Waste of time doing crunches with significant belly fat?

Options
Okay so I still have about 40 more pounds to lose and although my stomach has gotten smaller, there is still a significant amount of fat on it. I started doing crunches a few days ago and I certainly feel it in my stomach muscles, but I'm wondering if I should wait to get the belly fat down some more before I continue doing the crunches? I understand any exercise is good, but objectively speaking, would you suggest to keep doing it or is it unnecessary until I lose more fat so that my abs can be more visible?

Thank you for your input. :)

Replies

• felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    if you are doing them correctly you will still be working the core muscles so that once the "outlayer" is burned away you will have already been working on the muscles.
  • MattHaviland620
    Options
    I would keep doing it, because once you do lose the weight the abs will be way more visible.

Good Luck
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    A strong core is important for a whole lot of reasons besides aesthetics. Keep working on the abs
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    ^^^ What they said. PLUS... you're still building muscle which will help you burn more calories overall. :bigsmile: b
  • MissTomGettingThin
    MissTomGettingThin Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I would keep doing it, because once you do lose the weight the abs will be way more visible.

Good Luck

This!! :O)
    It's what I'm doing.

Good Luck
  • RissaDean
    RissaDean Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I carry most of my fat in the midsection, so I've been focusing on cardio to help burn that off....It seems (to me and my super short-sightedness) that crunches are a waste of time until I can actually see results.

I actually saw better results doing push ups (got through week 5 of the 100 push up challenge before I went on vacation). Please don't ask me to explain how doing push ups worked my core - but it did, honestly. I don't have a 6 pack now or anything, but I def started seeing more of a waist and I could feel the burn in my abs and such.
  • EMSNJOEY
    EMSNJOEY Posts: 20
    Options
    Burning the fat will help to slim you down, but training your muscles is JUST as important. Getting your core strong will benefit your posture, your health and it can reduce/eliminate back pain. I would say that all forms of strength training are important no matter how much fat you have to lose. Building your muscles helps to boost your metabolism which in turn will help you burn calories faster and reach your goals more quickly and efficiently!

You are already down 46 pounds! Keep up the great work!
  • vaderandbill
    vaderandbill Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    You can do any exercises you want to do and you should. But remember that you can't spot reduce on your body so building muscle anywhere you can will help you burn more fat. Also, crunches can hurt your neck and/or lower back if you do them too often. Try planks, side planks and mountain climbers to mix it up.
  • Keefypoos
    Keefypoos Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    ^^^ What they said. PLUS... you're still building muscle which will help you burn more calories overall. :bigsmile: b

cool I'm intreged just what sort of extra calorie burn might i expect?
  • Ashonym
    Ashonym Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat but I AM doing my sit ups and crunches. When the fat comes off those abs will be beautiful and totally worth it!! Keep at it I say. :) And like was mentioned, muscle will build beneath the fat in the meantime and said muscle will assist in burning more calories and literally eating away the fat on top of it meanwhile! (Or so I hear...)
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Yup, keep at it for increased core strength and to get those muscles ready for their unveiling!
  • Elleinnz
    Elleinnz Posts: 1,661 Member
    Options
    Keep doing them - lots of them!!

You are strengthening your core - and building those muscles - as the fat "melts off" you will already have the muscle definition and wont have to start working on it....

I started with doing 10 at a time a year ago when I was over 300 lbs, and can now do 3 sets of a 100 a day :-)
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options

cool I'm intreged just what sort of extra calorie burn might i expect?

Depends on the person, but it's been widely researched and published that building muscle boosts metabolism.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Keep doing them, they won't hurt you. Just remember, working only your abs is only half of the equation. you need to work your lower back as well. Resistance exercises should always try to work out both sides of the body (example: every bicep exercise should be paired with a tricep exercise, every quadricep exercise should be paired with a hamstring exercise, etc).
  • rocketpants
    rocketpants Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I carry most of my fat in the midsection, so I've been focusing on cardio to help burn that off....It seems (to me and my super short-sightedness) that crunches are a waste of time until I can actually see results.

I actually saw better results doing push ups (got through week 5 of the 100 push up challenge before I went on vacation). Please don't ask me to explain how doing push ups worked my core - but it did, honestly. I don't have a 6 pack now or anything, but I def started seeing more of a waist and I could feel the burn in my abs and such.

pushups / planks are a great way to work the core. You have to use both your abs, and your lower back muscles to keep your hips off the ground.
  • baygirl75
    Options
    Keep crunching because you are building muscle and burning fat all at the same time. Faster results:)
  • TheBraveryLover
    TheBraveryLover Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for the info guys! I'm glad the general consensus is yes, because to be honest, I like doing them!

Love mfp so much! :happy:
  • TiffanyA2008
    Options
    I carry most of my fat in the midsection, so I've been focusing on cardio to help burn that off.

^^^This is me!! Focusing on cardio right now to burn the fat! Geez, I hope it's working :)
  • PlanetVelma
    PlanetVelma Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Push-up

They help your core because you're basically in the "plank" position - my fiance has said that push ups are pretty under-rated. That is his "go to" exercise.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options

Good Luck

This!! :O)
    It's what I'm doing.

Good Luck

i'm doing this too.