Does anyone ride a tricycle?

Options

Replies

• ValerieMartini2Olives
    ValerieMartini2Olives Posts: 3,041 Member
    Options
    I don't ride a trike but I used to see this one older lady riding one on the bike path and I thought it was really neat! My poppie used to have a trike too. I love to bicycle and if I get to the point where I need to switch to a trike, I totally will.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Well I have been 195 and am currently just below that.. My highest weight was 207..
    I can bike 14, or 34 miles easily. With training I could do the other longer loops.
    The secret is to go a bit further most days you ride. Or do 3 short rides a week and one long ride.

Just keep riding.
    It's almost time to get my bike out here.
    Keep on pedalling
  • IATeacher
    IATeacher Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My wife and I both have trikes as I have back problems and she has balance issues. Just keep going a little more each time. It just takes pushing a little bit more every time you go out.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    You are looking at 2-3 hrs of biking, entirely possible at that weight. Build up over time. I'm assuming that your bike is a Meridian type trike and not a recumbent trike. This will be a little slower than a regular bike, so don't get discouraged. Enjoy your training and the day.

Since you'll be biking more than 2 hrs take water and a banana or gel - just in case you feel the need for extra energy. At 195 you might even consider a two wheeler - if you feel comfortable with that.

Best of luck!! Love all things cycling related.
  • ssflbelle2012
    ssflbelle2012 Posts: 314 Member
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the info and encouragement. Seeing as how I have issues with limited mobility and balance riding a Miami Sun trike is what I need to do right now. It would be grand if by next year I could ride a bike. However when I reach 14 miles on the trike I'll look at the possibility of a bike. Today I did 2.32 miles in 25 minutes with wind gusts of 23 miles an hour from the North West.
  • kiela64
    kiela64 Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    Ah! I never learned how to ride a bike, something like this would be really awesome.
  • meritage4
    Options
    2.32 miles today is awesome. Keep it up!
    If you feel tired one day just stick to your last mileage. If feeling good increase mileage.

You can also mix it up with a shorter and faster ride vs a longer slower ride. Just keep those pedals going!
  • ssflbelle2012
    Options
    Friday and Saturday where shorter distances and yesterday and today I haven't been feeling well. Maybe pushed myself to much last week and too soon after recovery. Tomorrow I go back to work so my triking schedule will have to change to Mon, Wed, Friday, Sat and Sun,
  • UmmSqueaky
    UmmSqueaky Posts: 715 Member
    Options
    Left side of my profile picture is me after riding a 50 mile tour at my highest weight, 205 lbs. Right side is me currently, still biking :) I started out riding a mile from my house, turning around and coming home. Then the next day, riding out a bit further and then coming back home. I didn't push myself to go fast, just to add a bit of distance gradually, working my way up.

34 miles by next February is a great goal, so long as you're working with your doctor and making sure the physical activity is helping and not exacerbating your other health issues. Keep plugging at it, and who knows, maybe you'll be doing the 68 mile route!
  • meritage4
    Options
    YOur 5 day a week plan will work for this training goal. Just keep pedalling as you can.
  • phatgirl79
    phatgirl79 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I weigh 540 lbs and I am seriously thinking about getting a tricycle but I don't know where to find one that will support my weight. I have knee problems so walking is painful. I do water aerobics, but now that the weather is changing, I want to get outside and ride with my son. Any suggestions?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    edited April 2016
    Options
    phatgirl79 wrote: »
    I weigh 540 lbs and I am seriously thinking about getting a tricycle but I don't know where to find one that will support my weight. I have knee problems so walking is painful. I do water aerobics, but now that the weather is changing, I want to get outside and ride with my son. Any suggestions?

See http://www.worksmancycles.com/

I know their bikes are rated upto 550 lbs. See their PAV and PAV Stretch descriptions.
  • MelodiousMermaid
    MelodiousMermaid Posts: 380 Member
    edited August 2017
    Options
    Hi! I know this thread is pretty old, but I thought I'd see if you were still working the trike game, ssflbelle2012.

My first trike was an "upright seat" Sun trike with 20 inch wheels, high handlebars, and two wheels were in the back. It was good to get me started, but I found that I needed something more to stay in the game (especially something I could have a chance at taking a higher-speed corner in). This lead me to the current trike I have, which is a TerraTrike Sportster (2-20" wheels in front, 1-27" wheel in the back, 24 speed, low direct drive steering). I have had it for five years and LOVE it. I can cruise faster, take turns at reasonable speeds (I lean into the turn just to be sure I don't spill -- I did that on my Sun once and have been very "gun shy" ever since).

I recommend you look into both TerraTrike and Catrike as vendors. Hopefully you have one or more bike shops near enough to you that you can try them. Even if it's a day/weekend trip, I recommend doing it in person. Just be sure to call the shop first to assure they have a compatible trike in stock for you to try.

Riding trikes like the one I have does come with downsides:
    1) High price point. I paid nearly $3,000 for it. (My family was down to one car at that point, so I justified it as a purchase of "my own vehicle.")

