Should I be worried sudden increase in white long hair on my face? I'm 26

Options
AutumLeaf
AutumLeaf Posts: 126 Member
edited April 2019 in Health and Weight Loss
Hello :)

I know having random long white hairs is completely normal & I don't panic when I get them.

However recently I've noticed a sudden increase. I've gone from having one or two now & again but recently it seems it's on a daily basis now. My face also seems fluffier than usual too.

I read somewhere it can be a sign of pre-menapause :|. I last had a blood test in Jan for something else & my blood were normal.

I find GPs don't take young adults seriously so feel too embarrassed to ask my GP. I don't want to come across as a hypochondriac.

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    Do you eat enough meat/protein? It sounds like you're deficient. I don't think a doctor would dismiss your concerns at all -- go see your doctor. :)
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    First question is are you underweight or at a very low BMI?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Annie_01 wrote: »
    I prefer to be hairless, I would shave that.

Shaving it will leave a stubble just like on a man's face. She would be better off using tweezers and plucking it.

If she is growing hair so profusely that she is going to get a 12 o clock shadow then she should see a doctor, that does not sound right at all, especially because it is a white hair.

My sister had the same problem and she shaved. She did end up with that 12 o'clock shadow. Your face is covered with fine hair and shaving it causes it grow back leaving you with stubble.

Yes I agree she should talk to her doctor. My sister's was caused by a hormone imbalance that was left untreated.
  • AutumLeaf
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses :) I have IBS & a big list of food intolerances. After begging my GP for literal years (she once told me to go see a nurse who just told me to look on Google :|) she said she'll look into referring me to a dietitian. I think because my bloods are fine she hasnt been taking me seriously.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I feel for you, my sensitivities were nothing like as bad as you are experiencing. Its nigh on impossible to find a gp who tries to understand and better yet knows enough to really help. I found a non paper book, "Food can make you ill" by Sharla Race interesting, she goes into great detail about natural chemicals which can upset our systems. I hope it is still available. Your diagnosis of IBS even without intolerances could leave you exposed to dietary deficiencies.

I have no idea which continent you are on, so it is difficult to make suggestions other than very general ones. In the UK we have BANT Registration for Nutritionists which follows a functional approach to health problems, using blood tests/urine/stool more in depth than a generalist doctor would consider useful. If you can please find someone who can take a functional aproach to your health. I was helped by someone with this qualification.

From personal experience I know having used antibiotics heavily in my 1950's childhood and not so much into adult hood left my digestive biome much the worse for wear. Here in the UK we have access to current scientific information on several media services, which refers to our gut microbiome more than in many other countries. I found digestive microbes, pre and pro biotics helpful, they have contributed to my reduced chemical sensitivity.

Histamine Intolerance can also be an issue, I have seen this mentioned in relation to IBS, some of us are more sensitive to foods as they "decompose", needing foods to be the freshest, our bodies are just that bit more sensitive. I have seen two prebiotic brands which exclude histamine promoting microbes.

If you can find a functional practitioner to under take testing to identify other contributory factors to your IBS you may find digestive enzymes helpful, the ranges can cover, I think, every protein source which someone can be intolerant of. There are enzymes to combat lactose intolerance, the sugar found in milk the required enzyme is lactase. Any protrated disruption in your ability to absorb your dietary nutrients can cause enzyme deficiencies.

I hope i have given you some food for thought. You must do what is right for yourself, I homed in on your IBS which I hope you can achieve long lsting relief from. Wishing you all the very best.
  • peggy_polenta
    peggy_polenta Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    could it be lanugo? how much are you eating? https://www.healthline.com/health/lanugo
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    could it be lanugo? how much are you eating? https://www.healthline.com/health/lanugo

That is why I ask about being underweight.
  • Maxxitt
    Maxxitt Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    Facial hair growth in young women is often related to endocrine problems. See your GP.
  • AutumLeaf
    Options
    I have an appointment with my GP next week & I hope she has some news re a dietician.