Beginner runner

Options
I just started a program called From Fat To Finish Line, it’s a program that trains you to run a mile running intervals. The first week was running 30 seconds/walking 90 seconds. I just completed week 1. On other days you either rest/stretch or fit in strength training. I try to strength train atleast 2x a week. Just wondering if there are any other beginner runners out there or past runners looking to start again. Week 2 I’m supposed to run for a full minute. That is really taking me out of my comfort zone!! But I’m going to try!!

‘If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you’

Replies

• lybarni
    lybarni Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Looking for runners at any level
    For motivation and support!
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    congratulations. :smile:

there are a lot of beginner runners here
    i started with the c25k and 4 years later ran a marathon this spring.
  • lybarni
    Options
    Thanks! That’s awesome! I’m hoping that I can do a 5k by the fall.
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    lybarni wrote: »
    I just started a program called From Fat To Finish Line, it’s a program that trains you to run a mile running intervals. The first week was running 30 seconds/walking 90 seconds. I just completed week 1. On other days you either rest/stretch or fit in strength training. I try to strength train atleast 2x a week. Just wondering if there are any other beginner runners out there or past runners looking to start again. Week 2 I’m supposed to run for a full minute. That is really taking me out of my comfort zone!! But I’m going to try!!

‘If it doesn’t challenge you, it doesn’t change you’

So I was doing c2k for a bit, until it had me run from 2 min to 5 min in one shot. There was no way I could do it.
    So I increase my time of running by 10 seconds either everyday or every week.
    I started at 2 min and now I am at 3.40 min. I have never ran for 4 min for any given length of time.
  • sudmom
    sudmom Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Great that you are running! Consistancy is your friend when runing...the more you do it, the better you will get.
    Good luck!!
  • lybarni
    Options
    Thanks! I think with the smaller increases I will find the goals much more attainable!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,181 Member
    Options
    keep track of your accomplishments.
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    If you do a “couch to 5k” search on the forums you should be able to find the c25k group. There are lots of helpful sticky posts in that group pertaining to common injuries, strategies, etc. There is also an active thread for those who started in March 2019. Some restarted again recently. It’s a great place to encourage each other in the common goals even if not running the exact same program.
  • lybarni
    Options
    Thanks!!
  • lybarni
    Options
    I’m finding a lot of the couch to 5k forums have had no activity for some time.
  • zoedayan7
    zoedayan7 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting too.. And finding it hard going. Did 3 days last week but wimped out on day 1 this week. I AM going tomorrow morning. Honest!
  • funjen1972
    funjen1972 Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    Welcome to the club! 🏃🏽‍♂️🏃🏼‍♀️🏃🏿‍♂️🏃‍♀️🏃🏿‍♀️
  • fannydavis44
    fannydavis44 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Good for you! I wish I could run or even jog. I'm lucky to speed walk. My knees are destroyed! I have had 8 knee surgeries now and still need complete knee reconstruction. Keep it up!
  • lybarni
    edited May 2019
    Options
    z2hjr75dmuag.jpeg
    Zoedayan77 you can do this!! Even when you don’t feel like it! Make yourself! You’ll be amazed how good you feel when it’s over!

Funjen1972 thanks! I don’t know if I consider myself a ‘real ‘ runner yet but I’m trying hard to get there! Today I did my intervals at runfor 60 seconds/walk for 90. I did it! I was amazed! I’m sure next time will be easier!

[/fannydavis44b] I’m sorry to hear about your knees but, thanks for the vote of confidence! I need all the boosts I can get!
  • laceygaywilson
    laceygaywilson Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    YEEEEEEES!!! I started running last summer with a couch to 5k!! Stopped in the winter and just went back at it about 2 months ago!! I can run 3 miles now!! 33:25 is my best time and it was RAINING!!! push through and you will feel like a million bucks!!! ITS WORTH IT Y'ALL!!!
  • emmamcgarity
    emmamcgarity Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    lybarni wrote: »
    I’m finding a lot of the couch to 5k forums have had no activity for some time.

There is one active thread where a few are still restarting c25k. I just tagged you in it in hopes you’ll update us in both places. I also found the sticky threads in that forum regarding common injuries very informative
  • zoedayan7
    zoedayan7 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone 👍. I did go this morning 😊
  • lybarni
    Options
    @Commander_Keen thanks for replyingg to me way back when... 9 days ago! I’ve been in a slump. Trying not to get drowned in negative thoughts. But I did my monthly measurements and everything is heading in the right direction so I guess I’m doing ok. I like your way of adding small increments to your times. Kudos to you for running past 3 minutes! Great job! Sorry for the delay.
  • lybarni
    Options
    @zoedayan7 so it’s been like 9 days since I’ve been back here. I’ve been in a slump finally finding my way out. How are you doing?
  • lybarni
    Options
    @laceygaywilson who hoo!! For you 9 days too
    Late but better now than never! You’re an inspiration that maybe I can do this after all.