Atkins and Weight lifting newbie

Options
**Disclaimer** Your negative views on Atkins not needed please, only advice from people in similar situation!!!

I am finishing my mommy challenge, a group of mommies that are awesome and have helped me lose 17 pounds!!! I am ready to take it all the way and go from 153 to 135. I am going to start a low carb lifesyle on Sunday August 29th. I have researched them all and i choose Atkins. I am going to focus on protein and veggies, with low carbs added. The carbs i will eat are: vegetables, fruit, and brown rice. I will eventually add back in wheat bread, potatoes, and whole wheat pasta. I will also stay within a calorie limit of 1750. I know that low carb diets state counting is not necessary, but i am now a counter, lol, and i dont want to over induldge in steak :happy: My hope is to get to my goal and enter maintainence stage with a different attitude. I live off of processed foods. All who are MFP friends of mine know that on any given day my diary can consist of all candy!!! I dont want to not eat carbs, i want to get into a habit of eating GOOD and HEALTHY carbs. So here i go!! I am a planner which is why this is so important. With my mommy challenge ending and my workout routine of Ripped in 30 coming to a close, i needed a new plan. In addition to low carbs i am going to start lifting..ekkkk.so nervous!! I am so ready though! I am approaching my last 15 pounds and as Jillian Micheals says "its vanity weight at this point, its gonna take all your might". I want to lose my gut!! I have always admired women with guns! I will follow Jamie Eason's 12 week program. 3 days of lifting and 2 of cardio. My cardio will consist of a lot of running as i am also training for a 5k. So...my questions are:

What low carb snacks are good and feeling?

I hate eggs!!! Breakfast ideas anyone?

On rest days- do you eat less calories?

Are protein shakes necessary when lifting?

If i am lifting at 5am; what is a great quickie to put on my stomach?

Thanks in advance...:heart::heart: :heart:

Replies

• AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I'll come back to this when I get home tonight. I'm about to leave work, but I think I might have some constructive advice for you =)
  • dietfree2012
    dietfree2012 Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    I'll come back to this when I get home tonight. I'm about to leave work, but I think I might have some constructive advice for you =)

Thanks im so excited to start!! i do cardio sunday and plan to cook out my meals on sunday too. i am just at a lost regarding breakfast and snacks. Im a processed food junkie so im used to heating up a packet of instant grits....i hate oatmeal too...lol.
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Just curious, if you're planning to add carbs back in, why are you doing Atkins and not south beach?

If you've got your mind made up we can't stop you, just curious.
    -Matty
  • edorice
    edorice Posts: 4,519 Member
    Options
    Maybe you can try hard boiled eggs instead of scrambled.
    Raw almonds and sunflower seeds are a great low carb snack.
    You should check out www.marksdailyapple.com for more low carb food ideas.
    Protein shakes are great for getting in more protein. I use Nu-tek Pro 5 banana flavor from Nutrishop. it's low in calories as well.
  • dietfree2012
    Options
    Just curious, if you're planning to add carbs back in, why are you doing Atkins and not south beach?

-Matty

it was a tough choice between the 2, lol, but yes mind is made up..but atkins adds carbs back in too. i will read alot from south beach as well too. i am interested in the knowledge of the diets, but my main focus is to switch from processed foods to more natural healthy foods. i live and die for processed foods right now...i need a change asap.
  • dietfree2012
    Options
    Maybe you can try hard boiled eggs instead of scrambled.
    Raw almonds and sunflower seeds are a great low carb snack.
    You should check out www.marksdailyapple.com for more low carb food ideas.
    Protein shakes are great for getting in more protein. I use Nu-tek Pro 5 banana flavor from Nutrishop. it's low in calories as well.

didnt think of sunflower seeds, thx....i just hate eggs in general! for snacks im planning fruit so far, but i dont wanna get bored with it. im interested in a lifestyle change so im seeking different ideas. i usually do 100 calorie packs of junk and a piece of fruit..i wanna keep the fruit and lose the junk!
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    it was a tough choice between the 2, lol, but yes mind is made up..but atkins adds carbs back in too. i will read alot from south beach as well too. i am interested in the knowledge of the diets, but my main focus is to switch from processed foods to more natural healthy foods. i live and die for processed foods right now...i need a change asap.

