Diet pop/Soda...

Options
Been following my macros to a T... but today I caved and had a Coke Zero... can anyone give me some information about drinking diet drinks here and there? Will it put a hold on weight loss?

Replies

• jessstefanick
    jessstefanick Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I must ad that I do feel it made me bloated
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,995 Member
    Options
    Boba_14626 wrote: »
    There is some research to suggest that dehydration may result from the consumption of diet sodas. The bloating is most likely from water retention. But one soda will not derail you at all.

The bloating is most likely from the carbonation. A feature of all sodas, not just diet ones.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,596 Member
    edited May 2019
    Options
    One of the reasons I stopped drinking diet soda was because of the dehydration articles. Another was because I wasn't drinking any water in and by itself whatsoever and I was trying to figure out how to get out of a plateau (I didn't have the mfp forums back then, OK?!) :)

After years of being off it, I started back up last summer.

But, yeah, 0 calories drinks add...0 calories to your diet so no, it won't hinder weight loss.
  • paperpudding
    Options
    If it causes cravings and you then eat too much of the high calorie foods you crave - no suprises that you don't lose weight.

Whether it does cause cravings is an individual subjective thing.
    People need to assess this on themselves individually ( calorie tracking would enable you to see you were consuming too many calories after succumbing to cravings )

Me personally - it has no such cravings effect so I happily continue drinking it and ignore that as it is a non issue for me.
  • Dgil1975
    Dgil1975 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Diet soda, won’t directly hurt you at all in terms of weight loss. However there are some studies out there that consuming diet soda can lead to weight gain, which if I recall is due to the sweetening effect in the drink making one crave other sugary treats. I drank diet soda up until the new year, and I decided to give it up. It was hard at first, but now it’s second nature. I have the odd diet drink if we go out for dinner, but other than that it’s water, coffee or tea. The biggest thing I have noticed is that my cravings for chocolate and ice cream have reduced drastically which is the best benefit for me as I could do some damage to the calorie count when I get into that stuff
  • paperpudding
    Options
    Dgil1975 wrote: »
    Diet soda, won’t directly hurt you at all in terms of weight loss. However there are some studies out there that consuming diet soda can lead to weight gain, which if I recall is due to the sweetening effect in the drink making one crave other sugary treats. I drank diet soda up until the new year, and I decided to give it up. It was hard at first, but now it’s second nature. I have the odd diet drink if we go out for dinner, but other than that it’s water, coffee or tea. The biggest thing I have noticed is that my cravings for chocolate and ice cream have reduced drastically which is the best benefit for me as I could do some damage to the calorie count when I get into that stuff

Well, yes - and like I said to previous poster - if You individually find it causing cravings and you then over eat, then, sure, dont drink it.

For those of us for whom it does not have this effect - safe to ignore that as a non issue.

Calorie tracking, of course, will help people to see what they are over eating.