ACV to lose weight

Options
I see a lot of YouTube videos and even my mother claims that ACV has helped them lose weight. What are your opinions

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Yeah my daughter claimed that as well as some celebrities. Unfortunately it's just not true. There just isn't a quick fix for weight loss.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    AVC has shown to help with weight loss because it makes your nauseated. Outside of feeling sick, it has no weight loss properties.
  • Redordeadhead
    Redordeadhead Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    Nope. There are tons of threads about this on these forums and all conclude it doesn't work.
  • cheyeneinthesprings
    cheyeneinthesprings Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    It also is bad for your tooth enamel...
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    Used once as week, diluted with water it makes an amazing hair rinse. Gives soft and shiny hair :smile:
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    AVC has shown to help with weight loss because it makes your nauseated. Outside of feeling sick, it has no weight loss properties.

This! Sometimes just the smell is enough to turn off my appetite. I use it in cooking some recipes and have mixed it with water to stop my dog from eating his bed when he was a puppy. Even a puppy won't ingest acv. However my whole house smelled like ACV.
  • MPDean
    MPDean Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    ACV rubbish.
    Raspberry ketones, lemon water, eating clean, avoiding all sugar, all manner of diets that cause biochemical reactions and so on. All a load of rubbish to sell stuff or beat people up about their food choices.
  • missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Great on a salad though🥗
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Nope. There is one thing that will make you lose weight: eating less calories than you burn.

All these other things like lemon water, acv, etc are just things that people with YouTube channels talk about because they need to put out videos, and "eat a reasonable amount of calories" doesn't make for super exciting video content.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,366 Member
    Options
    While losing weight and logging carefully, I drank ACV for weeks at a time **, and didn't drink it for other weeks at a time. It made zip zero nada no difference in my weight loss rate, and I felt no difference in appetite or satiation.

So, myth, if you ask me.

** I was drinking it for reasons unrelated to weight loss.

And the standardized commercial-strength ACV is no more acidic than dozens of commonly drunk beverages, even before adding it to water as many do, so that "tooth enamel" argument is kinda weak, too. (It could be damaging . . . but far, far from uniquely so.)
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I like it on salads so it does help me lose weight but only because it saves calories I would have used on salad dressing.