Best advice

Options
After a long journey, I’m close to my goal weight. In thinking about maintenance, I’m curious what others have found to be the hardest part or what is different than they thought would be.

Replies

• lalalacroix
    lalalacroix Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    Good question. I'm also getting somewhat close and have been thinking about maintenance as well. I'm hoping there will be more replies.
  • SummerSkier
    SummerSkier Posts: 4,787 Member
    Options
    One thing I recommend is to read here. Just read and watch. Read the stickied threads because they have a lot of good information in them. Go over all your personal stats and make a plan for the first month, the first 3 months, the first year etc. Have alternate plans in case life gets in the way. And lastly try to ENJOY yourself and celebrate your accomplishments vs beating yourself up over any mistakes or poor decisions you might make for one meal or one day. Learn to accept all the flaws you STILL have (as do all of us).
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    Paying attention. It's just like losing with more calories.
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    I don’t have any advice and didn’t do so well at maintenance my first time around (gained about 1/3 of the weight back) but I have observed how important maintenance is. Two former co-workers lost significant amounts of weight and kept it off for several years...but now they have both gained all of it back.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    the hardest part is realizing this is a life style. Or it is a diet, anyway I feel like I have to be on a diet for rest of my life, cant eat like I would like to. Sad but true, best part fitting in clothes
  • jrwms714
    jrwms714 Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    So many good things said here ... for me, maintenance hasn't been all that difficult because, as others have said, it's just the same lifestyle with a few more calories. The good habits are in place after 4.5 years, and the bad ones crop up now and then, but certainly not as frequently as before. What has helped me a lot is using a trending scale like Happy Scale, establishing both a weight range, and a scream weight that works with that. And yes, vigilance. I watch the scale, but I also watch how much I eat. I have a treat almost daily, but just a treat. Like @w8goal4life says (above), have what you want, but don't let it morph into something that is more negative or unhealthy, and backslides you so that you feel badly about it or guilty when or if you gain. Mostly I now feel uncomfortable when I eat something that is too rich or too much; my body just is not used to that any more. The rewards in maintenance are different than the rewards in losing, but they are greater, to me: good health, a feeling of being in control, and a constant pat on the back when the clothes you had last year and the year before and the year before still fit as the seasons change!!! Above all, don't worry about maintenance. This is a journey and like any journey, there can be bumps in the road, but look around as you take the path, and know that there is no set destiny ... it's the same road, just easier than when you started out.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    To me maintenance is the same as cutting. I still weigh and log my food. I still weigh myself every day.

I am having a hard time hitting my calorie goal because I'm full long before my calories run out. So I go with intuitive eating too, knowing that on my husband's days off it will balance out.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    jrwms714 wrote: »
    So many good things said here ... for me, maintenance hasn't been all that difficult because, as others have said, it's just the same lifestyle with a few more calories. The good habits are in place after 4.5 years, and the bad ones crop up now and then, but certainly not as frequently as before. What has helped me a lot is using a trending scale like Happy Scale, establishing both a weight range, and a scream weight that works with that. And yes, vigilance. I watch the scale, but I also watch how much I eat. I have a treat almost daily, but just a treat. Like @w8goal4life says (above), have what you want, but don't let it morph into something that is more negative or unhealthy, and backslides you so that you feel badly about it or guilty when or if you gain. Mostly I now feel uncomfortable when I eat something that is too rich or too much; my body just is not used to that any more. The rewards in maintenance are different than the rewards in losing, but they are greater, to me: good health, a feeling of being in control, and a constant pat on the back when the clothes you had last year and the year before and the year before still fit as the seasons change!!! Above all, don't worry about maintenance. This is a journey and like any journey, there can be bumps in the road, but look around as you take the path, and know that there is no set destiny ... it's the same road, just easier than when you started out.

Agreed. I never thought there would be a day when I would find some foods too sweet for me to enjoy anymore. That or a few mouthfuls is more than enough.
  • Addictead
    Addictead Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    You're going to be losing and gaining weight, Even taking out fluctuations there are going to be times you will gain/lose real fat either on purpose or by accident. I really didn't expect that but a lot of long term maintainers have said this and it makes me feel a little more at ease to be honest
  • rheddmobile
    rheddmobile Posts: 6,840 Member
    Options
    Maintenance became easier when I accepted that I could never go back to "normal" eating. In other words I had to make permanent changes. I still log every day and weigh weekly without fail. If I'm up I cut back no excuses. I miss the lift I got when I saw the scale go down but I am working on other fitness goals like lifting weight or walking up hills or for longer amounts of time. It's a lifetime process but soooo worth it.

This - if you, like me, are the kind of person who functions better when working towards a goal, then set some new fitness-related goals once you hit maintenance. Mine are running-related, and weight-lifting related, but I also have some recomp goals (‘I want my lower belly to tighten up enough to look good in that bodycon dress...’) and some social goals (‘Instead of going out to eat with my friends all the time, I want to go out to do something fun!’)