Weight loss

sallysohn
sallysohn Posts: 1 Member
I'm 5'5 with a good amount of muscle at 130. Trying to shed a lot of fat but also trying to build muscle get stronger. What should my goal weight be? And I've been at 1,600 cals for a week, is that a good caloric intake?

Replies

• Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    You can't be in a deficit and build muscle. If you're cutting, you'll want to maintain the muscle you have. Bulking is for building muscle. I agree with estherdragon, you might want to try recomp
  • whmscll
    whmscll Posts: 2,254 Member
    Some knowledgeable people on here have debunked the myth that you can never build muscle while in a deficit. If you are at a small deficit and are lifting with progressive overload and do not already have a lot of lean muscle it is sometimes possible.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I would look into recomp if you want to build muscle and lose fat over time, so maintaining your weight. You can cut down a bit more but already being in a normal weight range you will likely retain your muscle vs build it (at least not very significantly, if at all).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,012 Member
    And to be more explicit about goal weight: I don't think any of us can answer how much you should weigh. That's very personal, both in the sense that your preferences count more than anyone else's (except maybe your doctor's ;) ), and in the sense that body configurations differ wildly between individuals.

From your post, you obviously understand that being muscular makes a difference to the best weight range for an individual, but there are also factors like pelvic width, breast size, shoulder width, and more. Those can make big differences in appearance for people of the same height, and even the same muscularity, at any given weight.
  • obeidnorhan
    obeidnorhan Posts: 1 Member
    Any suggestions on losing weight? I’ve plateaued and I don’t know what else to do. I’m 5”11 and weigh 164 my goal is 145-150. Once I lose the weight I want to build muscle. But seems so impossible because my body weight literally isn’t going anywhere. And I’m starting to get aggravated. Please help. I work out 4x a week. Cardio/ weight lifting. 2 days only legs. 2 days full body .
  • ceiswyn
    ceiswyn Posts: 2,253 Member
    Any suggestions on losing weight? I’ve plateaued and I don’t know what else to do. I’m 5”11 and weigh 164 my goal is 145-150. Once I lose the weight I want to build muscle. But seems so impossible because my body weight literally isn’t going anywhere. And I’m starting to get aggravated. Please help. I work out 4x a week. Cardio/ weight lifting. 2 days only legs. 2 days full body .

You've told us all about your exercise routine, but weight loss is mostly made in the kitchen.

What's your calorie goal? Are you mostly under it? Any cheat days? Are you logging diligently, including cooking oils, sauces, vegetables and drinks? Are you weighing things rather than guesstimating? Are you using good DB entries?