Grumble

Options
when I joined this site, it recommened that I eat around 1200 cals a day..ok, that is fine. I get moving every day...be it a long walk or step ups or weights at home..anything other then sitting on the couch, and I make it a goal at LEAST 3 times a week (but its more like 5). And in the 6 weeks i have been here, I have gone over my calories like a grand total of 7 times...(I checked) so why for the love of all things, that my scale doesnt move and my tape is going UP?? Really..I am feeling that this is completly dumb, maybe I'm totally mental and should just screw it. becausr obvisouly this isnt working.

Replies

• mamashrub
    Options
    when I joined this site, it recommened that I eat around 1200 cals a day..ok, that is fine. I get moving every day...be it a long walk or step ups or weights at home..anything other then sitting on the couch, and I make it a goal at LEAST 3 times a week (but its more like 5). And in the 6 weeks i have been here, I have gone over my calories like a grand total of 7 times...(I checked) so why for the love of all things, that my scale doesnt move and my tape is going UP?? Really..I am feeling that this is completly dumb, maybe I'm totally mental and should just screw it. becausr obvisouly this isnt working.
  • Georg
    Georg Posts: 1,728 Member
    Options
    This is happening to my husband, too. But he goes WAY over in the fat grams.
    Are you drinking enough water?
    Is it possible you may have miscalculated your serving sizes?
  • Anna_Banana
    Anna_Banana Posts: 2,939 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what you have your weight lose goal set for, but since you have so little to lose I would set it for 1/2 pounds a week and then make sure you are adding in your exercise calories and eating them. I know it seems odd to eat more to lose, but it really does help.
  • timetoembrace
    Options
    sometimes you go up before you start going back down....

there is an article on these posts somewhere where it talks about gaining weight before losing the weight. Maybe someone can link it up for you...

Hang in there..I an losing about .5-1lb a week and I get frusterated. i even went up 2 lbs when I joined this site. Give it time, it will get better...and drink that water...:wink::wink: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    There could be plenty of reasons...are you watching your sodium intake closely? Also are you flushing your system with adequate amounts of fluid preferably water? How long are your excercise routines..I would shoot for over 60minutes of good Cardio 5 times a week as long as your in good health....good luck
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Where is your tape going up? Are you eating a lot of salty foods? You could be retaining water.

I have the same problem... But I'll say for myself, I've eaten out A LOT in the last 3 months. My calories are way over target. I don't think I've had more than 7 days when I was within my calories.
  • mamashrub
    Options
    Where is your tape going up? Are you eating a lot of salty foods? You could be retaining water.

I have the same problem... But I'll say for myself, I've eaten out A LOT in the last 3 months. My calories are way over target. I don't think I've had more than 7 days when I was within my calories.
    my tape is going up every where..and i just checked..in 6 weeks I have a grand total of 7 times I have gone over my limit..any other time I would be like 100 cals.
  • yellow_pepper
    yellow_pepper Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Well, if your scale is not moving and your measurements are increasing...

You could be retaining water, or... you could be losing muscle mass and gaining fat mass. Maybe you need to increase your exercise - both duration and intensity.

But who am I to say? Maybe you should go to a doctor... This could be medical.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

my tape is going up every where..and i just checked..in 6 weeks I have a grand total of 7 times I have gone over my limit..any other time I would be like 100 cals.
    Hmm that may be the cause depending on how much you went over thats about once a week if it was 7 times in 6 weeks....it really just depends what you went over your limit with....Good luck:flowerforyou:
  • mrhappy
    mrhappy Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    :explode:

Frustrating I know.... Been there.

Could be a lot of reasons. Based on my own experience - which may not match yours! - I would say try these things:

1. Drink a lot of water - all day. Basically you are going to be swimming in it (8+ glasses, 8oz each, every 24 hours - if you drink diuretics like coffee or beer, drink MORE water). Remember, chemically speaking you are ~70% H2O; so you cannot get too much. And, your organs cannot process fuel correctly without it, so drink up.

2. Get a minimum of 200 calories early in the day; preferably within 30 min of waking up. If you do this every day, your metabolism gets the "signal" to start burning fuel - fat. You skip breakfast? Your body never gets the signal to jump-start the metabolism.

3. Make sure you are moving into the full cardio zone for at least 20 min 3x a week. A walk - which I used to do every day - seldom gets you past ~60% of your traget heart rate, and thus just stays in the fat burning zone. You get to your target heart rate [((220-your age) x 80%) = THR] and you burn more and for longer periods after coming to rest. In effect you get a boost for the whole day you hit your personal THR for 20 min.

4. Exercise early in the day. This not only allows you to do everything else you need to do that day without "stopping" for exercise, but it also kick starts your bodies engines and tells them to run all day. You burn more calories.

5. Change up your exercise routine. Roughly every three weeks your body adjusts - what you do today will not have the same effect as what you did three weeks ago (on burning calories) if it was the same thing. So; go swimming, ride a bike, hit the treadmill, find an elliptical, join a dance class - whatever! Just remember to keep switching things up so you are challenging your body often.

6. Keep the faith. I know exercise and diet can get old. But not as old as wearing large clothes, being afraid of the pool and not feeling good about yourself when looking in the mirror! Keep the faith!

:glasses: