Either losing or gaining, why?

Options
It seems to me that my body is either doing one or the other. Or maybe I just shouldn’t weigh every day? Ideally I’d like to lose some more fat. I’m at a healthy weight technically, and I wouldn’t mind knowing I could just maintain here for a bit. 5’7” 140. However, it seems like
If I’m not in a deficit, the scale keeps inching up. Anyone else struggle with this?

Replies

• sandymram
    sandymram Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do use happyscale but when it starts increasing for a while I start cutting calories again. I am going to check out the maintenance board too.
  • Johnd2000
    Johnd2000 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I’m in my 3rd year of maintenance. I’m never at the same weight 2 days, or 2 weeks running.

For me, maintenance means eating at a small surplus until I hit the top of my maintenance range (83-88kg), then switching to a small deficit, until I hit the bottom of my range. I’ve been doing that with MFP for the last 16 months. In the process, with regular strength training, I’ve dropped my BF from 18% to a shade under 14%.
  • liz0269
    liz0269 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I weigh daily but I calculate a weekly average. That's the number I count. The scale will fluctuate so it can be hard to see a trend until you lose significant weight.
  • Dandylines
    Dandylines Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    It will change depending on any number of factors including your monthly period. As long as you are in an acceptable range do not worry. Just keep track and adjust when you get too high or low.
  • sandymram
    sandymram Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses! What is an acceptable” range? 2 lbs? For fluctuation
  • PAV8888
    PAV8888 Posts: 13,739 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Most people seem to gravitate to 5lbs scale or 2 lbs weight trend change.

It depends on your personal usual fluctuation levels (some ladies fluctuate 8+lbs during their monthly cycle).

Since I personally do not have hormonal water retention :smirk: I would prefer to see me reacting at about 1.5lbs instead of 2lbs TREND change like last time :wink: (I ignore spot weight changes)

If your food logging is on point changes due to fat should be easy to spot since you will have been finding yourself over eating consistently for that to happen. Anything else is not a fat level change!!!!