2) Maximum weight limitation. I believe my trike is rated for 250 pounds. I have pushed my luck when I was heavier in having my nearly 240 body on as well as an above-the-wheel pack in the back which probably weighed about 15-20 pounds in total. I did not notice any issues with the trike with that combination, but highly recommend only emergency/very short-term use, as it is outside the manufacturer's specs, and I'd hate to see anyone have to get a new frame/part due to that. I am uncertain how other models vary in this manner, and am unfamiliar with other brands' limitations, so it's definitely an important research point.

3) My feet lose circulation/feeling on longer rides. I believe this is mostly due to my "rolls" pinching off circulation. It has improved as I've lost weight, but still happens.

4) Uphills can be harder, depending on riding style. I've read about people raising themselves off their seats and using their shoulders/chest to aid on pushing hard on the pedals when they're on uphills, but I am so not there yet. On harder hills, I find it's best to do one or both of the following: A ) Get going more quickly beforehand and pedal as hard as possible as long as possible up the hill. B ) Be sure to get into the lowest gear combination while slowing down so it's possible to "ratchet" up to the top of the hill.

I hope you or someone else find this information to be helpful. I wish you the best in your fitness quest!
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    This old thread interests me as I'm a trike rider - I have an old Pashley Picador (an upright delta trike, classic old style) that I bought to carry mini me about when she was a toddler. I now use it to carry the weekly shop - I have a supermarket 3.5 miles away along a paved cycle path, so it's ideal.

I like riding the trike as it gets a lot of attention and it's fun - it's more like riding a go-kart or something, as opposed to a bike, which feels more like an extension of yourself. It's a great workout, as the thing as very heavy (especially laden) and three wheels means more resistance than two!

Unfortunately it's off the road just now due to a puncture that I haven't got round to fixing, but hopefully it'll be on the go again before long.
  • Polo265
    Polo265 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I'm a 'Snowbird' and live 9 months in Florida in an over 55 community. There are LOTS of trike riders in my community/neighborhood. One guy has even modified his trike to carry his golf clubs. I wanted and needed a bike as I have arthritis in my toes and ankles, so it hurts to walk (oh - I'm 67). I have a 15 speed, but I was becoming a bit afraid of it. It seemed I had to hop to one side to stop. I had shoulder surgery and was afraid of falling when I hopped to stop. Anyway, I purchased a 'comfort' bike. The pedals are set slightly forward. When I stop, I can put my feet flat on the ground and don't have to worry about hopping off. Also, when I get on, I don't have to lift my leg, I just step through. I LOVE it! I'm back north now and didn't bring it with me, but with the cooler weather here, I wish I had another one. Good luck with your riding. :)
  • jstahr50
    jstahr50 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Purchased tadpole recumbent trike (TerraTrike Traveler) in May of 2017. I had all the commented problems of bicycling, butt ache and numbness in hands plus neck surgery that wouldn't allow me to get into tuck position with head up. Had to ride upright with ape hanger handle bars. The recumbent trike was my exercising dream. Love every minute of it except riding into a stiff headwind (aerodynamics not good). I have logged over 5000 miles since purchase. Try to ride 30-35 miles/day when weather permits. Try to maintain a minimum of 10MPH and a cadence of 60+ RPM. On the average according to MapMyRide i burn up about 2000+ calories per ride. If you enjoy cycling but bikes are not for you I encourage you to check out a trike.
  • tansyraindrop
    tansyraindrop Posts: 1 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    It is now 2019..

I'm glad to find this old thread and that it is periodically still active. I am going to buy a "comfort cycle. I think anyway. I have not read anything bad about them. I had weight loss surgery about six weeks ago and want some sort of exercise out doors. Right now I walk with my shepherd. We are going a mile every day. But I want to do more. Hence, a tricycle..

This is the one I want. I hope this link works.. It's a beautiful girly pink.. It is a six speed. 976wfhe1127v.jpg
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    I have ridden my father's Cattrike a time or two.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,843 Member
    Options
    As for your question about someone weighing 195 lbs doing 34+ miles at one time ... I am a member and regional president of Audax Australia and we have a lot of members who would weigh in that range doing 200 km, 300 km, 400 km, 600 km, 1000 km, and 1200 km rides. We're part of an international ultra distance cycling group.
  • ssflbelle2012
    Options
    It has been over 3 years since I was on this posting. Nice to see some folks found this and posted. In answer to your question MelodiousMermaid I was riding up until May of 2019. at that time I had another excess skin removal surgery and had major complications which resulted in a 3 month recovery time. Since Aug I was on my trike twice at the end of August and twice in Feb 2020. Then this Covid19 hit Florida and I have been housebound ever since. In the last 1 1/2 years, I have gained 25 pounds. Not the direction I wanted to go but I lost my motivation in weight loss and bike riding. In 6 months I will be 65 and it was a goal of mine to be below 200 pounds by that birthday so I need to get busy and get back on the program for weight loss and bike riding.
    Maybe I will use this site to post the miles I travel and weight loss each week.