Hunger sensation even after eating?

Options
2»

Replies

• alondrakar
    alondrakar Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Are you consuming a large portion of empty calories everyday? I'd try to eat more nutrient dense foods and limit yourself to 1-2 snacks a day, if possible. I feel fuller eating a healthy salad than I do when I eat a cheese burger. Also, I only have one diet soda a week. This is after cutting down. No matter what others say, I don't believe they are all that great for you. Can you imagine what all they had to do to provide consumers with a soda that has zero calories?! Eventually, I'll cut them out completely from my diet but for now I am ok with one drink a week.
  • leslie9797
    leslie9797 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I get the EXACT same thing! I've tried eating more protein - e.g., having greek yogurt, or apples and PB - but I still get that gnawing hunger. I have acid reflux on and off and had gastritis at one point (found through endoscopy) that the doc told me can cause this hunger-like feeling. The problem is they don't know what causes the gastritis, which doesn't help much. I've also had my levels done for pre-diabetes and they are very good, so nothing is going on there. I've never been a diet soda drinker, and cut out 'real' soda three years ago. I drink water, coffee and an occasional glass of white wine.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    Hunger or appetite?

Hunger is a physiological need for food - any food - and is satiated with the presence of anything in your stomach.

Appetite is a response largely based upon behavior - your desire for food and this is towards a specific taste - sweet, salty, sour, etc.

Eat slowly, hydrate, and be mindful of the behaviors you establish around your meals.

Along with calorie counting be mindful of what foods satiate you and what foods stimulate appetite. For me my satiating foods are oatmeal, chicken, rich in fat foods, but everyone is different when it comes to taste and appetite. On the other hand the foods I need exercise caution around are pasta & chips.
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Hunger or appetite?

Hunger is a physiological need for food - any food - and is satiated with the presence of anything in your stomach.

Appetite is a response largely based upon behavior - your desire for food and this is towards a specific taste - sweet, salty, sour, etc.

Eat slowly, hydrate, and be mindful of the behaviors you establish around your meals.

Along with calorie counting be mindful of what foods satiate you and what foods stimulate appetite. For me my satiating foods are oatmeal, chicken, rich in fat foods, but everyone is different when it comes to taste and appetite. On the other hand the foods I need exercise caution around are pasta & chips.

Excellent example and explanation. I always ask myself if I would eat a bowl of zuchinni. If so I'm probably hungry, lol.

• yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,573 Member
    Options
    Look, we're fishing in the dark here. So every advice is as good as the next. Another idea:

could it be that you actually need some fast absorbing carbs? Do you wait too long with eating? Maybe you're just about on the threshold of getting hungry. Eating something that is slow to digest would mean you get hungry while you've just eaten.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I'll feel hungry after a large meal if I've let myself get too hungry in the first place. I try to take a rational look at what I just ate and decide if it should have been enough, and if so I'll make a herb tea or something and set a timer for 20-30 minutes and tell myself if I am still ravenous then, then I can get something else. Very rarely am I.
  • nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    smal48 wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    I feel that way when i eat some fruit or vegetables. i'm not sure why.

I always feel ravenous after eating apples specifically for some reason.

Oh me too, awful gnawing pains, Ive never heard anyone else say they experience this
  • zeejane4
    zeejane4 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    janvcooper wrote: »
    I hear you 100% coke zero must do something extreme to my blood sugar because it makes me ravenously hungry within 45 minutes of drinking it, I have given it up as a result.

Coke Zero is sweetened with aspartame, they test this towards the end of the video and it has no impact on blood sugar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CYfqvTZWilw&t=96s
  • workinonit1956
    workinonit1956 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with @zeejane4 and @apullum. The more carb I eat the hungrier I seem to be. I can't go too high in fat because I have no gall bladder but I try to keep my carbs a bit lower than MFP seems to recommend. Every time I find that I'm struggling I can almost always track it back to a higher carb intake. I know not everyone is the same but that's my experience.

Same, I still have my gallbladder but carbs-especially the starchy ones-make me want to keep eating.