YES!! You are doing it right :) I suggest finding a local farmers market to buy meat and veg (and even eggs)
  • jamie78
    jamie78 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    WOW!! You wasnt joking about the candy and carbs you eat!!! lol
    I will tell you that if you are planning on lifting and doing cardio that you really need to eat atleast 75 to 100 in carbs a day or you will feel like crap. I was trying to do it on 50 or less a day and I did that for about 3 weeks and all I wanted to do is lay around. I really didnt give it all I had in the work out either. You can get good carbs in from fruits, nuts, beans, veggies and also high fiber grains.
    as far as a quick snack before lifting I eat a banana or an apple.
  • shattah206
    Options
    I just got started, but am also very carb-conscious and eat weight watchers smoked string cheese every morning for breakfast. I know that doesn't necessarily get you away from "processed foods" but it works for me at 5:00 a.m.! If I have any leftover turkey or chicken I will sometimes add that, depending on my overall eating plan for that day.
  • dietfree2012
    Options
    WOW!! You wasnt joking about the candy and carbs you eat!!! lol
    I will tell you that if you are planning on lifting and doing cardio that you really need to eat atleast 75 to 100 in carbs a day or you will feel like crap. I was trying to do it on 50 or less a day and I did that for about 3 weeks and all I wanted to do is lay around. I really didnt give it all I had in the work out either. You can get good carbs in from fruits, nuts, beans, veggies and also high fiber grains.
    as far as a quick snack before lifting I eat a banana or an apple.

im aiming for around 135..so hopefully that will be enough; if not i will adjust accordingly...i just have to cut the junk, lol...i eat it all..cookies, rice kripy treats, i had a piece of red velvet this morning!!! although i am a pro at staying within my caloric limit, whats in that limit isnt usually pretty, lol.
  • NaomiLyn15
    NaomiLyn15 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I also eat low carb, but i don't follow any of the diets out there. I only eat whole grains, and unprocessed foods. I have a focus on more fat and protein, and get most of my carbs through fruits and veggies.

Some of my favorite snacks? easy, fruit!! Tons of fruit. I also snack on baby carrots, celery with peanut butter (natural, not Jiff), To satisfy my sweet tooth, I bye 100% fruit strips (like fruit roll ups, but nothing is added, just blended fruit dried). I do snack on hard boild eggs, but if you don't like them then that won't work. I love hard boiled eggs, but i hate scrambled. :)

I eat steel cut oats for breakfast. It is an unprocessed version of the normal oatmeal. if you don't like oatmeal, try this it is different than quick oats. Much more filling and has a very different texture. I also eat greek yogurt and sometimes add fruit to it. Those are my go to breakfasts that are low in carbs, high in protein.

Stick to your normal MFP calories on rest days, and on the days you work out, eat all or most of your workout calories. You need them to build muscle. If you don't eat them, you will start to burn muscle rather than fat.

Protein shakes aren't required, but they will help you to repaire the muscle that you burn quicker. be careful what you get though. there are meal replacement shakes, and then there are just protein shakes. They are very different in wht they provide. I use a whey protein that is 100 cal a serving, and about 11 grams of carbs. The shakes will help to reduce the pain the day after you work out if you drink if within 30 minutes after you finish working out.

When I work out in the morning, I drink a protein shake before and after my workout, and eat a hard boiled egg. Since you don't do eggs, try greek yogurt. the protein in it will help to give you energy to get going.

Good luck. Friend me if you would like. :)
  • dietfree2012
    Options
    I also eat low carb, but i don't follow any of the diets out there. I only eat whole grains, and unprocessed foods. I have a focus on more fat and protein, and get most of my carbs through fruits and veggies.

Some of my favorite snacks? easy, fruit!! Tons of fruit. I also snack on baby carrots, celery with peanut butter (natural, not Jiff), To satisfy my sweet tooth, I bye 100% fruit strips (like fruit roll ups, but nothing is added, just blended fruit dried). I do snack on hard boild eggs, but if you don't like them then that won't work. I love hard boiled eggs, but i hate scrambled. :)

I eat steel cut oats for breakfast. It is an unprocessed version of the normal oatmeal. if you don't like oatmeal, try this it is different than quick oats. Much more filling and has a very different texture. I also eat greek yogurt and sometimes add fruit to it. Those are my go to breakfasts that are low in carbs, high in protein.

Stick to your normal MFP calories on rest days, and on the days you work out, eat all or most of your workout calories. You need them to build muscle. If you don't eat them, you will start to burn muscle rather than fat.

Protein shakes aren't required, but they will help you to repaire the muscle that you burn quicker. be careful what you get though. there are meal replacement shakes, and then there are just protein shakes. They are very different in wht they provide. I use a whey protein that is 100 cal a serving, and about 11 grams of carbs. The shakes will help to reduce the pain the day after you work out if you drink if within 30 minutes after you finish working out.

