Emotional while exercising?

Options
Does anyone else find when they start exercising , they start getting emotional? Its not all the time but for the first 5/10 mins i can feel tears welling with a whole load of emotions, determination,tearful,bit of anger, frustration, happiness, pride, are but a few and it just seems to flow... is it just me? or is my body playing tricks!! xx

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    When I first started taking Centergy (a combination of Power Yoga and Pilates) I started to cry at the end of the very first class. The reason was that I had finally found the exercise class I'd been looking for all along. I discovered it when my old gym closed. The teacher is amazing and it is a full body challenging workout.

I also almost teared up in my first Zumba class ever because I was so proud of myself for trying something new, challenging, and something that makes me sweat more than any other class.
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that it's harder to hold my emotions in when I'm exercising. My walls come down, and I'm more exposed. With everything that's been going on lately, yes, I do get a bit emotional when I exercise.
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    If you believe the history of yoga and how they viewed anatomy and physiology, it says we "carry" our emotions and pent-up frustrations in our hips. So anything you do to work the hips (exercise or intense stretching) can release all those pent-up emotions to the surface.
  • duqtape
    duqtape Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Totally.
    Its why Asics isn't wrong when their commercials say "Running releases more the sweat"
  • Run4UrHealth
    Run4UrHealth Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    Nope...I forget about everything when I exercise. I focus on getting through my work-out so everything else is pushed aside and then I feel sooo much better when I am finished.
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I often get emotional during the stretching section at the end of a class (though it depends on the music played)
  • Babushka_Dolly
    Babushka_Dolly Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    YES! When I used to go to an exercise group, which was mainly aerobics, I would always find myself getting overwhelmingly angry and upset. I have no idea why but it would bring all my emotions right to the surface and I would start to think about things that I didn't even know were bothering me! I'm glad it is not just me! x
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    First time I went on a trail run, it was a religious experience

Edit: um, oops.. note to mods: i meant "religious", not religious.
  • red01angel
    red01angel Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    It's not just you. I've been known to cry while I'm running. :blushing:
  • MiladyMetal
    MiladyMetal Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I find my anger come to the surface and help push my *kitten* jogging and running and then release and I feel better! It has to be the endorphins!
  • ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    If you believe the history of yoga and how they viewed anatomy and physiology, it says we "carry" our emotions and pent-up frustrations in our hips. So anything you do to work the hips (exercise or intense stretching) can release all those pent-up emotions to the surface.

Hips, shoulders, facial muscles...you name it. We DO carry our emotions, and stress will certainly affect posture and overall health.

For me, I see some stunning vistas on runs that move me to tears. Otherwise, I don't seem to think about much while running. Just my focus on the goal.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    OMG I always cry during Ripped in 30. That part where she does the burpees followed by those scissor kicks? I feel like such a failure. The worst is right at that part Jillian Michaels says "What are you going to cry now?"
  • ilookthetype
    ilookthetype Posts: 3,021 Member
    Options
    Generally I just start cursing.
  • AJWriter
    AJWriter Posts: 15
    Options
    Yes I usually feel quite angry and then sometimes I start on the is 'it really worth it'. Some times I feel elation at the end and sometimes I feel disappointed. It's weird really.
  • starracer23
    starracer23 Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I'm too busy checking out the booty around me to focus on emotions ;)

But really, I do get emotional. Some songs on my workout list help in that area as well.
  • carrie1128
    carrie1128 Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    I always feel elation at the end actually. Even if it was a bad workout. It took me so long to push myself through exercising every day until I actually started to look forward to that feeling. It can be addicting!
  • mkallie
    mkallie Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I might be sort of backwards -- I like to go exercise when I am emotional because it gives me an outlet for my feelings and gives me some "alone time" to sort of mentally work through stuff. I usually find that by the end, when I'm tired, I feel better too.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Oh yea... There have been times when I'm with my trainer and for no reason what so ever I just want to start bawling... I've also been known to get angry and throw medicine balls at my trainer, so it's def. not just you.
  • twistedsista0408
    Options
    Wow, I was embarrassed and thought I was just crazy... :P Thanks for sharing! I have to say that I get emotional quite often during my walks. Maybe its the quietness, allowing your mind to relax and think about goals, failures, stresses - maybe it's a way of releasing that stress - that is always an emotional process for me!
  • angkev2560
    Options
    Absolutely!!! When I am already in a good mood especially...and I am working really hard during cardio....Its like I feel so strong and proud of myself, I just can't help but to get emotional. Also, when I am on the eliptical, I usually always have "I got a feeling" is it called? by the Black Eyed Peas? Well that was the song we used to make our entrance at our wedding. It was all set up by our MC at the wedding that we would enter right at the point where the song gets really exciting. So needless to say, when I am listening to that song while working out, I get crazy emotional and excited. Its a great motivator!