Having trouble reaching calorie goal.

Options
I’m having trouble reaching my calorie goal of 2800. I weigh 126 (goal 140) and never tracked my calories before. I’m realizing that it’s harder than I thought. Some days I reach it, and the days I don’t I’m off by 400-600. That’s also after I’ve eaten breakfast/lunch/dinner and 500-600 calories in snacks (I try to snack at least twice a day.) I eat a cup of fruits/veggies with breakfast/lunch, and have a protein shake after workouts. Even at the end of the day when I have around 600 calories to go, I feel way too full. Maybe it’s mental but not sure, my stomach usually knows when the limit is near.

My question is: What foods are high in calories that I don’t feel like I’m shoving food down to reach my goal? Any other advice is much appreciated!

Replies

• MichelleSilverleaf
    MichelleSilverleaf Posts: 2,028 Member
    Options
    Nuts are usually pretty calorie dense for a very small amount.
  • Zombielicious
    Zombielicious Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Nuts, avocado, olive oil, peanut butter, granola, and chia seeds are all pretty calorie dense.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Calorie dense generally means fat, because fats have more calories per gram than carbs or protein. Fruits and veggies are mostly low in fat, with a few exceptions such as avocado, and thus are fairly low in calories for their volume.

In addition to the foods mentioned above by other posters, full fat dairy and meats are high in calories. You have different goals than people trying to lose weight, so sticking to the boneless, skinless chicken breast, for example, doesn’t make sense for you. Adding cooking oil and dressing to your meals can easily add 600 calories!
  • sefajane1
    sefajane1 Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    OP, I don't know where you are but when I had to gain I was given these drinks. They're nutritionally balanced and actually quite tasty, especially the chocolate and coffee flavours.

https://ensure.com/nutrition-products/ensure-plus/strawberry-shake
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Maybe you also need to cut back on the amount of low-energy-density foods (like veggies and many fruits) that you are eating. If you eat or drink things that are low-fat versions, switch them out for high-fat versions. If you drink a lot of low or no-calorie drinks, start switching in some higher calorie drinks (e.g., adding cream to your coffee or tea if you drink them). If you currently choose lean meat, poultry, and fish all the time, consider other cuts with some fat in them.
  • UroIogist
    UroIogist Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Your stomach should adjust to greater volumes of food over time. You can also try exercising more if you can to increase your appetite. If you really cannot increase your fruit and vegetable intake, you can pack more calorie dense things into your protein shake, such as oatmeal.

If you are currently drinking coffee, you may want to reduce or completely go without that as well as it is an appetite suppressant.

Hope this helps, and good luck!
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,863 Member
    Options
    "shakes" can be a very filling form of calories IMO. I think that is why there are so many "diet" shakes. I think I would look at eat meal/snack and apply some of the suggestions above. Use your tracker looking at each component and try swapping out single elements for something with more calories while still maintaining your nutrition. A steak instead of chicken, sweet potatoes instead of spinach, full fat yogurt instead of zero fat. It actually can be a fun game. :) I of course do this in reverse as I am still trying to trim off a few more pounds.