlivinMO Posts: 9 Member
    Options

I am still breastfeeding my 6 1/2 month old and I was also very worried about supply when working out. I run and do spin and thought for sure that it'd affect my supply. In reality, it was the worrying about my supply that affected it! I ran out of Life cereal (my "life saver") and Mother's Milk tea and my Lactation Consultant said stressing about it isn't helping, so i just let it go and my supply came back great! I eat and exerceise as I like and my supply is fine, just drink your water and the exercise won't affect it. Now, the weight loss- that's another story :) BFing is not helping me! good luck, you will be fine!
  • msino88
    Options
    hahaha, i got the smell from everywhere. I feel like i sweat the stuff!! lol:laugh:
  • kfitz10103
    kfitz10103 Posts: 354
    Options
    It could be a worse smell. I did notice hubby craving a lot more pancakes.
  • msino88
    Options
    :laugh: hahaha