Nutritional Struggle

Options
suzanne6094
suzanne6094 Posts: 104 Member
So i am petite and struggle to eat enough calories to have lasting energy, I train BJJ 3 times a week and on the other days do restoration exercises like yoga etc.

I use myfitnesspal to track my calories etc but still don't get enough good nutrition in,

I also suffer from dehydration often.... even thou I try to drink enough water.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Have a Kick *kitten* Day

Replies

• KathyL07
    KathyL07 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I have the same issues. Am curious to see some suggestions!!
  • positiveyou146
    positiveyou146 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I guess your jujutsu is energetic and on fitness pall creates a fake reading ? The fact that you do strenuous activity means you have to compensate with high protein, high carbs and plenty of fruit and veg - sometimes this can be hard to try and squeeze in - have you tried adding supplements such as adding a meal replacement or boosting your protein intake from shakes and alike ? Energy comes from various forms all combined to create the desired results - but just bulking on carbs is never the answer
  • suzanne6094
    Options
    Thank you for your answer, just to take in my daily calories is a mission, as it feels like I have to always eat even when I don't feel hungry,

I think your suggestion is a wise one, to just add whey shakes in between my meals, maybe at 11:00 or just before bed as a snack.

Yesterday I was 30g under with my protein, so that extra shake can come in handy, I also try to drink my vegan Gorilla Gain before training.

I really really love my BJJ and training, it is hard work but so so rewarding, just struggle badly on the recovery and nutritional side of things
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,130 Member
    Options
    Have you tried supplementing electrolytes? It may help with the dehydration, particularly with you being quite active.

This might help with upping protein:
    m8lhoux0knxh.jpg

• suzanne6094
    Options
    I have bought Himalayan salt which I add into my BCAA drink during and before my work out.

I also drink some in my water during the day.

I have never been a big eater, rather sticking to eating every 3 hours to maintain my low blood pressure issues.

All for wholesome real food but sometimes a quick shake is just what the body needs....

Not eating enough is my biggest problem and just started tracking my progress on MFPal again, so will get a better idea of what is going on.
  • liaoverbrook
    liaoverbrook Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Have you tried supplementing electrolytes? It may help with the dehydration, particularly with you being quite active.

This might help with upping protein:
    m8lhoux0knxh.jpg

Thank you for this! I am trying to eat more nutritiously and have struggled finding new foods/the correct foods to eat, this is so informative!
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    I have bought Himalayan salt which I add into my BCAA drink during and before my work out.

I also drink some in my water during the day.

I have never been a big eater, rather sticking to eating every 3 hours to maintain my low blood pressure issues.

All for wholesome real food but sometimes a quick shake is just what the body needs....

Not eating enough is my biggest problem and just started tracking my progress on MFPal again, so will get a better idea of what is going on.

Perhaps more calorie dense foods might be the way forward if you're not a big eater in terms of volume - things like oily dressings, nuts, avocados, nut butters, full fat products vs diet/low fat versions.
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I drink a LOT of water and I'm very active, but I would still get these gnarly cramps and soreness in my legs. I started drinking an electrolyte mix every morning prior to working out and taking magnesium citrate/malate twice per day which has alleviated it completely.
  • suzanne6094
    Options
    Been trying to focus on more calorie dense foods esp peanut butter, avocado etc we only use full fat products in the house

• suzanne6094
    Options
    Maxematics wrote: »
    I drink a LOT of water and I'm very active, but I would still get these gnarly cramps and soreness in my legs. I started drinking an electrolyte mix every morning prior to working out and taking magnesium citrate/malate twice per day which has alleviated it completely.

I tried magnesium at night but it effects my low blood pressure, I drink the fizzy tablets you mix with water, every time I start taking magnesium I can feel the effects on my blood pressure.
  • suzanne6094
    Options
    350 calories under what I should eat today and I really tried to eat a lot. Seems need to add another whey shake in, probably in the morning when I wake up, spot on with the fats but not the rest esp protein which is 25 to go
  • tinkerbellang83
    Options
    350 calories under what I should eat today and I really tried to eat a lot. Seems need to add another whey shake in, probably in the morning when I wake up, spot on with the fats but not the rest esp protein which is 25 to go

Maybe just gradually build up to eating more of those calories, plan your day ahead/pre-log so you can see if you're getting in enough of everything over the day rather than trying to fix it at the end of the day.
  • suzanne6094
    Options
    Thanks , I am realising that I am eating too little during the day, as you mentioned above, gonna try add more calories through out my whole day and not be stuck at night with an access of calories to eat...

It is such a process, feels like I am forever eating but guess my metabolism is high and need to keep up with demand of my body