When I work out in the morning, I drink a protein shake before and after my workout, and eat a hard boiled egg. Since you don't do eggs, try greek yogurt. the protein in it will help to give you energy to get going.

Good luck. Friend me if you would like. :)

naomi..this is so helpful!!! definitely friending you...sad to say but the fruit strips excited me the most about the post, lol...you are the 2nd person to recommend hard boiled eggs over scrambled..maybe ill give it one more shot and try boiled. thx for the advice!!
  • Jenna70
    Jenna70 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    For breakfast I switch between eggs (which I like baked with cheese, veggies and sometimes ham, like a soufle) and Muffin In A Minute (commonly referred to as MIM) which is made with flaxseed, not flour and done in the microwave. I usually top the MIM with peanut butter or cream cheese, but you can be creative and add whatever sounds good to you. Here is the url for all about MIMs: http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase1/WhatYouCanEatinthisPhase/AllAboutMIMs.aspx

It takes 5 minutes or less to make a MIM or a bit longer if you microwave it and then pop it in a toaster oven to crisp it up a bit. Change up the flavor based on what is on the website or check out the Atkins Support threads here on MFP for some ideas. I like to make them in a mini Pyrex dish I have that is about 1 1/2 cup capacity instead of the mug they use. I also use a mini rectangular Pyrex dish... the MIM can then be sliced into two pieces like bread, toasted and used for sandwiches. :)

I snack on celery sticks with peanut butter or cream cheese, various nuts in 1oz increments, parmesan crisps, ham & swiss roll ups or sometimes just a low carb shake if nothing else is handy. I bought EAS AdvantEDGE carb control in chocolate... there are only 2 grams net carbs, I do also like the Atkins shakes, but they are more expensive. :)
  • dietfree2012
    Options
    For breakfast I switch between eggs (which I like baked with cheese, veggies and sometimes ham, like a soufle) and Muffin In A Minute (commonly referred to as MIM) which is made with flaxseed, not flour and done in the microwave. I usually top the MIM with peanut butter or cream cheese, but you can be creative and add whatever sounds good to you. Here is the url for all about MIMs: http://www.atkins.com/Program/Phase1/WhatYouCanEatinthisPhase/AllAboutMIMs.aspx

It takes 5 minutes or less to make a MIM or a bit longer if you microwave it and then pop it in a toaster oven to crisp it up a bit. Change up the flavor based on what is on the website or check out the Atkins Support threads here on MFP for some ideas. I like to make them in a mini Pyrex dish I have that is about 1 1/2 cup capacity instead of the mug they use. I also use a mini rectangular Pyrex dish... the MIM can then be sliced into two pieces like bread, toasted and used for sandwiches. :)

I snack on celery sticks with peanut butter or cream cheese, various nuts in 1oz increments, parmesan crisps, ham & swiss roll ups or sometimes just a low carb shake if nothing else is handy. I bought EAS AdvantEDGE carb control in chocolate... there are only 2 grams net carbs, I do also like the Atkins shakes, but they are more expensive. :)

is the MIM good?
  • dittiepe
    dittiepe Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Ooh! snack ideas: string cheese and summer sausage with celery
    sugar free jello with redi-whip
    Ricotta creme
    MiM cocoa flavor
    Almonds and macadamia nuts
    Since you're not in induction, berries such as blueberry, raspberry, blackberry and redi-whip

For breakfast, MiM is great. You can also make pancakes out of it. Have some lunch meat such as turkey or chicken and a slice of cheese in the center and roll them up. 3-5 of those are pretty filling.

I've got some low carb recipes on a website in my sig below, if you'd like some more ideas. :)
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options

-Matty

Because it is part of the Atkins Lifestyle plan.
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    I will respond after I think about snacks and stuff for a bit............I eat tons of eggs so a lot of my snacks are eggs.
  • dietfree2012
    Options
    Ricotta creme
    MiM cocoa flavor
    Since you're not in induction, berries such as blueberry, raspberry, blackberry and redi-whip

For breakfast, MiM is great. You can also make pancakes out of it. Have some lunch meat such as turkey or chicken and a slice of cheese in the center and roll them up. 3-5 of those are pretty filling.

I've got some low carb recipes on a website in my sig below, if you'd like some more ideas. :)

going now!!! thx!!
  • dietfree2012
    Options
    Ricotta creme
    MiM cocoa flavor

going now!!! thx!! and how did i forget jello!!
  • Cici2329
    Cici2329 Posts: 35
    Options
    I'm planning a very similar approach, so I love this thread. Some great ideas. I've looked at the MIM recipe, but haven't tried it. Need to get the ingredients because it sounds great.

Cici