Is it okay to go over your protein?

Is it all right to go over your protein as long as you are still within your calorie goal. I am having a hard time and keep going over my protein by 14 g roughly per day

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Yes. Enjoy.
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    yes
  • MikePTY
    MikePTY Posts: 3,816 Member
    Yes. At some point, a certain amount of protein stops having any more added benefit, but there's been no evidence that having too much protein (at least at levels that humans can reasonably consume) in healthy people has any negative side effects.
  • jessstefanick
    jessstefanick Posts: 12 Member
    Perfect thank you. I wasn’t sure if it was going to stall weight loss or not
  • Panini911
    Panini911 Posts: 2,325 Member
    Perfect thank you. I wasn’t sure if it was going to stall weight loss or not

weight loss is about calories in calories out. not when or what you eat (those matter for general health/satiety)
  • UroIogist
    UroIogist Posts: 6 Member
    Just adding on to what others have said. It’s not harmful to go a little higher in protein, and it may help you lose weight if that is your goal. Protein has a much higher TEF calorie burn (Thermic effect of food) than carbs or fats and is the most filling macronutrient for the least amount of calories.
  • Buff_Man
    Buff_Man Posts: 622 Member
    how many grams of protein are you aiming for? 0.8g per lb bodyweight is plenty
  • shaf238
    shaf238 Posts: 4,021 Member
    Perfectly fine, eat for satiety within your calorie goals. Happy days.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,515 Member
    And: there is some evidence that protein doesn't actually provide 4kcals/g, as is commonly estimated. If you want to read the arguments, google "protein induced thermogenesis."
  • GaryRuns
    GaryRuns Posts: 508 Member
    Yep. The only drawback is money. Protein is, generally, more expensive than carbs and fats.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,088 Member
    Yes... if you dont want all of yours, I will take some.....
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 31,721 Member
    As long as it doesn't stop you from getting the minimum essential fats, micronutrients, and fiber, it'll be fine.

And even if it does, it won't stop you losing weight in the short run. In the long run, well-rounded nutrition is good for health, energy level, and body composition . . . most of us want to be healthy, not just thin, right? ;)