Sports Bra Suggestion?

Options
Hey ladies! I need suggestions for a higher support sports bra for breastfeeding women. I've always worn champion brand but jumping from an XS to an XL during back to back pregnancies and the girls are suffering.

In champion, the solid strap racerback in an XL has my 5 month postpartum tatas going in all directions during cardio. But the Large rolls up underneath and the top is cut too low.

I prefer pullover, no underwire for sports bras.

Anybody have any advice (besides "tape the milkbags down" 😂)

Also, it does NOT need to be a nursing bra as it will only be worn during workouts.

Replies

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    edited May 2019
    Options
    Potentially a little pricey, but I really like Pink Sports Bras at Victoria Secret - some of them are silly, but there are a few heavier duty ones that are nice - great staying power while also allowing your boobs to look like boobs instead of smashed hills. If you don't mind the smashed boob-hill look, Under Armour sports bras work well for me also.

ETA: I love your username @CaffieneAndChaos
  • kdbulger
    kdbulger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Brooks "Juno". It is pullover but still has hooks at the back. It also has straps that adjust with velcro at the front, so you can undo and breastfeed without taking the whole bra out. I have a larger chest and was also breastfeeding for a long time, and this bra was perfection and high-impact enough for running.
  • apullum
    apullum Posts: 4,838 Member
    Options
    Sports bras work in three different ways: compression or encapsulation, or a combination of the two. "Compression" means they hold the boobs down, while "encapsulation" means they put each boob into a well-fitted cup that keeps it from moving around, similar to how a normal bra fits. Combination bras have individual cups that also provide a little compression.

Pullover style bras are usually compression bras. If you are experiencing any breast tenderness, you may want to try an encapsulation bra instead, since these usually fit more like a normal bra. In addition, the individual cups in an encapsulation bra should help prevent any sideways movement.

High support bras are usually encapsulation or combination style. Depending on your activity and body shape, it may be difficult to find a compression bra that provides enough support for you. The best compression bras I have tried were Brooks, but as a runner, I vastly prefer Panache. It is an encapsulation bra designed for larger cup sizes and comes in both wired and non-wired styles.

The downside to Panache sports bras is the price. I think it's worth investing in a good sports bra, but if you expect your breast size to change quickly, you may not want to spend as much money. I've had luck finding their bras a bit cheaper on Amazon, especially if you don't care what color you get.