Pre Workout Supplements?

Looking to see what you may be using for pre-workout supplements?

I am currently using no xplode ... I recently talked to someone at the gym and they said it really PUMPED them up! I kind of giggled because I guess I feel it may give me a little energy, but I sure didn't feel as PuMpEd as his crazy self was.

Anything else out there that is worth taking to get a little boost of energy for the gym? I like the no xplode but would be open to trying something new!

Replies

• RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Sensitivity to caffeine may cause one to become more jittery than another, so it's possible they're just not as tolerant of caffeine. I looked at the ingredients and it reminded me of redbull, so I'll suggest that.
  • shaykinhand
    shaykinhand Posts: 80 Member
    Well I don't drink any caffeine (apart from my pre workout I guess)... maybe I'm just naturally mellow :smiley:
  • RelCanonical
    RelCanonical Posts: 3,882 Member
    Well I don't drink any caffeine (apart from my pre workout I guess)... maybe I'm just naturally mellow :smiley:

That's true, some are just more naturally tolerant so caffeine doesn't make them as jittery. I get very jittery, but not in a constructive way, haha. I wouldn't be able to work out at all.
  • psychod787
    psychod787 Posts: 4,099 Member
    COFFEE!
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    I recently switched my exercise from evening to super duper early morning before work. Needless to say I need a boost to make that happen! I've been using these caffeine pills and they work great!

(3-Pack) 200mg Caffeine Pills with 100mg L-Theanine for Energy, Focus and Clarity + MCT Oil from 100% Coconuts, Long-Lasting Smooth Capsule Extended Release https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078X2S1WS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_71B3CbW0G2PP5
  • Teabythesea_
    Teabythesea_ Posts: 559 Member
    They may have been talking about the physical pump, like swollen muscle pump. My "pre workout" is usually coffee and a high carb snack but I keep original C4 on hand for the days I need an extra boost. The cherry lemonade flavor is the only one I like.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,486 Member
    I recently switched my exercise from evening to super duper early morning before work. Needless to say I need a boost to make that happen! I've been using these caffeine pills and they work great!

(3-Pack) 200mg Caffeine Pills with 100mg L-Theanine for Energy, Focus and Clarity + MCT Oil from 100% Coconuts, Long-Lasting Smooth Capsule Extended Release https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078X2S1WS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_71B3CbW0G2PP5

I'd wean yourself off that. I was at the gym at 5 AM most days for years. Just have to acclimate yourself to it.

600mg of caffeine is 200mg more than recommended for healthy adults for the whole day.
  • chris89topher
    chris89topher Posts: 389 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

I'd wean yourself off that. I was at the gym at 5 AM most days for years. Just have to acclimate yourself to it.

600mg of caffeine is 200mg more than recommended for healthy adults for the whole day.

One pill is 200mg which is equal to two cups of coffee. I only take one and I compensate by reducing my coffee intake. My max caffeine is 300mg per day, sometimes 400mg.
  • Theoldguy1
    Theoldguy1 Posts: 2,486 Member
    Theoldguy1 wrote: »

One pill is 200mg which is equal to two cups of coffee. I only take one and I compensate by reducing my coffee intake. My max caffeine is 300mg per day, sometimes 400mg.

Got it. When you said 3 pack in your post thought you meant 3 200mg pills.
  • Danp
    Danp Posts: 1,561 Member
    Years ago I was given a tub of this stuff called 'Purple Wraath' which I was told was a pre-workout supplement.

I used it a few times. Not sure which ingredient would have caused it but it made my skin feel all tingly and weird. Don't recall it really doing anything (except the tingles) and didn't use it very long.
  • Cahgetsfit
    Cahgetsfit Posts: 1,912 Member
    @danp the tingles is beta alanine.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    The immediate-release form of nicotinic acid can also cause the tingles: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/niacin-flush

I don't get that with this brand of B complex: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001LXRWWE/
  • shaykinhand
    shaykinhand Posts: 80 Member
    Thanks for the input... I have it on hand for the days that I'm dragging. It tends to give me a little boost (even if it's just a mental thing, it works). I work two jobs back to back 6 days a week so my gym time is only after those starting about 7-8pm. Some days it'd be nice to have something to give me a little boost from job #2 to the gym lol.
  • magnusthenerd
    magnusthenerd Posts: 1,207 Member
    I'd recommend that if you are going to take a preworkout, at least get one that uses no proprietary blends.
    A proprietary blend means they'll list the ingredients and the total weight of them, but not the weight of each one, meaning you'll have no idea if the dose the prewreck has is even clinically significant. A company that just wants to slap buzz-words on a product to get consumer attention without any regard to if the amounts actually matter to a savvy consumer is a company that is selling hype, not results.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    edited May 2019
    I'll drink something like a crystal lite energy or green tea packet in a large bottle of water in the afternoon before working out. Sometimes I add electrolytes because it's so hot here. And I have a little snack before lifting, like some fruit. I don't have anything before my morning cardio. Only water.