Horrible at logging food

Options
JKolb17
JKolb17 Posts: 11 Member
I've tried multiple times to log all my food in here but I'm just horrible at keeping up. I will log it good for a day or two then plain forget and get back in a couple days/weeks later and give up all together. I find it frustrating to search for, add, etc. I make about 95% of my own food and trying to find the caloric equivalent to everything is honestly a pain in the butt. I know everyone says "weigh your food" "add it in to the log" etc. But when does everyone have time and/or patience for this? Am I missing something? Fed up with keeping my food diary up.

Replies

• Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    i eat a lot of the same foods so after a few days/weeks the majority of things are in my recent and quick to populate. weighing is pretty fast once you get the hang of it, and you can avoid dirtying multiple spoons/cups.

it`s even easier when making your own really. put raw ingredient on scale, log it (either as an item or in a recipe) and tare the scale and add the next.

i take time in the morning to log.

Again it IS more tedious the first few days and weeks but it really becomes quick and easy for 95% of foods once you have some practice and a good list of "good" entries to pick from in your recents.

One option is to log one meal a dya for a few weeks. then once that becomes easy, add another.
  • smoofinator
    smoofinator Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Panini911 wrote: »
    weighing chips shouldn't even take 60 seconds honestly!

I move at sloth speed :D
  • OkieGina
    OkieGina Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I feel exactly the same way. BUT I seem to hold myself more accountable when I log (I eat better when i have to write it down), so that kind of keeps me going. I tend to food prep a lot on the weekends - not necessarily whole meals, but ingredients - so right now I have cooked chicken breast, stir fry veggies, rice, cauli rice, strawberries, etc. already prepped and in the fridge. In addition to making my life easier during the week, that also makes it easier to log my meals (at least for me) - 5 oz chicken bread, 1/4 C cauli rice, etc. (one of these days, I'll start weighing it all - but this works for me).

Also - I don't stress too much about being exact. I didn't think to weigh/measure all my veggies before i stir fried them, so I just found a generic "stir fry veggies" entry to use. If I can manage to log all (or at least most) of my food and make progress - then I think that's good enough. I know from past experience that logging my food really does work - but, at times, I really hate it. I just try to do the best I can and not worry about it too much.
  • dmanakho
    dmanakho Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Logging food, especially home made food is a major pain in the butt. I agree with you. But it comes with your commitment to shape yourself in to a better form.
    There are no or little shortcuts, you just have to be committed. It comes with a territory.

Stay strong
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    Weighing and logging really only takes a couple of minutes a day. 5-10 at most. We waste time on some many other things that are more time consuming and take more effort than weighing and logging food. It doesn't really take patience or time, but it does take some discipline. You have to commit to doing it and building it into your routine. Once you do, it will get easier.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    One thing that seems help me is that I keep some paper nearby in the kitchen for writing my notes of the various weights of ingredients I use whenever some recipe is taking several ingredients. I do the cooking, then some time later I take the paper to the computer and do the logging.

good point. i take photos with my phone sometimes to do the entry in recipe later.
  • garystrickland357
    garystrickland357 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    I'm gonna kind of buck the trend here.... I am very sloppy with my logging, I log everyday (mostly, I missed a very busy weekend) but I have a tendency to just pick the entry that most closely matches because I cook most of my meals at home and ....heaven forbid! I don't have a scale! I know, I know, I could probably be getting better results if I was more diligent but the fact is I am losing inches and I am slowly losing weight doing what I'm doing, so, for me, I am not going to get hung up on precision. Now when I get closer to my goal weight, I very well might invest in a scale but for now I am going to continue going to the gym, weigh myself daily, and do guesstimate logging.

BUT I am also not on here asking for a bunch of advice and whining about not losing either because I ultimately know what I need to do.

This. I think if the truth were told many of us get sloppy at times - I do. I also think like you though we know that if we start to stall or have issues we know that one of the first steps is to tighten our logging and be more mindful about what we're doing.
  • texasredreb
    texasredreb Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    There are many good tips on here! Don't give up!

I work 50+ hours/week as a teacher and add 20+ hours/week as a dog trainer on top of that and I find the time to weigh and log everything! I cook from scratch every night of the week except for Saturday. In order to stay within my caloric allotment, I eat very easy and quick breakfasts and lunches--usually prepackaged shakes, bars, and the like. This saves a lot of logging time as I just copy the previous day's entry until I change foods.

I'm very motivated to succeed and that is part of what drives me to remember to weigh and log everything.

Find your motivation and do it!!!
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you always stick to your weekly menu, you can pre-log your week in advance. This way a good chunk of your day will be logged and you will only need to tweak it if something changes.
  • JetJaguar
    JetJaguar Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I'm sort of halfway between perfect and sloppy logging. I'll always log my breakfast and lunch, which is pretty easy since I mostly tend to eat the same things for those meals. But once I know how many calories I have left over for dinner, if I make something that I know from past experience fits within that budget, I'll often not bother to actually log it.
  • NovusDies
    NovusDies Posts: 8,940 Member
    Options
    I wasn't very good in the beginning. It was clunky and unnatural. I would forget to get the raw weight before cooking and more than a few times I started eating before I weighed anything. Even when it wasn't 100 percent accurate I kept logging because something is always better than nothing.

In a few short weeks it was routine. I still committed many newbie errors but I was getting there.

Fast forward 400+ days and now I am actually uncomfortable if more than an hour goes by without logging my food. We attended a party on Saturday that lasted for close to 4 hours and even though I knew my log would have a lot of guesswork in it I was still relieved when I was finally able to log it.