What should I eat? It's difficult to eat 1500 cal.

Nada_2021
Nada_2021 Posts: 31 Member
Hello everyone,

I never thought that this would be a problem, but I'm finding it very difficult to eat my calories, the right ones to be specific. A week ago I used to eat over 2000 calories since it was mostly junk food and lots of chips. But now that I'm eating fresh, homemade meals I feel full fast and can't reach 1500 cal.

To top it off, based on my health condition my carb intake should be 30% max. I'm also sensitive to lactose so cheese is a big no, but I can handle a pot of Greek yogurt 2-3 times a week.

So far I can eat about 1000-1200 calories a day, but my carbs are always above 20% and my fat% is extremely low, it should be around 50%. The only protein I can eat are eggs, tuna, salmon, and shrimp.

I need easy or simple recipes that can help me reach 1500 calories while keeping my carbs below 30%. Can you help?

Replies

• zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    My current macros split is carb 95g/20% , fat 116g/55%, protein 119g/25%

I eat meat, eggs, dairy (greek yogurt, cottage cheese/other cheeses and half&half), nuts and seeds, vegetables, some fruit (berries and avocado usually), a few servings of grains spread throughout the week, butter and olive oil and olives, salmon, lower carb condiments, a bit of dark chocolate and then lower carb ice cream. I eat out a couple times a week as well, (choosing lower carb options as much as possible), etc etc. Actually pretty similar to how I used to eat, just with a few modifications :)

I have found that a lower carb/higher fat macros ratio does act as an appetite suppressant so I do have to be intentional about getting in enough calories. I add more butter and olive oil to dishes, I eat bigger portions of pistachios and meat, I use bigger amounts of condiments etc.
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Try looking for keto or diabetic friendly recipes to keep your carbs low. Fats are your friend! Nut butters and nuts are an easy way to bring calories up quickly. Another is adding a tablespoon extra of olive oil to your salad.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    My diary is open and I heat 2000+ calories a day, and you can look for suggestions. I balance "healthy, home cooked meals" and some food that is more processed and that you may consider "junk" but has improved my health by helping me lose weight.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Ned_2013 wrote: »
    Hello everyone,

I never thought that this would be a problem, but I'm finding it very difficult to eat my calories, the right ones to be specific. A week ago I used to eat over 2000 calories since it was mostly junk food and lots of chips. But now that I'm eating fresh, homemade meals I feel full fast and can't reach 1500 cal.

To top it off, based on my health condition my carb intake should be 30% max. I'm also sensitive to lactose so cheese is a big no, but I can handle a pot of Greek yogurt 2-3 times a week.

So far I can eat about 1000-1200 calories a day, but my carbs are always above 20% and my fat% is extremely low, it should be around 50%. The only protein I can eat are eggs, tuna, salmon, and shrimp.

I need easy or simple recipes that can help me reach 1500 calories while keeping my carbs below 30%. Can you help?

If you're eating fat free yogurt (or fat-free other stuff), switch to full fat. Nuts and avocados can add both fat and fiber. Eat salmon more often (more fat). Butter has no lactose so you can use that as well as olive and other oils in your cooking - shrimp sautéed in butter with lemon lemon and garlic is totally yummy, for example. You could also maybe expand your seafood repertoire just for variety if you are getting bored with protein sources.
  • craziirabbit
    craziirabbit Posts: 103 Member
    No kidding! It's a daily struggle to meet my calorie goals. I try to eat lots of meat, eggs (even though i really don't like them), and rice....rice is my go to. Not instant rice. Lots of protein and good carbs and calories
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,455 Member
    No kidding! It's a daily struggle to meet my calorie goals. I try to eat lots of meat, eggs (even though i really don't like them), and rice....rice is my go to. Not instant rice. Lots of protein and good carbs and calories

What’s wrong with instant rice?