PCOS and metformin

Options
Anyone with PCOS on metformin? I was just prescribed this yesterday and am wondering how this has worked for you.

Replies

• Sweettart
    Sweettart Posts: 1,331 Member
    Options
    bump
  • mgmlap
    mgmlap Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS-on 1000 mg of metformin
    I have IR
    I have hypothyroidism-45mg of Armour
    and....adrenal fatigue

I watch my carbs and sugars..exercise regularly..and have lost almost 30 pounds--only 11 more for goal...
    Metformn can be troublesome ...it does give you bouts of diarrhea..I was on 1500...but doc put me down to 1000 cause of all the bathroom runs..

Totally helped with the weightloss...havent had any current blood tests to see how it doing with my glucose levels.but I am going to say its doing awesome..considering the amount of time it took me to lose the weight
  • zudleymarie
    zudleymarie Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Yep, there are a lot of us on here. Metformin totally helps. It really is a relief knowing that there is SOMETHING that can help us.
  • pocketfluff
    Options
    Thanks for the link. Side effects have not ben too bad since taking my frst dose last night, so hopefully won't become so. How long until you noticed weight loss?
  • KtB0605
    KtB0605 Posts: 5
    Options
    I've been on Metformin since 2003 for both PCOS and type II diabetes. I take 1000mg in the morning, 500 mg in the afternoon, and 1000mg at night. I've never experienced any bad symptoms but I do make sure to take my dose with food so it doesn't upset my stomach.

I haven't experienced weight loss on Metformin, but it did do a really good job in regulating my cycles that were all wonky due to the PCOS.

Good luck to you!
  • engrider18
    Options
    I am just starting to take 1500mg. I lost about 15 lbs fairly quickly when I first started taking it (1000 mg) but the side effects keep causing me to stop taking it. I'm trying to stay determined to keep on it this round since it does help.