130 down and 130 back up

Options
Hey there! My name is Amber. I was at my highest weight of 320 about 5 years ago. I decided to undergo bariatric surgery, the sleeve to be exact. I was successful with my weightloss and fitness journey, which lead me to losing 130+ pounds.
After settling down and the death of a sibling, i stopped paying attention. I also obtained a career that is sedentary rather than active. The combination of it all steered me back to my old eating habits and avoiding the gym.
So here I am! I am going back to keeping a food journal and logging my exercise. I like the accountability that comes with sharing in community forums. It's also a boost of motivation to talk with other people fighting the same battle or whom have already overcome that obstacle.
Please add me as a friend if you would like to! The more the merrier :smiley:

Replies

• brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    glad you are back, it happens to a lot of people, you can do it again.
  • myersmeganl10
    myersmeganl10 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Welcome back!
  • fandslock22
    fandslock22 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Welcome back... I have gained back about 50 lbs as well. So glad we can support each other. We Can Do This!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 40,239 Member
    Options
    Hi Amber ...Welcome back....I have been on and off of here since 2009...I lost 78 lbs only to gain it all back and then some .....Here I am trying to lose over 100 lbs....so far I have lost 18 since March....We got this.....Feel free to add me would love to cheer you on while you are on your journey :)
  • ambywams328
    ambywams328 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    This summer is the summer I'm going to sweat all this off! Come hell or high water! Thanks everyone!
  • sarahhinkle20
    sarahhinkle20 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I'm pretty new here too. I am curious but you can only answer these questions if you feel comfortable: what did it feel like to lose the weight and then gain it back? Did you get to enjoy your time as a lighter person at all, or was your life too stressful because of the death of your sibling and your job change? Were you scared when you realized that you were starting to lose your motivation to continue working out and eating the way you needed to?
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Good luck! I've been up and down over the years, not quite as big a swing as you but I've been near 300 and as low as 200 since I turned 20. My goal heading into 40 is to get back down to 200 or less if I can. I'm 45 lbs in now and have a year to lose the next 65.
  • ambywams328
    Options
    To lose the weight felt like every day was getting better and I was able to participate more in what life had to offer. At my largest, going up the steps in my home felt like an unfortunate task. I kept the weight off for two years, and after a year of that I found the love of my life. Settling down was a goal. I found my best friend and set roots.

Gaining it back was noticeable at first, but I managed because I still had clothes from throughout my weight loss journey. I eventually felt like I let myself down, which I kind of did. I worked two jobs so I ate more out of convenience rather than taking the time to note the nutritional value of what I put in my body like before. I also didn't make the time to attend a gym. All my free time went into my home and family. When the loss of my brother came, I was up about 60-70 pounds. I had cut back on work and was going to the gym again.

I moved back home to support my mother through her depression. I didn't realize I was struggling with my own. That's when the spiral came and I gained more weight. It was hard to get out of bed. BUT, time does heal wounds. I removed myself from an industry that didn't promote self care and found something I enjoy so much more. I am taking the experience of unpredictable grief and turning that into my motivation. The only fear I have is that, because of my weight, I won't be able to live life to my full potential. I see all the things I want to do, but have restricted myself for instant gratification of comfort food. Everyone deals with stress and complications differently. I'm teaching myself how to direct that energy into a more productive lifestyle.
  • ambywams328
    Options
    Travis- We can always discuss tips and experiences to help motivate each other. A year for that weight loss sounds like a great realistic goal. I'm happy you are moving in the right direction.
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Hi there, welcome! I had the surgery this past December. Best of luck in your journey. :)
  • ambywams328
    Options
    It was one of the best decisions I have ever made!
  • anl90
    anl90 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    It was one of the best decisions I have ever made!

I agree! Although, some days I do have regret. But overall I am happy I did it.
  • ambywams328
    Options
    @anl90 I had my hardships with emotions for the first year. I felt restricted. It gets better with time after creating new and healthier habits.
  • seanusa
    seanusa Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Find something you’re passionate about and purposeful about and it can help you focus.