Keto and calories

Options
I’ve been eating Keto for about 2 weeks. I’ve been tracking my macros for one week. Help! I’m over doing my carbs and protein, by a few grams, and under doing my fats by several grams. My percentages are off, of course, but looking at the big picture they seem a bit closer to the 5%, 20% & 75% recommendation. My challenge come with my calories, they are way under my goal. I’m consistently under more than 100 calories per my goal. How do you get your calories with out overdoing your proteins and carbs? The one day I did meet (and went over) my goals I still came up short on calories. 😒

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    First, make certain that you are weighing and logging your food accurately.
    If that is properly done, inspect the NET carbs. That is, for a food item, carbs minus fiber is the NET carbs.
    Once you see your net carbs, decide what you want to do about it.

Things like bread, rice, potato, pasta, are only possible in tiny amounts if you're going to keep your net carbs to 5%.

• SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,855 Member
    Options
    I did keto last summer, but had to quick due to side effects. Anyhow, easy way to add calories without adding carbs and protein is simple. It is fat - butter, oils, fattier cuts of meat, high fat low carb cheeses.

As for going over in protein or not, and how it effects keto.... What I recall being told is that the reason that you do not want to go over in protein on Keto is because any protein beyond your daily needs gets turned into glucose like a carbohydrate, called gluconeogenesis. This can throw you out of ketosis. The math for your protein is 0.7–0.9 grams of protein per pound of body weight. I would then see what % of daily calories is that number for you and aim for that.

• lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Protein is not going to kick you out of ketosis at the level I suggested. Some of the youtube/internet keto gurus for some reason have unnecessarily low levels of protein, and that's not a good idea as muscle maintenance actually requires more protein on keto: https://caloriesproper.com/protein-ketosis-and-lean-mass/
  • SModa61
    SModa61 Posts: 2,855 Member
    Options
    Lemon and Lemur, Thanks for better answers than I gave. I only did it 5 weeks, learned what I could, but found it was wrong for me (or at least the way I did it was).
  • matilda116
    matilda116 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for you input!! I’m continuing to research and work out what works best for me. Yesterday I had a good day balancing my macros and I was only 71calories away from my ‘daily goal’! Salads with oil and vinegar was my go to to get my fats, bring on dark green salads 🤗.
  • chelny
    chelny Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Psulemon, I’m certainly not one to equate protein with sugar. (Although I’m sure there is a lot of misinformation online, even in this community. We need to take care and be wise to decipher truth from error. ) I’ve taken my cues for the Keto Diet from doctors I’ve read online & books. Here’s one article about protein’s role in nutrition and how much we should eat. I don’t think the 2 of us are that far off in our understandings, other than your article tells people to eat as much protein as the want, and mine says to eat it in moderation. Since I am one of the people trying to heal my body with nutrition ( from diabetes), I will err on the side of moderate protein intake.
    https://blog.virtahealth.com/how-much-protein-on-keto/
  • chelny
    Options
    Possibly low. Another resource said .8 gm/kg of healthy weight, which is where I started. That calculation got me to 50 gm. Also, I do eat meat & whole food. The almond flour biscuit was just a suggestion.

I'm admittedly a beginner at this. I don't want to argue w/ people about it. I'm trying to learn. And I was trying to help OP to the best of my knowledge. My understanding varied from the other poster's. After reading their article, I see the differences are less than I originally thought, although there are some differences. I believe we both indicated to OP that they could eat more protein than they were eating.
  • AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    chelny wrote: »
    Possibly low. Another resource said .8 gm/kg of healthy weight, which is where I started. That calculation got me to 50 gm. Also, I do eat meat & whole food. The almond flour biscuit was just a suggestion.

I'm admittedly a beginner at this. I don't want to argue w/ people about it. I'm trying to learn. And I was trying to help OP to the best of my knowledge. My understanding varied from the other poster's. After reading their article, I see the differences are less than I originally thought, although there are some differences. I believe we both indicated to OP that they could eat more protein than they were eating.

I understand and I'm sure the OP appreciated your friendly post or at least I know I would! :) But my post was for you because I'm concerned your protein goal is way too low - 90g is the low mark for most IME with 125g-135g of protein being more typical for those eating low carb who need to moderate protein. And many need a lot more than that, upwards of 150g and more.

Either or, your Virtra Health link is an excellent source of good information. I hope you'll consider their protein guidelines and recalculate your goals. Sincere best wishes to you.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,389 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2019
    Options
    chelny wrote: »

Please don't take my correction as argumentative. I was pointing out a piece of information that has not been proven. Even the article you posted with vague and didn't provide any additional value to what is "too much protein". This has been spouted around low carb and keto communities for years. It is false and is not supported by evidence. What is supported is the recommended levels of protein in the article. Overall, the most recent meta-analysis suggest 1.5-2.2g/kg during weight loss or being active (reference). Looking at bodybuilders, who regularly eat 200-300g of protein during cuts, still experience ketosis when restricting carbs to below 50g. That is backed by the research that Lyle McDonald has done. It's why I made that argument for what you posted.

Additionally, if you would like, or anyone would like for that matter, to see tons of data supporting my position, I can certainly provide it. Protein is one of the most studied nutrients in nutritional science. Where it has limited support is protein requirements for those in ketogenic diets. If anything, when carbs are removed from the equation (since carbs are anti-catabolic), protein requirements go up. At least currently, the evidence for lean body mass preservation is not overly favorable for keto. The below is a good summary of it:

Summary-Table.png

If anything, I am hoping you can use some of this information to improve your own fitness journey. I hope as part of your diabetes management that you are also include exercise (especially resistance training) into your protein. Resistance training, more so than cardio, improves insulin sensitivity, which helps your body be able to utilize glucose.
  • chelny
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »

Please don't take my correction as argumentative. I was pointing out a piece of information that has not been proven. Even the article you posted with vague and didn't provide any additional value to what is "too much protein". This has been spouted around low carb and keto communities for years. It is false and is not supported by evidence. What is supported is the recommended levels of protein in the article. Overall, the most recent meta-analysis suggest 1.5-2.2g/kg during weight loss or being active (reference). Looking at bodybuilders, who regularly eat 200-300g of protein during cuts, still experience ketosis when restricting carbs to below 50g. That is backed by the research that Lyle McDonald has done. It's why I made that argument for what you posted.

Additionally, if you would like, or anyone would like for that matter, to see tons of data supporting my position, I can certainly provide it. Protein is one of the most studied nutrients in nutritional science. Where it has limited support is protein requirements for those in ketogenic diets. If anything, when carbs are removed from the equation (since carbs are anti-catabolic), protein requirements go up. At least currently, the evidence for lean body mass preservation is not overly favorable for keto. The below is a good summary of it:

Summary-Table.png

If anything, I am hoping you can use some of this information to improve your own fitness journey. I hope as part of your diabetes management that you are also include exercise (especially resistance training) into your protein. Resistance training, more so than cardio, improves insulin sensitivity, which helps your body be able to utilize glucose.

Thanks for this info.