IF vs small meals throughout the day vs any diet

Options
I've done IF for about a week (fasting everyday until 7pm eating dinner and maybe a small snack before 9pm coffee in the morning with small sips of water throughout the day) and it leaves me starving. By this past sunday I ate so much I went over my limits all except the protien. I'm trying to lose the weight I gained after having my youngest daughter (its been a year since she was born & she's my 3rd child). Every type of diet I've tried nothing shifts the scale down only up...
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if my body is determined to stay fat. Please share your diets or things you have done that worked with losing the weight.

Replies

• missysippy930
    missysippy930 Posts: 2,577 Member
    Options
    Any reason you are doing IF? If not, why not try several small meals/ snacks throughout the day. It will probably help your ravenous feeling. As long as you are staying in a calorie deficit, timing of meals is a personal preference, and doesn’t affect weight loss.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify...you only eat one meal a day at dinner? If that is the case...

What is your window for eating? Are you doing a OMAD(one meal a day) type fast?

One of the easiest IF schedules is 16:8 or 18:6. That means that you are only skipping one meal a day such as breakfast. It still leaves time for two meals and at least one snack.

Just to add...there is some talk about women that are still at the childbearing stage about doing a window smaller than 8 hours. There is not concrete evidence of this that I have read...just precautionary.

I eat between 11am-7pm. I eat brunch, an afternoon snack, dinner and sometimes a dessert afterwards if I am still hungry. It has helped with staying in a calorie deficit.

Just set your hours that works around your schedule. IF is not a magic solution though you still have to work within your allowance. There are days even within an eight hour window that I could eat a ton of calories.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    The key is to figure out what works best for you. IF works well for some people and not for others (although there are less extreme ways to do it than you are currently doing). Same thing with 6 small meals, 3 square meals, etc. There is no special powers to any specific way of eating, so it all boils down to personal preference. I usually find myself eating 4-5 meals most days, because I do better with eating every few hours. But on weekends I am likely to eat less, sometimes as few as 2. It really just depends.

Weight loss comes down to a calorie deficit. Nothing more, nothing less. Sometimes adding things like IF or six meals or anything else can help a person, other times it can make it more complicated.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Options
    we should do what works for us.

if your goal is weight loss, then you need to eat at a calorie deficit regularly over time. For some people, they find a smaller eating window (IF) helps them to stay within calorie goals more easily. For me, eating more often but smaller meals and snacks works best.

There is not ONE solution that works for everyone. what works great for one person may be horrible to another. there is no magical time of eating that will increase or decrease weight loss.

dito any fancy diet. keto, low carb, whole30. none are magical. you lose weight by eating fewer calories than you burn daily over time. for SOME people eating keto or low carb helps them stick to their calories more easily. others need carbs to feel full.

Also, the most successful people chose something closer to a routine they can keep FOREVER not just during loss phase. And chosing a plan that keeps them full and happy and isn't terribly hard to stick to is better - because weight loss is a long journey and few people cna white knuckle a super restrictive diet that isn't suited for them for very long.
  • jjaysgirl13
    jjaysgirl13 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm doing such an extreme version of IF because if I eat breakfast I will eat all day long. I will catch myself in fridge or pantry every 30 minutes. If I skip breakfast and eat lunch, I will eat a large lunch and within an hour I will have eaten the double amount of snacks and then eat a very large dinner, plus snacks afterwards. I limit myself to a 2.5 hour window for food because that way I don't over indulge myself. I've struggled with my weight for years, always obese accordding to the doctors anyway. Plus the majority of my family memebers are 300+ lbs. As of right now I'm 201 lbs and disgusted with myself. I have to eat at least once a day or I will get sick. I have yet to figure out how to control my eating habits so this extreme form of IF is the best way I know how to control it.
  • Annie_01
    Options
    By your own admission though this way is leaving you starving and that you get so hungry that eventually you overeat.

I understand your frustration but can you eat this way the rest of your life? You have to get it under control before you have a chance of losing the weight and keeping it off.