• nooboots
    nooboots Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have to agree with @zeejane4 and @apullum. The more carb I eat the hungrier I seem to be. I can't go too high in fat because I have no gall bladder but I try to keep my carbs a bit lower than MFP seems to recommend. Every time I find that I'm struggling I can almost always track it back to a higher carb intake. I know not everyone is the same but that's my experience.

Same, I still have my gallbladder but carbs-especially the starchy ones-make me want to keep eating.

Me too and whenever I make the big mistake of saying that in order to support my regime I am trying not to eat bread, potatoes, rice and pasta (and things made of those things) as well as refined sugars, you always get someone saying 'oh you shouldnt cut all that out, they are fine in moderation'

Well there is no moderation for me with those things because they make me crave foods, so although I dont call myself a low carber ( I am sitting here eating quinoa and vegetables for instance) I know that starches and sugars set me off just wanting to eat,,, anything.
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    nooboots wrote: »
    smal48 wrote: »
    mbaker566 wrote: »
    I feel that way when i eat some fruit or vegetables. i'm not sure why.

I always feel ravenous after eating apples specifically for some reason.

Oh me too, awful gnawing pains, Ive never heard anyone else say they experience this

me three
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Hunger or appetite?

I will say I have the same problem right now.. better with some weight gain. I know mine is TRUE hunger vs appetite because a bag of raw broccoli looks just as good as... let's say....icecream. I don't know how much weight you lost, dietary style... ect. I have come to the IDEA, with some research and working with a professional, that my leptin is just shot. I have the IDEA that we have a BF settling range. Not to confused with BF set point. BF set point theory says that our BF % cant change. I have the idea settling range can. Various aspects of lifestyle, genetics, past dietary history, ect all come together to set a place where your body likes to sit. There are some human studies and rodent studies that point in that direction. I get the feeling that I will be called out for sources. If needed I will. Your leptin might be low. Could be many things. Best of luck.
  • psychod787
    Options
    yirara wrote: »
    Look, we're fishing in the dark here. So every advice is as good as the next. Another idea:

could it be that you actually need some fast absorbing carbs? Do you wait too long with eating? Maybe you're just about on the threshold of getting hungry. Eating something that is slow to digest would mean you get hungry while you've just eaten.

I would disagree that SOME fast acting carbs are not satiating. There have been studies that show that a plain white boiled potato is more satisfying ,even eaten by itself, than many foods. I mean the study was SUBJECTIVE, but lenda some ideas that might help.
  • yirara
    yirara Posts: 9,573 Member
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

I would disagree that SOME fast acting carbs are not satiating. There have been studies that show that a plain white boiled potato is more satisfying ,even eaten by itself, than many foods. I mean the study was SUBJECTIVE, but lenda some ideas that might help.

I think we're saying the same. I know that I crash very hard when I don't get some simple carbs at the right moment. I could have just eaten a small salami and crash half an hour later as that wasn't what I needed. My easily accessible energy stores are just not very big, and I've never managed to get fat adapted despite trying to do so via endurance training for a very long time.
  • psychod787
    Options
    psychod787 wrote: »

I think we're saying the same. I know that I crash very hard when I don't get some simple carbs at the right moment. I could have just eaten a small salami and crash half an hour later as that wasn't what I needed. My easily accessible energy stores are just not very big, and I've never managed to get fat adapted despite trying to do so via endurance training for a very long time.

I put little stock in the theory of being "fat adapted". I would love some studies that could point me in the direction of learning some things about it. Thanks!
  • staticsplit
    staticsplit Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    As everyone else said, I echo speaking to your doctor.

One thing hasn't come up that much but also take a look at what you're planning on eating. Is it actually enough? I got into a habit of eating what I thought was enough then I realised I was way too low on calories before dinner time, which for me set me up for ravenous evening hunger. I'd plan for a small, healthy dinner that still left me in too much of a deficit. Cue ravenous hunger and eating handfuls of dry cereal like a madwoman at midnight. As soon as I started eating more in the day and planning a slightly more substantial dinner, it stopped, for the most part. I can even have cereal in the house again!
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Try eating snacks that are higher in fat, like a small amount of nuts. It was eye opening for me how much fuller I would be for longer after eating something high fat than something with the same number of calories but high in carbs.