What if...

Goal2Reach47
Goal2Reach47 Posts: 4 Member
edited May 2019 in Motivation and Support
I'm trying to get started at my local gym. I have anxiety. Everytime I get ready to leave out a swirl of "what if" questions surround my mind and I wind up not going. How do I get passed this annoying barrier? 😬😓😨😰

Replies

• dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    I can pretty much guarantee that everyone at the gym is in their own world- with headphones on or watching something on their phone, etc. I like to go in, be in my zone and do my thing and leave. I don't go to watch others, socialize, or meet anyone. Go, start with something you're comfortable with such as walking the treadmill or riding a stationary bike and make it a goal to do it for 30 minutes.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    What if what? Paying attention to your own thinking is an important part of weight loss.
    What’s your plan for when you get there?

Today is Sunday, is your gym open? Probably not many people. Might that help?

Can you put on your workout clothes at home, go to the gym, walk on the treadmill a bit, and leave? No locker room, no difficult machines. Just get in there to break the ice.
    Can you do something like that?

• Goal2Reach47
    88olds wrote: »
    What if what? Paying attention to your own thinking is an important part of weight loss.
    What’s your plan for when you get there?

Today is Sunday, is your gym open? Probably not many people. Might that help?

Can you put on your workout clothes at home, go to the gym, walk on the treadmill a bit, and leave? No locker room, no difficult machines. Just get in there to break the ice.
    Can you do something like that?

I didn't think of that...
  • Goal2Reach47
    I can pretty much guarantee that everyone at the gym is in their own world- with headphones on or watching something on their phone, etc. I like to go in, be in my zone and do my thing and leave. I don't go to watch others, socialize, or meet anyone. Go, start with something you're comfortable with such as walking the treadmill or riding a stationary bike and make it a goal to do it for 30 minutes.

That might work when I'm on a treadmill or a bike for a half hour to an hour lost in my favorite song it kind of feels like I'm the only one there and when I'm done with cardio I usually don't get too bothered by the people around me after that. I don't know may be a self conscious thing since summer is so close 😌
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    What if you go and it is AWESOME and you love it? the posters above have given some good suggestions to help ease your anxiety. I can almost guarantee nobody will give you a second look, when at the gym everyone is focused on themselves. I hope you give it a try!
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    people honestly don't care about you at the gym. we're all there doing our own thing and don't care one bit about anyone else. And you can bet that the vast majority of people there are all thinking the same thing re summer and also, not everyone at the gym is fit/thin/muscular.

At the gym I go to there is probably a 20% population of "thin/fit/muscular" and the rest are just people of various shapes and sizes going about their daily routine and moving around.
  • helene4
    helene4 Posts: 120 Member
    My gym goals have always been:
    show up and do something

I always leave the gym with that goal accomplished lol :)

Sometimes I’ve literally walked myself to the gym sat on a bike or did one exercise for 2minutes and left

I don’t judge myself

Some days I just don’t have it in me
    Other days now I run 5miles, lift heavy and love every second of it

The best thing is to meet yourself right where youre at and go from there

You belong in that gym just as much as anyone else

You are ready
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,463 Member
    Give yourself a break. Gym anxiety is fairly common. Break it down into tiny steps. Do what you have to do to get in there.

Are there certain things that make you anxious? Can you start out avoiding those parts?

Consider this- the anxiety is in your head. You are anxious because your brain is looking into the future and seeing something go bad. But that’s not real. But we can’t shut off our brains. Try visualization. Try to picture yourself at the gym and everything is ok. Picture yourself leaving feeling great that you did your workout. Try to replace the negative images with something good. It helps.

And as others have pointed out, dedicated gym regulars work in a bubble. They hardly know you are there. Work on building your bubble.
  • bionicpuffy
    bionicpuffy Posts: 93 Member
    Ditto what everyone else said about no one paying attention to others. I was going to add that wearing a baseball cap, so it is harder to see others and them to see you, can help with gym anxiety.
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    What if you arranged for one of the gym staff to show you around? Do you think that might help?
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    I'm trying to get started at my local gym. I have anxiety. Everytime I get ready to leave out a swirl of "what if" questions surround my mind and I wind up not going. How do I get passed this annoying barrier? 😬😓😨😰

what if what? What are the questions.
    Make a game plan of what you want to do, and what to expect.
    Execute the game plan.
    Focus on the game plan
    Bring in music.

• Goal2Reach47
    edited May 2019
    So I have some good news I just got home from the gym and after I had my music going I was in my own world 😁 and it was crowded I was a little intimidated at first by the amount of people but once I was in my workout I didn't care I did two full rotations and even signed up for Zumba classes can't wait to go back thanks for the advice everyone 😊
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    edited May 2019
    Edit because reading fail.