What calorie limit have you set yourself for?
  • jjaysgirl13
    Options
    The calorie limit it set up for me is 1280. So far I've been below that amount (at least until this past Sunday).

As long as I stay distracted I can ignore the hunger pains. It's not until I sit down and relax for a moment that I realize that my stomach is nibbling at my backbone.

I spend a lot of my time chasing after my 3 year old son and my 1 year old daughter, cleaning up, feeding the children/animals, tending to my garden, and around 5 o'clock I start preparing the food for dinner so it's hot and ready by 6:30 when my husband gets home from work. If I stop and sit for a moment that's when I notice how hungry I am.

I really just want the weight gone and I believe that if I can get this under control I could eat like this for the rest of my life.

• jjaysgirl13
    Options
    Maybe it's wishful thinking that I can lose any of this weight...
    As I said the majority of my family is 300+ lbs. So maybe my DNA has determined I'll be the size of a house by the time I'm 40
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options
    The calorie limit it set up for me is 1280. So far I've been below that amount (at least until this past Sunday).

As long as I stay distracted I can ignore the hunger pains. It's not until I sit down and relax for a moment that I realize that my stomach is nibbling at my backbone.

I spend a lot of my time chasing after my 3 year old son and my 1 year old daughter, cleaning up, feeding the children/animals, tending to my garden, and around 5 o'clock I start preparing the food for dinner so it's hot and ready by 6:30 when my husband gets home from work. If I stop and sit for a moment that's when I notice how hungry I am.

I really just want the weight gone and I believe that if I can get this under control I could eat like this for the rest of my life.

It's not unusual for people to choose the most aggressive weekly weight loss goal. I suspect this is what you've done. Plus you're under-eating that goal. Plus, you sound pretty active and I'm guessing your settings don't reflect that. All of those things are going to create out-of-control hunger, resulting in a restrict/binge cycle.

The solution is to realize that your weight management is going to be a life-long process and approach it with more moderation. Choose a goal of 1 lb/week and adjust your settings to lightly active. If/when you do any purposeful exercise, log that and eat a portion of those calories back too. Some people do find it easier to skip breakfast, but if it creates insatiable hunger for you the rest of the day, it may not be a good idea for you. Eat to your full calorie limit, and pay close attention to how various foods satisfy you (or don't) and make adjustments accordingly. We all want the weight gone yesterday, but would you rather lose 20 lbs in a year and keep it off, 50 lbs and quickly regain it, or nothing at all because you restrict too much and it drives you to binge?

You can do this, but you need to take a deep breath and have a long-range view :)
  • Annie_01
    Options
    Maybe it's wishful thinking that I can lose any of this weight...
    As I said the majority of my family is 300+ lbs. So maybe my DNA has determined I'll be the size of a house by the time I'm 40

I doubt that but it will take a bit of work relearning portion sizes. You are only destined to be 300+ if you allow that to happen. I am 66 and after all these years I am relearning to eat to the size that I want to be for what time I have left on this earth. I have gradually changed what I eat...what to leave off...foods that will keep me full...foods that leave me still hungry.

If I let myself I would eat all day long (have done that). I don't have a set calorie limit. I eat anywhere from 1200 to 1600 calories. My maintenance presently is 1850. The 1600 is my maintenance at goal weight so even if I eat up to 1600 I am still at a deficit. 1600 gives me 1/2 lb, 1200 gives me a 1.5lb loss and 1450 gives me a 1lb loss. So as long as I stay in that range I am losing weight. This might not work for you but it took some of the pressure off of me if I needed something else to eat I was still losing weight. It has all averaged out to where I am losing slightly over a pound each week.

On foods that I have a tendency to binge on(eat until there is not even crumbs left) I leave at the grocery store. I replaced them with fruits, cups of yogurt, roasted vegetables in other words...foods that I like but don't necessarily want to overeat on. I still have sweet treats on occasion but they have to be ones that I make. I don't eat them often because...well...it takes work and dirties the kitchen. I am lazy!

