Apple Cider Vinegar - does it work?

Options
dmanakho
dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
I've read a couple of articles and watched few YouTube videos on benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar to help with the weight loss.
It is said to take 1 table spoon a day diluted in a glass of water.

Does anyone takes it daily and is it helping at all? I'm just curious if it's just another fad.

Replies

• MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    No. Apple cider vinegar is about as close as we have to a modern day snake oil. Taking it doesn't do anything for you. But some people like it is dressings or flavoring, then go ahead.

To lose weight, there are no short cuts or quick fixes. Eating at a calorie deficit is the only way.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    It works great in salad dressings and marinades. I prefer white vinegar for cleaning, though. For weight loss? You need a calorie deficit. :)
  • qweck3
    qweck3 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    As a direct cause for my weight loss: I highly doubt it. That I attribute to mostly CICO with a solid WOE and fitness routine as a guide over the past year. With that said I cook with the stuff almost daily but never looked at it as a weight loss item. I use it because it tends to bring out the flavors in the sauces I make.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,170 Member
    Options
    While losing weight and logging carefully, I drank ACV for weeks at a time **, and didn't drink it for other weeks at a time. It made zip zero nada no difference in my weight loss rate, and I felt no difference in appetite or satiation.

So, it does nothing at all for weight loss, if you ask me.

** I was drinking it for reasons unrelated to weight loss.

• aokoye
    aokoye Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    MikePTY wrote: »
    No. Apple cider vinegar is about as close as we have to a modern day snake oil. Taking it doesn't do anything for you. But some people like it is dressings or flavoring, then go ahead.

To lose weight, there are no short cuts or quick fixes. Eating at a calorie deficit is the only way.

Nah, I think the idea of ingesting essential oils is a bit closer. The whole, "this isn't eatable!" is what pushes it over the edge for me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    This is a throwback to (at least) the 1970's. It didn't work back then either, just people recycling old news for profit.
  • dmanakho
    dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Here's a 2 year old article providing with some details on possible benefits of Apple Cider Vinegar https://www.cnn.com/2017/07/19/health/apple-cider-vinegar-weight-loss/index.html

According to the article it won't help much with the weight loss, but has few possible positive effects on human body.
  • pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,231 Member
    Options
    It ties with Kool Aide for weight loss but Paul Bragg did a better job peddling it as a health elixir.
  • Terytha
    Terytha Posts: 2,097 Member
    Options
    I hear you can use it to remove skin tags.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    No, it makes no difference for weight loss.

It's great on pork or collards or in salad dressing.