Perfectionist

Options
2»

Replies

• whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I read the “Success Stories” posts on MFP, especially the before and after photos. Some of these people have been working on weight loss for a year or more, and what they have accomplished is truly inspirational. They have all had their ups and downs but the one thing they have in common is they didn’t quit. And many eventually reached their goal weight. It made me realize that if I just stick with it and keep trying, it will work, regardless of whether I have have binge days.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,248 Member
    Options
    I had to stop calorie counting. If I wasn't perfect with my "plan" then I went into a tailspin. With my OCD, Anxiety, and Depression it was not healthy. I was having panic attacks and was in tears because I couldn't do it right.

So I am currently not counting until I get my mental health figured out. Right now my therapist wants me to work on my fear and anxiety when it comes to food so I am doing Intuitive Eating. Which gets a lot of negative comments on these boards, but it does help when it comes to disordered thinking about food, diet, and eating.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    Athijade wrote: »
    I had to stop calorie counting. If I wasn't perfect with my "plan" then I went into a tailspin. With my OCD, Anxiety, and Depression it was not healthy. I was having panic attacks and was in tears because I couldn't do it right.

So I am currently not counting until I get my mental health figured out. Right now my therapist wants me to work on my fear and anxiety when it comes to food so I am doing Intuitive Eating. Which gets a lot of negative comments on these boards, but it does help when it comes to disordered thinking about food, diet, and eating.

I completely understand why you are doing this and it sounds like a good tool for your situation. It likely doesn’t work well for the broader community, but they are not in your unique situation.

Using measuring cups and spoons also generally get negative comments. And I agreee that weighing food is more accurate. But I choose to use volume measurements instead of weight to keep myself mentally in check. I am still losing weight consistently. But I’ll reevaluate my strategy if I stop losing. For me, I feel like I sometimes become obsessed with this weight loss journey and precision can be the thief of progress. For me, seeking accuracy to the gram makes me more obsessive.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I have perfectionist and procrastinator tendencies. They go hand in hand. If I can't do something from start to finish, perfectly and quickly I don't start. It's been a huge problem in my life. My view of life has been fatalistic. I've had a very hard time accepting that I have a learning curve. If I try something (a hobby, recipe, diet, other goal) and I don't do it perfectly the first time, I scrap it. If it's material items I throw it away and all of the supplies I accumulated to accomplish it.

An example: I found a quilt I liked so I decided to make it. I bought quilting books, fabric, a long arm sewing machine, scissors, cutting mats, and many other tools for the job. I started cutting a sewing. I could't get it right. I threw everything away--including a Juki Long Arm quilting machine that was over $5000.00. I threw it onto the ground to ruin it and into the trash it went.

As far as cleaning, I don't spot clean anything ever. I deep clean every time. Everything comes out of every cabinet, closet, cubboard and it all gets cleaned. I even dismantle stuff to clean inside it. It takes me a week of 8-10 hours/day to properly clean my house. I do it quarterly.

I procrastinated starting this diet for about 5 years because I wanted all the weight off instantly. Here I am now, logging and weighing and measuring like the rest of the mere mortals. It feels like I'm such a failure. Twenty five pounds in two months doesn't seem like much. I still look the same, I still feel the same. I still wear the same size jeans...

I get perfectionism. It's a curse that I don't wish on anyone.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,562 Member
    Options
    Every time I have an off day, eat over my calories, or can’t figure out the calories in a meal...I want to quit....and sometimes I do. I’ve downloaded and deleted this app about 100 times.
    What are some of the strategies you all use to continue on?
    Unless you COMMIT to an actual plan and realize that there will be some off days, you'll continue to want to quit. CONSISTENCY is a habitual behavior and takes time to learn a new one. So do it for 21 days straight with no screw ups and then reassess.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • cheyeneinthesprings
    cheyeneinthesprings Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Every time I have an off day, eat over my calories, or can’t figure out the calories in a meal...I want to quit....and sometimes I do. I’ve downloaded and deleted this app about 100 times.
    What are some of the strategies you all use to continue on?
    Unless you COMMIT to an actual plan and realize that there will be some off days, you'll continue to want to quit. CONSISTENCY is a habitual behavior and takes time to learn a new one. So do it for 21 days straight with no screw ups and then reassess.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

And I like what you are saying here too...I can do this for 21 days...
    Athijade wrote: »

And this approach may work for you too...as long as you are mindful. Maybe keep a paper journal or a google docs...