Confession: I'm Afraid

Options
I have just started, and like many people here I've tried losing weight many times before. I'm worried that I'll weigh in and measure in and find no results. In fact, I worry that I might gain more in muscle than I lose in fat. I'm also afraid that when classes start up again and my schedule gets intense once more between work, school, homework, clinic hours, and internship I will give up the fight once again.

I don't know what I'm asking for, but I'm really afraid right now and I know I'm not alone.

Replies

• ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Gather some MFP Friends who have similar goals and can offer encouragement and advice!
    I've found this to be the largest contributor to my current success.
    Find them by posting what your goals are and how you are working towards those goals!
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    Welcome! :flowerforyou:

There's so much good information to be found here and a lot of knowledgable and motivating people to help you. :drinker:

Stick to your plan and drink your water and you'll do great!

Good luck! :drinker:
  • routerguy666
    Options
    You'd be very lucky to gain 10-12 pounds of muscle over the course of a year via very intense strength training, so I wouldn't worry too much about that. You could lose that much fat in a tenth of the time.

Don't worry, just stick to it and things will happen for you.
  • DawnyB1210
    Options
    Welcome..You are embarking on a life changing journey and change is scarey..but you are definitely not alone. You've come to a great place! Just put one foot in front of the other and you will be surprised how far you will get. Add me as a friend if you'd like!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I have just started, and like many people here I've tried losing weight many times before. I'm worried that I'll weigh in and measure in and find no results. In fact, I worry that I might gain more in muscle than I lose in fat. I'm also afraid that when classes start up again and my schedule gets intense once more between work, school, homework, clinic hours, and internship I will give up the fight once again.

I don't know what I'm asking for, but I'm really afraid right now and I know I'm not alone.

Embarking on a plan to eat healthier and exercise more will never result in failure. You'll see progress on the scale - maybe not at the rate you hoped for - but you will see it. Take your measurements as they are a better indicator of your progress.

It takes a long time to gain muscle. While you are losing weight your aim is lose as little muscle as possible while you are losing fat. Losing weight slowly is the best way to maintain muscle.

Eat well and eat enough. Remember that MFP builds a deficit into your calorie goals so when you exercise you get to eat more to refuel your body after hard work! YAY!!

Be kind to yourself because eating right and exercising is an achievement in itself.

:flowerforyou:
  • Kerry0785
    Kerry0785 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just take things one day at a time. That is what I am doing. If I think too far ahead at all the weight I want to lose I get overwhelmed. I take things one day at a time, sometimes one meal at a time. I will be tempted and get through that temptation and move on. I did that this week and lost 4 pounds. If you cheat and dont lose weight - oh well - just wake up the next day to a brand new day and take it a day at a time once again. You will do great!! :smile:
  • louiseajm
    Options
    Don't just think about the actual weight loss, I'm finding lots of little successes such as feeling healthier, being able to exercise more and clothes looking a bit better. And each of those little things helps to motivate me.
  • IMYarnCraz33
    IMYarnCraz33 Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Just take things one day at a time. That is what I am doing. If I think too far ahead at all the weight I want to lose I get overwhelmed. I take things one day at a time, sometimes one meal at a time. I will be tempted and get through that temptation and move on. I did that this week and lost 4 pounds. If you cheat and dont lose weight - oh well - just wake up the next day to a brand new day and take it a day at a time once again. You will do great!! :smile:

^this^
    As my mom used to say, if you plan on eating an elephant you can't do it all in one bite.
    one day at a time. You CAN do it!! and there are many helpful, supportive & encouraging people here. =)
    Besides, you only fail if you stop trying.
  • MadDogTannen22
    MadDogTannen22 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Those were some of the fears I had as well, and there are weeks that I haven't lost any weight, and other weeks whee I lose more than 2 pounds, so who knows, everybody's body is different. But what I do kow is that the scale says I lost 15 pounds, and I am already noticing how different clothes fit, how I feel, and compliments I am getting.

