Any marathoners out there?

Options
Training for my first half. Just wondering if yall have any suggestions on books, i need help with the nutrition part, ive been searching online but is there a website or book that can break it down better? I really dont know what i am looking for specifically. but to all those that have ran a half or full, give me some insight on anything! TIA!

Replies

• jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    In terms of macros or in terms of a certain diet or what? Not sure exactly what you're looking for. I'm training for my first marathon and I'm at 50-25-25. For me personally, living in the South and training in the intense heat, water is vital as are electrolytes for my long runs. I worry most about fuel for my long runs and I eat maintain a fairly healthy diet otherwise.
  • michis05
    michis05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    In terms of macros or in terms of a certain diet or what? Not sure exactly what you're looking for. I'm training for my first marathon and I'm at 50-25-25. For me personally, living in the South and training in the intense heat, water is vital as are electrolytes for my long runs. I worry most about fuel for my long runs and I eat maintain a fairly healthy diet otherwise.

Anything...from what you eat , how your train..just anything. I am a newbie, so the more i know about things the better! I live in georgia and this humidity is NO JOKE!! Water is my BFF :) I am getting used to it though :)
  • danger_kitteh
    danger_kitteh Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    http://www.amazon.ca/Runners-World-Performance-Nutrition-Stronger/dp/1594862184/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1314235471&sr=8-1

This book had a lot of information in it that really broke down the science of what different products were, how they worked in your body, how your body uses different types of fuel & hydration. I'm on my second read and even if you don't plan on running competitively just knowing how to fuel your body is awesome
  • jillybeanruns
    jillybeanruns Posts: 1,420 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of running books, but I don't ever read them. I just go by instinct and listen when other runners with experience speak. Of course, it's not that easy... a lot of it is trial and error, especially when it comes to fueling, sneakers and pace. Runner's World has some good basic articles that are easy to follow and explain the different types of runs, fueling and pretty much everything. Have you run any races before? Or are you new to running?
  • michis05
    michis05 Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I have a lot of running books, but I don't ever read them. I just go by instinct and listen when other runners with experience speak. Of course, it's not that easy... a lot of it is trial and error, especially when it comes to fueling, sneakers and pace. Runner's World has some good basic articles that are easy to follow and explain the different types of runs, fueling and pretty much everything. Have you run any races before? Or are you new to running?
    I am too going by what others say works for them, i love runner's world :) I have been running for about 4 years now. Done races here and there, i was in the military so we did ALOT of running. This would be my first half though. I didnt realize how much commitment and discipline you had to put into the training! Even though i struggle at times.... I love to run, and i cant wait for the marathon, but honestly it needs alot of dedication.
  • springtrio
    springtrio Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    Today I decided to transfer my half to a full next month. I upped my calories from 1,200 to 1,500 and as I train harder I'm going to gradually increase as my body needs it. I'm actively losing but it's kind of hard to lose when you're training. Have a colorful diet is key. Runners World just posted an article on the Runners Diet. If you are interested please send me a PM, and I'll get you the info on it.
  • runningathena
    runningathena Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I was also going to suggest the Runner's Diet. :) I've run 18 half marathons (19 & 20 this weekend :noway: ) and one full (second one on Oct. 9). Protein is your friend, too many people overlook it for carbs, but it helps SO much with muscle recovery.

Best of luck!
  • jessicamckay13
    Options
    I'm doing a half marathon training plan now...two week vacation has thrown me off, both running-wise and nutrition-wise! Trying to shake off a bad run this morning. I try to listen to my body and eat what I crave. I need net 2,000+ cals a day (aiming for 100+ protein) and it's so hard to eat clean! So, I'm looking for advice as well :)
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I've walked 8 half marathons and am prepping for 9 and 10 this fall. My hands down favorite book for an approachable introduction to the world of marathoning is John Bingham's Marathoning for Mortals. A masterpiece. Not specifically a nutrition book but a great overview of how to train and what to expect.

Best of luck to you! Marathoning has changed my life. There's no better feeling than a finisher medal around your neck!

--Denise
  • Laurarunnergirl
    Laurarunnergirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have two marathon training/nutrition books that I like:

Nancy Clark's "Food Guide for Marathoners" (or some similar title)
    Suzanne Girard-Eberle's "Eat Drink Win" (good for all endurance athletes)

Both of them have good advice and sample meal plans. I wish I had read either one of these when I first started running marathons/half marathons a gazillion years ago! Good luck to you all in your races -- I have three half marathons coming up in Sept/Oct (including one on my birthday -- great way to celebrate -- especially after the race)
  • Laurarunnergirl
    Laurarunnergirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Oops, Suzanne Girard-Eberle's book is actually titled "Endurance Sports Nutrition"
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options
    Look for some of Jeff Galloway's books. USA Fit also has a website that can show you their training schedule (such as, don't run every day, how to run intervals, etc). I ran my first marathon in 2005 when I was 38 and have run half since then. What I love about marathon running is anyone can do it! You see all shapes and sizes out there. Training for a marathon is NOT about losing weight, though. Most good trainers will tell you if you're training properly, you shouldn't be losing weight during those months. Good luck to you!!!! If I can do it, anyone can!
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    training for my 24th (& 25th & 26th) marathon(s)

I honestly don't really do anything special nutrition wise.
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    I am too going by what others say works for them, i love runner's world :) I have been running for about 4 years now. Done races here and there, i was in the military so we did ALOT of running. This would be my first half though. I didnt realize how much commitment and discipline you had to put into the training! Even though i struggle at times.... I love to run, and i cant wait for the marathon, but honestly it needs alot of dedication.

I was just going to suggest Runner's World! Jeff Galloway has some great insights as well, although I never used his walk breaks. I do search online for any specific question I have in re nutrition. Mayo Clinic information can be trusted. Livestrong.com is also reliable. Here's just one example of an article that might be helpful to you: http://www.active.com/running/Articles/How_to_Run_Your_First_Marathon.htm
  • macpatti
    macpatti Posts: 4,280 Member
    Options

I used his walk breaks....I ran a 9-1 interval (run for 9 minutes, walk for 1 minute) the whole marathon. For beginners, it can be helpful.

I was just going to suggest Runner's World! Jeff Galloway has some great insights as well, although I never used his walk breaks. I do search online for any specific question I have in re nutrition. Mayo Clinic information can be trusted. Livestrong.com is also reliable. Here's just one example of an article that might be helpful to you: http://www.active.com/running/Articles/How_to_Run_Your_First_Marathon.htm