For the love of....

Options
What is your driver to eat better and exercise more?

Mine is for the love of muay Thai, I'm losing weight so I can fight competitively, get fitter to train more, did yoga/pilates when I couldn't train to help with flexibility... To help my fighting.

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Health and fitness mostly. A little bit so I look good naked.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    So January 2020 I want to join the Polar Bear Club or one of the charity events that run into the freezing ocean. I need to be able to run out really quickly from the ocean so I can warm up. Need to be able to not be so stiff, achey and to get my health back.
  • buckykatt1
    buckykatt1 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I want to cut my half marathon time down to 2:30 at some point. 2:45 is the goal for this year and I think dropping 20 extra pounds will help.
    Also just general health and wanting to be a lot fitter than I was at my last terrible job.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    For the love of life.... I like that
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    To look better, now and in the future, but also to be fit, healthy and have muscle as I age.
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    What is your driver to eat better and exercise more?

Mine is for the love of muay Thai, I'm losing weight so I can fight competitively, get fitter to train more, did yoga/pilates when I couldn't train to help with flexibility... To help my fighting.

Food-I'm always experimenting with different ways of eating, to keep maintenance from becoming boring.

Exercise-I've added walking to my maintenance plan because it's good for cardiovascular health. I see several of my elderly neighbors out walking every day in rain, snow or sunshine and I want to be like them someday-in my 70s and 80s and still mobile. The older people in my family are usually shut-ins by the time they hit their early 80s and I don't want to be that.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Options
    For the love of feeling good about myself.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    To control my arthritis pain. To look good mentally and physically. To be able to lift more than my husband at the gym :D
  • BattyKnitter
    BattyKnitter Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    For the love of future me. I squat so that when I'm really old I don't need any help getting off the toilet!
  • meganpettigrew86
    Options
    For the love of my mum, seeing how she has let herself get by not putting her health first makes me want to never let that happen to me. I'm taking her to yoga and for walks but it's a real wake up call.
  • mom23mangos
    mom23mangos Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    VioletRojo wrote: »
    My family, especially the women, tend to live a very long time. It's nothing for my family members to live to 100. If I'm going to live that long I want to remain independent and strong, not tied to a wheelchair and a oxygen tank.

This!!!^^^^
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Short-term reason: I'm going to be in Colorado and Wyoming in a few weeks - mountain areas - doing a lot of walking around (I hesitate to say hiking because I am not sure what all we'll be up to) at thousands of feet above sea level. I want to be able to go where I want to go, at the pace I want to go at. Long term: live happily, healthily and independently until that final sudden illness takes me out at a ripe(r) and old(er) age (I'm already too old to die young).
  • icemom011
    icemom011 Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    For myself and my family, to be strong, fit, able-bodied and independent well into old years. To look and feel good, to minimize health issues related to being overweight as much as possible, to enjoy outdoors, to be able to have active lifestyle for many years. For my wife, to enjoy our life together in good health. To see my kids grow older and wiser and enjoy the new levels of the relationship between myself and my adult kids! For every sunrise and sunset that i get to see.
  • meganpettigrew86
    Options
    Maxxitt wrote: »
    Short-term reason: I'm going to be in Colorado and Wyoming in a few weeks - mountain areas - doing a lot of walking around (I hesitate to say hiking because I am not sure what all we'll be up to) at thousands of feet above sea level. I want to be able to go where I want to go, at the pace I want to go at. Long term: live happily, healthily and independently until that final sudden illness takes me out at a ripe(r) and old(er) age (I'm already too old to die young).

I love hiking it also is a motivator for me.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    My Gaelic hurling club (an Irish sport that's something like a cross between field hockey and lacrosse) has gone through a rebuilding phase and is picking up steam lately, and we now have some matches lined up. I'm a midfielder, and my strength used to be that I could run players down all day while I just wouldn't get tired myself. But I've fallen completely out of shape, and right now rebuilding my stamina is my motivation.