I keep going over my polyunsaturated and monounsaturated fats is this bad?

Options
My biggest problem is that I am working out five days a week doing 30 min interval running (hit) and strength training everyday a different body part to get rid of extra fat .. Every day i can’t seem to hit my protein level which i know how to change but i am wondering if it’s bad that i keep going over my limit on those healthy fats? Will this keep me from loosing belly fat?

Replies

• erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    what is your protein goal?
    A good rule of thumb is 0.7-0.8 grams per lb of goal body weight. so if your goal is 150 lbs, a goal of 105-120 grams of protein is reasonable.
    Not getting enough protein while losing weight can lead to a larger % of your loss coming from lean muscle, as opposed to the fat you want to lose. besides protein, taking part in a strength training program and not having too large of a deficit will help that too.
  • lemurcat2
    lemurcat2 Posts: 7,885 Member
    Options
    No, going over fat won't make a difference to fat loss if your calories aren't over.

Beyond that, the thing with poly and monounsaturated is some kind of bug. They are supposed to have a goal of NA, since there's no specific goal/limit that one needs to aim for, but for some reason it sometimes appears as if it were 0, so you would always be over.
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,814 Member
    Options
    No. Eating fat doesn't cause you to get fat or prevent you from losing fat. Only eating at a calorie surplus will do that. You also can't lose weight in a specific area by working out that area. While it's good to work out your whole body, the areas you will lose fat in are determined by genetics. The only way to lose fat is to have a calorie deficit.

It is fine to eat over your fat goal. The only issue with eating too much is if it crowds out your other macronutrients. So if you eat so much fat that you are not getting enough protein, that could be an issue, as protein is important for muscle maintenance. So you want to see if you can meet that. But having more fats in and of itself isn't an issue.
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 9,964 Member
    Options
    Everyone goes over -- or at least goes into the red -- on unsaturated fats, because, as pointed out, MFP sets it as 0 instead of MFP because there is no specific government-set goals for MUFA and PUFAs. Plus, if you hit a goal exactly on target, MFP shows you as in the red for that nutrient (another design flaw, I would argue). So if the goal is 0, you're never going to be below 0, and MFP will always you as in the red.