Protein intake needed to maintain muscle while dieting

Options
Hello - I have been reading many articles on how much protein intake is enough to maintain muscle while dieting. But from what I’ve read, there is a glaring inconsistency between the various articles. About half provide a number say 1g of protein per lb of body weight. The other half use the same number but per kg of body weight. But that’s a huge difference so I’m wondering if the folks on this forum might know.
Also, why is body weight used instead of lean body mass? Fat doesn’t require protein so why wouldn’t it be 1g per kg or lb of LBM?
Thanks in advance!

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    It is usually per g lean body mass, the issue is most people don't know their lean body mass so it is easier to say bodyweight or goal weight. From what I have read, 0.8-1g per lb lean body mass or goalweight minimum works pretty well and is good to ensure you maintain muscle while losing.
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    As mentioned, most people don't know their lean body mass so the value of 0.8-1.0 gram of protein per pound of body weight is simpler and easier to understand and calculate for most people. If you're seeing someone reference 0.8-1 grams of protein per kg of weight then someone probably dropped the ball on the conversion.

There's a pretty good summary of the scientific literature on the topic of protein requirements for bulking here
  • Bodyopus
    Bodyopus Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I appreciate the info.
  • Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    GaryRuns wrote: »
    As mentioned, most people don't know their lean body mass so the value of 0.8-1.0 gram of protein per pound of body weight is simpler and easier to understand and calculate for most people. If you're seeing someone reference 0.8-1 grams of protein per kg of weight then someone probably dropped the ball on the conversion.

There's a pretty good summary of the scientific literature on the topic of protein requirements for bulking here

You will find that the 0.8-1 gram per kg of body weight is the standard recommended dietary allowance for protein intake. It is the minimum needed to meet your basic nutritional requirements and prevent you from getting sick. Noone has 'dropped the ball on the conversion' when they talk of that amount. However, most of us benefit greatly from more than this minimum amount, especially if we are losing weight, building muscle or exercise a reasonable amount. This is why the 0.8-1 gram per pound is most often recommended on weight loss and bodybuilding sites.