Also, as a woman, there is absolutely no way you will gain more in muscle than lose in fat unless you are taking steroids. There is no way. Keep with the weight training because it will help turn you toned instead on flabby, and if you want bulky muscles, you will definitely have to work for them. :smile:

I agree, get some MFP friends, go online daily, log everything (food and exercise) and you cannot go wrong!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Once you learn how hard women have to struggle to gain the smallest bit of muscle, the sheer effort and dedication involved, you may end up feeling a bit silly for being scared of building muscle you don't want. :smile:

Meanwhile, just eat the calories that this site recommends, weigh / measure your foods, get a bit of exercise, stay off the junk food and you'll see results.

Really, it seems like a huge step, but it's not rocket science, you CAN do this and you'll be amazed at the results.

Best of luck and make loads of friends on here, it does make a huge difference on bad days.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    As my mom used to say, if you plan on eating an elephant
    Great advice, but probably best not to actually eat an elephant at this point... :bigsmile:
  • kapeluza
    kapeluza Posts: 3,434 Member
    Options
    stick with me kiddo.... i'll support you. =)
  • curryinahurry
    curryinahurry Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I WAS AFRAID LAST WEEK WHEN I JOINED THIS SITE, MY POST WAS CALLED NEW AND NERVOUS!

NOW I HAVE CUT SOME CALORIES OUT AND HIT THE GYM 3 DAYS A WEEK (BEEN GOING TO THE GYM FOR A MONTH BUT STARTING CUTTING CALORIES THIS WEEK)

AND GUESS WHAT I LOST 4 POUNDS

NOT I AM NOT AFRAID OR NERVOUS I AM SOOOOOOOO HAPPY AND READY TO KEEP IT UP.

ADD ME AS A FRIEND AND WE CAN KIT.
  • SageGoddess320
    SageGoddess320 Posts: 2,589 Member
    Options
    Don't let fear stand in the way of getting what you want!
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    just think at how great you feel when you can use exercise as an outlet for school stress, and when your clothes are too lose and you need to go shopping for new clothes, and how much more energy you'll have because you are eating healthy and being active...

don't think about the hard stuff (it IS hard, dont get me wrong, if it wasn't everyone would be thin), but think about the REWARDS! Trust me, after a few weeks of seeing results you'll be hooked!
  • ishapeme
    ishapeme Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Hey Buddy,

As you know I’ve just gone through all that. Luckily it was only one bad day. But beleive it or not, you texting me this morning was really great encouragement. It reminded me that this was a goal I relaly wantd to reach. That when I weigh in tomorrow, I’m going to be soo glad I sucked it up and worked out today. Anyway, just letting you know that it helped and I’m definitely going to keep check on you. P.s. how was kickboxing?
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    It can all seem very overwhelming, i understand completely. My opionin is to take one step at a time. Focus on your eating first....log,log,log. find out what you are actually consuming and work on changing those habits, making better choices, and portion control. Once you feel comfortable with that then add in the exercise. This approach really helped me feel like i was focusing on the goal better than trying to "figure out" too much at once.
  • Delyla07
    Delyla07 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Even if you gain some weight because you build mucles you can still loose inches. Muscle weighs more than fat so you might not be loosing weight but your toning up!! If you want some support feel free to add me!
  • Amber393
    Amber393 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    If everything we ever wanted from ourselves was easy a lot more of us would be doing it.

It's normal to be afraid and overwhelmed. It's part of who we are as individuals. At the same time though we can't ever let that fear control us. If we do then we will always be in the mindset of "can't do, can't do, can't do". But here's the thing we can do! It's not always easy or fun but you've got a lot of people who are rooting for you and are willing to help support you and when you think you can't take another step or log another day then we can be here to remind you of why you're so very important and why it is important to be taking care of who you are and why you want to be fit and fabulous.

You're a beautiful strong woman and you can do this. I believe in you. We believe in you.

If you ever need us all ya gotta do is shout or well type it out..

Love ya!

Amber
  • nomerebutterfly
    nomerebutterfly Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Hey Buddy,

As you know I’ve just gone through all that. Luckily it was only one bad day. But beleive it or not, you texting me this morning was really great encouragement. It reminded me that this was a goal I relaly wantd to reach. That when I weigh in tomorrow, I’m going to be soo glad I sucked it up and worked out today. Anyway, just letting you know that it helped and I’m definitely going to keep check on you. P.s. how was kickboxing?

Aww. That's really nice to know, buddy. :) I'm like getting all emotional over here.

Thank you everyone for your encouragement and reality checks. :)