Stressful day

Options
I haven’t really stressed eaten in a least a month, which is how long I’ve been on MyFitnessPal. But today was a heartbreaking day and I caved into old habits. I didn’t log the stress binge either. I really didn’t want to see how much I went over and only feel guilty. I know I didn’t binge anywhere near as much as I would have in the past. My binge today consisted mostly of veggie sticks while past binges would have been lots of sweets (including ones I know would upset my stomach) and really anything and everything I felt like eating. Instead of two handfuls of veggie chips I would have probably polished a whole bag. So I “messed up” today. At least it wasn’t as damaging as in the past and tomorrow’s a new day

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    We all do that. String together a few days in your calorie deficit and it'll be all gone.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    join the club, I did also. I had been low carb and thought maybe it was the carbs back in my diet making me hungry, but then I thought No, it is a trigger time for me, Mothers Day. Don't get along with my Mom or daughter and it is hard. We have a superficial relationship but it is what it is. Found myself overeating and did some writing and it helped. I know I went over at least 400 calories. Emotional eating, bad habits, ick. Trying to get a grip before I do too much damage.
  • kx7003
    kx7003 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    @wagnerchristina99 I’ve been trying frozen grapes to stop me binging. I think you should try this when you start to feel upset and feel a binge coming on. It happens to all of us I’m afraid so we are all in the same boat. At least you are able to limit the binge by binging on low cal snacks. I have been working on limiting the binge and not throwing the towel in after one high calorie snack. For eg after finishing one bag of crisps I usually feel I’ve ruined my diet and then I’ll continue on crisp packet 2 and 3 etc but I’m now trying to stop after packet 1 and tell myself I can still limit the damage by doing a workout at night and having a smaller dinner to prevent going way over my calorie goal. @brenn24179 it’s tough and sometimes it’s worth considering just cutting people out of your life altogether and focusing on you. Is it worth the binge eating and all the crying if the other parties aren’t impacted at all and go about their lives as if they have not caused you any pain. It’s a bold move but I have found the best move for me was just to wake up one day and cut people out and just stop communication period. A persons actions will tell you everything you need to know. Good luck and don’t be sad.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Doesn't sound like a horrible binge. Don't beat yourself up over it.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    tmbg1 wrote: »

Agreed.

OP, were you still close to maintenance? Still under for the week? Mindset is more important than a calorie blip. If you let yourself get too discouraged you risk giving up entirely at some point.

PS Sorry to hear it was a heartbreaking day. Hope today is a happy one.
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,881 Member
    Options
    Be proud of yourself for recognizing what happened. The "binge" itself really does not sound really bad. Learn from it and move on. It really only becomes a problem if repeated - frequently.

An expression I have heard before, if you get one flat tire, don't then decide to flatten the other three. It happened, you acknowledged it and hopefully learned from it, and now move forward constructively.

Wishing you well!
  • wagnerchristina99
    wagnerchristina99 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Well, each handful of veggie sticks was like 150 calories. They’re like chips but sticks and made of vegetables. I also “helped” my kids eat some of their food which I hadn’t done in at least a month. But no, I shouldn’t beat myself up over it. Past experience has taught me that only leads to a second guilt binge.
  • wagnerchristina99
    wagnerchristina99 Posts: 33 Member
    Options

Agreed.

OP, were you still close to maintenance? Still under for the week? Mindset is more important than a calorie blip. If you let yourself get too discouraged you risk giving up entirely at some point.

I’m usually under calorie goal so this is the first time since I started that I was over.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options

Agreed.

I’m usually under calorie goal so this is the first time since I started that I was over.

I try to look at those days as accidental refeeds. Convince yourself that the extra calories reset some hunger hormones and you can frame this into a positive!

• pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Sooo... you're human. Welcome to the species! ;)

Seriously, in the big picture that is nothing. Think about all the days of the rest of your life and try to picture yourself perfectly on plan each and every one of them. It won't happen. Sounds like you have a healthy enough attitude about what happened (I wouldn't call what you described a binge, but we each have to judge for ourselves).