Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Help me find a fitness goal

slbbw
slbbw Posts: 329 Member
I am very driven by external motivation and I need a new fitness goal. I have done distance running as my standard for the past 15 years or so off and on (mostly 10Ks with a few HM and a marathon in there). I am coming off 4 months of mostly indoor gym stuff and will be adding outdoor running back in in 3-6 mile range at least to start. My usually yearly races are not happening this year and so I do not have an easy race to train for. I am really enjoying lifting right now, but I have been doing mostly circuit classes and feel no real external motivation there. I have done triathlons in the past, but I have a 4 and 8 year old and worry tri-training is not conducive with small children and trying to fit in lifting. I used to do mostly indoor rock climbing and am considering that again with the family in tow. Also considering adding a lifting program, which should help me see progress, but I am currently limited to dumbells only.

I need a goal or a race or something to aim for. Any ideas? I'm the fittest I've been in 12 years (when I was doing tri's) so no real limitation on what I can pick. Time is really the main limitation. I am currently doing something 5 days a week and then I like to do family activities on the weekend.

Replies

• BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    If you enjoyed the triathlons you could focus on shorter course races (sprint & oly) without sacrificing too much family time. Or if you want to change things up from running go for a cycling event (Grand Fondo?) if there are local one you could participate in.

• pierinifitness
    pierinifitness Posts: 2,226 Member
    How about challenging yourself with a military PT test? I did in my early 50’s as a birthday challenge.

I chose to train for the Marine PT Test which then consisted of pull-ups, abdominal crunches and a 3-mile run. My goal was to score 250 points not age-adjusted (300 is perfect score). Didn’t get it first year birthday test but got it in 3rd year.

I generally gave myself a 6-8 week preparation period and tested on my birthday. Then I’d go back to regular training. It was a great use of my training time and I had fun doing it.

If not a military test, find something to your liking which may have rep performance and time completed performance goals. I regularly do this and like the test aspect.

Currently, I have a goal of completing 100 pull-ups in 20 minutes and 100 bar dips in 15 minutes. I have others involving KB complex completed in a certain time.

I think for best results, a 6-8 week training period then the test should wet your whistle. Afterwards, you return to your regular training.

Hope you find your next challenge sweet spot. Train smart and be safe.
  • meganpettigrew86
    meganpettigrew86 Posts: 349 Member
    Take up a martial art, your family can do this too. Go hiking in the weekend, aim for a certain number of family miles.
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    I'd look for a destination race in the fall. See if you can aim for a personal best at the 10 or 15k distance, and bring your family on vacation to race weekend.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    I second shorter distance tris. You're already in such good shape, training shouldn't take a huge amount of time. Event attendance can become a family outing. Look for some kids tris as well, then tri can become family activity. Check out Women for Tri facebook group.
  • ca_josh
    ca_josh Posts: 35 Member
    Do a muscle-up. It requires months of training or peak physical fitness.
  • littlegreenparrot1
    littlegreenparrot1 Posts: 701 Member
    Have a look at obstacle course races, I find them tremendous fun.
    You are already running and strength training so probably wouldn't be much additional to do.

I have seen some that run parallel events for kids, even one where you can take the dog :smile:
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,435 Member
  • slbbw
    slbbw Posts: 329 Member
    Thanks everybody for the ideas. I have a baseline for Army PT of 230 and I will use that to measure progress. All the tri suggestion have convinced me at least to join the pool this summer and see where I can get with that. Swimming is my weakest event by far. I did my first run back outdoors this morning and felt really good, so I am considering a half for the fall, or a tri if I think I can swing it. The muscle-up is a nice goal, I have to work on the pull-up first though and I think I will add that in.

I am going to use the next month or so to add some new stuff and see then what feels like good motivation.