Happy Hour

Hi MFP Pals,
My friend wants me to go to happy hour with her. Now usually, I would have gotten a rum & diet coke, but I stopped drinking soda (or POP as most people outside of St. Louis, MO call it).
I have no idea what to drink! I used to be the one who would get the sweet drinks - like a fuzzy navel or a mudslide. I don't like anything too strong, but I definitely don't want to sabotage my progress or go over my numbers.
Any suggestions other than water or iced tea?
Thanks!!!

Replies

• hardatwork45
    hardatwork45 Posts: 80 Member
    good question, I hope someone can answer this, the only time I drink is when I go to applebees and get the skinny margaritas that are 100 calories and they are delicious.
  • ydeleon
    ydeleon Posts: 81
    Wine? Maybe, gin or vodka with tonic or seltzer. If you go that route, make sure it's a good quality gin or vodka.
  • shelbygeorge29
    shelbygeorge29 Posts: 263 Member
    Wine? Maybe, gin or vodka with tonic or seltzer. If you go that route, make sure it's a good quality gin or vodka.

Stay away from the tonic, it's very close to soda. Vodka and seltzer is the very lightest calorie wise. Wine isn't bad either. The 64 and 55 calorie beers are close to being alcohol free, but if you wanted to be part of the gang and drink a couple they are a good option. (Alcohol is mainly sugar, so when they take the calories out, they take out the alcohol.)

To catch a buzz, vodka and seltzer is the way to go. Depends on what you're after, I'm usually after the buzz!
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Good Vodka like Goose, Belv and Chop have been distilled 5 times. Abs has been distilled 3X and Smirn 2X. The more an alcohol is distilled the fewer adjuncts there are in it. It is the adjucts that give you the hang over.

Wiskey, Bourbon and are distilled clear. It is the barrel that it is aged in that creates the color. The changing temputures of the seasons expand and contract the barrel pulling in the alcohol and releasing it. This brings the color to the alcohol and.....your hangover.

You get what you pay for in alcohol. High end Vodka and Tequila (Blanco or Silver only) are the only pure alcohols.
  • Aross83
    Aross83 Posts: 936 Member
    I would stick with the rum and diet coke.. thats the only time i have it is in a rum and diet coke.. a couple cokes wont matter here and there...
  • creickson
    creickson Posts: 14 Member
    3 oz of ice tea (unsweetened or artificial sweetener), 3 oz. of lemonade (artificially sweetened) and 1 oz of vodka. Great summertime happy hour drink.
  • Thanks everyone!
  • hardatwork45
    hardatwork45 Posts: 80 Member
    so what did you end up getting