I wish you good luck and hope that you find a way that works for you besides starving yourself.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    I'd start by trying to find a way where you feel more control. I'd get a calorie target based on 1 lb/week and lightly active (with 3 kids surely you are somewhat active, and you can add in more intentional movement during the day too).

Then I'd start by thinking about easy meals that seem filling -- often protein and fiber are filling for people -- as well as tasty, and log. Maybe start with a planned schedule like 3 meals a day. If you want to eat before the next meal, have some raw veg or a pickle or something else low cal (and log it!) or some coffee/tea/water or start thinking about the plan for your next meal. Or have some specific things planned to take your mind off it, reminding yourself that mealtime is inherently not that far away. I used to journal when I felt like eating about what I was thinking or my plan for the day, as that helped me get more mindful.

Personally, I found simply logging really helped with mindfulness and feeling more control over my eating choices initially.

As you log, you can find out if there are specific foods or ways of eating that make things harder or easier. Try playing around with carb # or vegetable servings or protein to see what is helpful. Try adding in a planned snack if there is a time you are always hungry. For me the not snacking worked because I stopped thinking about eating between meals, but you may be hungry more often and want more lower cal meals. One thing that might help is that very few people who get obese and don't easily lose after childbirth and so on can really just decide "I will eat less today" and do it -- there are longstanding habits and very often structure really helps. It's like grabbing a bag of chips and eating out of the bag to when you feel like stopping and then beating yourself up because you don't stop eating after 100 cal. It's nice to have intuitive eating as a goal, but it's not something many can just jump into or even ever do--I can mindfully eat and maintain, but that's not intuitive, it requires thought and some structure.

Another thing I found helpful was making sure I had clear goals (not just weight loss), so I could remember why I was doing it when tempted to say why bother or frustrated I wasn't losing as quickly as desired. I wrote down my ultimate goal and thought about a reasonable (not super quick) time frame and realized how fast time passes. Then I planned some weekly and monthly goals (for me usually exercise/race type things, as well as habit-related goals and basic things like sticking to my calories/logging).

Just some ideas, take any that seem helpful.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    OP - you sound frustrated. No ones DNA makes them destined to be overweight. As they say, genes load the gun, but your lifestyle pulls the trigger.

There is ZERO magic to meal timing for weight loss. If IF helps you stay in a deficit, great. I can skip breakfast, but beyond that, get way too hungry and overeat.

Keep trying different things. But don’t give up. Lots and lots of vegetables will be your friend.
  • shiragatama
    shiragatama Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I will tell you right now that what you're doing is going to lead to a terrible binge/restrict cycle, stalled weight loss, and lots of unnecessary strife. Most dieters, when they start, immediately go into severe caloric restriction, usually too low for them. The fact that you said you're eating /less/ than 1280 calories a day is alarming; all you're doing is setting yourself up for muscle loss (becoming skinnyfat), drastically reduced metabolism, and if your weight loss stops, you won't be able to go any lower. If you're even a little overweight, you can probably lose on a lot more calories than that. Why starve yourself when you can lose weight just fine when eating more?

Start off by figuring out your maintenance calories through a couple online calculators (I like SailRabbit) and try tracking and eating at that number for a week or so. Then, reduce by a 100-200 calories, and after another week or two, reduce again, until you get to a deficit of 300-500 calories per day. This deficit will be sustainable and will grant you slow, steady weight loss. Do NOT try to rush it.

Weight loss is just calories in, calories out. Don't bother with fancy diets, detoxes, etc. You don't need to do IF, unless it helps you stay within your goals. And if you do IF, you don't need to make it only 7-9 PM. This is really restrictive for a beginner dieter, and could lead to binging in the evenings. Most people that do IF have a 16:8 hr window. Maybe just pick one meal to skip (such as breakfast) and just start eating at lunchtime.

Be patient, and you'll see results. Eat foods that you enjoy, but can also fit into your caloric budget. Make sure to get enough protein (around .8 grams per pound of bodyweight) and enough fat. DNA isn't going to doom you to being overweight. A diet should reflect the way you eat for the rest of your life (although you'd be eating at maintenance calories once you hit your goal), so make it sustainable and enjoyable.